You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Preview Image Icons not showing for Affinity Photo v 2.1 on MacBook Pro M2 Max

Hi...

This is probably my fault, but one of the reason I absolutely hated Photoshop was that they stopped saving the preview in the icon. 

Right after I upgraded to the Affinity Software Suite v2 I also upgraded to a sweet 2023 M2 Pro Max MBP and so the icon previews were working just fine on my old 2015 MBP, and I was using the v2 suite on it. But after using the v2 Photo quite a bit, the crazy non-descript AFPhoto logos are making it impossible to find the stuff I am looking for all over again.

Now, I know I can probably find a utility to organize all my files, but I can do just fine in MacOS if I can just see what I have been saving. Besides, I don't have the time to learn something new until this project is done.

So, I am wondering what I am doing wrong? Is there a pref/setting? Asking for my sanity.

Thank you in advance! -the dumb guy

Are the AF files associated with their respective programs?  and does the quicklook work i.e. click on the file and press space to get a preview before opening with Preview?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Quick view works with the spacebar. The Affinity software suite was installed on the old Mac and I just moved everything over to here (the M2 Max Mac) via the Migration Assistant, so there may have been some sort of install thing that didn't happen on this machine, maybe?

I have no idea how to associate filetypes on a Mac, yet.

• Staff
21 hours ago, SymbioticDesign said:

Quick view works with the spacebar. The Affinity software suite was installed on the old Mac and I just moved everything over to here (the M2 Max Mac) via the Migration Assistant, so there may have been some sort of install thing that didn't happen on this machine, maybe?

I have no idea how to associate filetypes on a Mac, yet.

Hi Symbiotic Design,

It may be worth trying to reinstall the apps to see if it solves this issue for you.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Also consider using First Aid from Disk Utility to sort out any migration bugs like permissions etc

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

It may be a Finder thing: in List view I see generic icons (for all apps, standard .jpgs and .pdfs too, not just the Affinity suite). But if I switch to Icon view or Column view I see the full icon preview. This is in macOS Ventura.

ADD: Alternatively there's some useful advice at MacRumors. I can't see how re-installing the Affinity apps is going to help.

Affinity Photo 2.0.3,  Affinity Designer 2.0.3, Affinity Publisher 2.0.3, Mac OSX 13, 2018 MacBook Pro 15" Intel.

• 2 weeks later...