You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with drawing part of a circle for a logo

Hi @clk3 amd welcome to the forums...

Could you clarify what it is you are wanting to achieve, e.g., are you wanting 'handmade by' to appear on one line around the curve with 'kirkby' as shown? If you could let us know the end result you're looking for that would be really helpful...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

If you mean that you want the circle (or part of it) to remain after you’ve added the text, you need to duplicate the original circle beforehand. When you create text on a path in Designer, the curve or shape that you started with always loses its stroke.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

Hi and thank you for the welcome.

I’ve submitted a very rough thumbnail of what I’m trying to achieve (which I thought was quite simple but it all alludes me to be honest.).

but I will keep trying

E0ECCDE4-2B05-4E36-BE25-E3F4C467E705.jpeg

1 hour ago, Hangman said:

Hi @clk3 amd welcome to the forums...

Could you clarify what it is you are wanting to achieve, e.g., are you wanting 'handmade by' to appear on one line around the curve with 'kirkby' as shown? If you could let us know the end result you're looking for that would be really helpful...

Sorry I didn’t reply directly but hope you can see what I have posted thank you

39 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If you mean that you want the circle (or part of it) to remain after you’ve added the text, you need to duplicate the original circle beforehand. When you create text on a path in Designer, the curve or shape that you started with always loses its stroke.

Hi Alfred

thanks for asking me to clarify. I have posted a very rough thumbnail which I hope shows what I am trying to achieve.

I am struggling with it all (letter spacing especially) but I will not give up 😊

27D5CF3A-CAEB-46ED-A6FE-8283A1C4B390.jpeg

1 hour ago, clk3 said:

I am struggling with it all (letter spacing especially) but I will not give up 😊

That’s the spirit! For letter spacing you need to adjust the tracking, and for text positioning relative to the curves you need to adjust the baseline.

A0AB4CFC-08B5-4043-A2D4-CCF024F6F94E.jpeg.2ad21398198a15b2a01123909f31c6ad.jpeg

0CB5BB8B-5516-4FB9-B8D6-05FEE8324F80.jpeg.3a41e685aec234c34cf1369266494fbf.jpeg

775D3028-E5F8-4DCD-A642-D722F6200B1B.jpeg.cecbde7b9f30205a9d53787732f44340.jpeg

Here’s an example of the kind of result you can achieve:

32A82689-0F53-455D-81CE-FCC4C18A85D4.jpeg.e7ce7069a71fb5edffcd151f6901f6a6.jpeg

Alfred spacer.png

For cheaters see below (sorry Alfred)

handmade C.afdesign

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

12 minutes ago, NotMyFault said:

No need for apologies! I would have posted my *.afdesign file, but I currently only have the beta release of the new AD2 version installed and I wanted to avoid introducing an extra layer of potential confusion.

Alfred spacer.png

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

That’s the spirit! For letter spacing you need to adjust the tracking, and for text positioning relative to the curves you need to adjust the baseline.

A0AB4CFC-08B5-4043-A2D4-CCF024F6F94E.jpeg.2ad21398198a15b2a01123909f31c6ad.jpeg

0CB5BB8B-5516-4FB9-B8D6-05FEE8324F80.jpeg.3a41e685aec234c34cf1369266494fbf.jpeg

775D3028-E5F8-4DCD-A642-D722F6200B1B.jpeg.cecbde7b9f30205a9d53787732f44340.jpeg

Here’s an example of the kind of result you can achieve:

32A82689-0F53-455D-81CE-FCC4C18A85D4.jpeg.e7ce7069a71fb5edffcd151f6901f6a6.jpeg

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

handmade C.afdesign

Hi I don’t seem to be able to download the file but thank you 🤔

2 hours ago, clk3 said:

I don’t seem to be able to download the file

You can’t open it after downloading, or you can’t actually download it in the first place? :/

Alfred spacer.png

6 hours ago, clk3 said:

This time I didn’t get the error message but can’t seem to see the file?

The file gets downloaded by the web browser you are using, and stored in a folder called „downloads“. Unlike other file types, it will normally not start directly the associated App - because most browsers have stricter security setting defaults and do not allow to start „random“ apps (unless you change that)

Most browsers allow to open the download folder (ctrl-J). You can then simply double-click on the downloaded file.

Alternatively, you can start Affinity Designer, and use the menu to „File->Open“, use the navigation functionality to choose the download folder, and choose the file to be opened.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

@clk3, here is a very rough and ready version created using Affinity Designer for desktop but the approach will be very similar on the iPad version. This is more to demonstrate an approach you could take towards creating your logo. It's in need of refinement and finessing but hopefully gives you a good starting point...

Based on your original post and sketch I've assumed you're looking to create a circular logo...

Steps to Create (on the Desktop Version of Affinity Designer)

1. Draw a circle using the ellipse tool for the outer text.
  2. Duplicate the circle for the outer line.
  3. Select the Artistic Text tool and with the outer text circle selected hover over the circle until the cursor shows the letter T with a wavy line beneath it.
  4. Click once and enter the handmade text and make sure it is centered.
  5. Drag the green start handle to the three o’clock position and the red end handle to the nine o’clock position to move the text to the top of the circle.
  6. Click the Reverse Text Path button on the context tool bar to reverse the orientation of the text.
  7. You can then experiment with the text size, tracking and baseline shift using the controls in the Character panel to get the text to your liking.
  8. One you are happy with the text click once at the end of the word handmade and hit return.
  9. Enter the Kirkby text and drag the dark green start and dark red end handles to nine o’clock and three o’clock respectively.
  10. Again, adjust the font and tracking until you are happy with the look.
  11. With the text layer selected make a duplicate copy of it and then adjust the size of the ellipse using the Move tool to create the inner text circle.
  12. Replace the text on the inner text circle with by and Lynne and again adjust the font size, weight and tracking to suit.
  13. Select the outer line ellipse layer in the layers panel, duplicate it and make the duplicate ellipse diameter smaller using the Move tool to form the inner line.
  14. Drag a couple of horizontal guides to the positions where you want to cut the lines.
  15. Select the knife too and make cuts at the points on the two circles where the circles intersect with the guides.
  16. Using the Node tool you can delete the sections of the two circles you no longer need at the top and bottom of the logo by holding the Ctrl key on desktop, though I'm unsure how this works on iPad.
  17. Change the stroke width for the two lines in the Stroke Panel.
  18. With the Artistic Text tool selected create the central letter C and position at the centre of your design.

That’s pretty much it, I realise some of the techniques will differ slightly on the iPad but hopefully this helps you to experiment and create a version that you are happy with.

Handmade by Logo.afdesign

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

5 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

The file gets downloaded by the web browser you are using, and stored in a folder called „downloads“. Unlike other file types, it will normally not start directly the associated App - because most browsers have stricter security setting defaults and do not allow to start „random“ apps (unless you change that)

Most browsers allow to open the download folder (ctrl-J). You can then simply double-click on the downloaded file.

Alternatively, you can start Affinity Designer, and use the menu to „File->Open“, use the navigation functionality to choose the download folder, and choose the file to be opened.

Thank you not my fault. Yes I found the downloads in my folder but still could not get them to open. The top right hand corner is folded over?

042CA7C8-152D-43F7-BB29-F16BF04CC186.png

D58D524C-AFC5-4897-9F01-2DBA4B77AB67.png

2 hours ago, Hangman said:

@clk3, here is a very rough and ready version created using Affinity Designer for desktop but the approach will be very similar on the iPad version. This is more to demonstrate an approach you could take towards creating your logo. It's in need of refinement and finessing but hopefully gives you a good starting point...

Based on your original post and sketch I've assumed you're looking to create a circular logo...

Steps to Create (on the Desktop Version of Affinity Designer)

1. Draw a circle using the ellipse tool for the outer text.
  2. Duplicate the circle for the outer line.
  3. Select the Artistic Text tool and with the outer text circle selected hover over the circle until the cursor shows the letter T with a wavy line beneath it.
  4. Click once and enter the handmade text and make sure it is centered.
  5. Drag the green start handle to the three o’clock position and the red end handle to the nine o’clock position to move the text to the top of the circle.
  6. Click the Reverse Text Path button on the context tool bar to reverse the orientation of the text.
  7. You can then experiment with the text size, tracking and baseline shift using the controls in the Character panel to get the text to your liking.
  8. One you are happy with the text click once at the end of the word handmade and hit return.
  9. Enter the Kirkby text and drag the dark green start and dark red end handles to nine o’clock and three o’clock respectively.
  10. Again, adjust the font and tracking until you are happy with the look.
  11. With the text layer selected make a duplicate copy of it and then adjust the size of the ellipse using the Move tool to create the inner text circle.
  12. Replace the text on the inner text circle with by and Lynne and again adjust the font size, weight and tracking to suit.
  13. Select the outer line ellipse layer in the layers panel, duplicate it and make the duplicate ellipse diameter smaller using the Move tool to form the inner line.
  14. Drag a couple of horizontal guides to the positions where you want to cut the lines.
  15. Select the knife too and make cuts at the points on the two circles where the circles intersect with the guides.
  16. Using the Node tool you can delete the sections of the two circles you no longer need at the top and bottom of the logo by holding the Ctrl key on desktop, though I'm unsure how this works on iPad.
  17. Change the stroke width for the two lines in the Stroke Panel.
  18. With the Artistic Text tool selected create the central letter C and position at the centre of your design.

That’s pretty much it, I realise some of the techniques will differ slightly on the iPad but hopefully this helps you to experiment and create a version that you are happy with.

Handmade by Logo.afdesign

Thank you very much Hangman for taking the time to send a step by step approach I will give it a go 😊

The screenshot looks like taken on an iPhone? Or do you use a iPad?

3 minutes ago, clk3 said:

Thank you very much Hangman for taking the time to send a step by step approach I will give it a go 😊

That's no problem at all, let us know how you get on or if something doesn't make sense...

On 3/1/2023 at 7:21 PM, clk3 said:

Hi I don’t seem to be able to download the file but thank you 🤔

No idea why you are using your iPhone to download the file, use your iPad, use Safari browser never chrome or whatever you were using and open the file like this.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

On 3/2/2023 at 11:41 AM, NotMyFault said:

The screenshot looks like taken on an iPhone? Or do you use a iPad?

Hi yes the screenshot was taken with an iPhone for quickness but as affinity is not available for iPhone I am using the programme on an iPad and have the same problem on iPad.

thank you

On 3/3/2023 at 12:53 PM, clk3 said:

Hi yes the screenshot was taken with an iPhone for quickness but as affinity is not available for iPhone I am using the programme on an iPad and have the same problem on iPad.

Hi @clk3, FWIW double clicking the file handmade C.afdesign should automatically open it in Affinity Designer on your iPad... What actually happens if you double click the file in your downloads folder, the .afdesign file, not the .zip file?