You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

‘Infinite’ Linked Resource Changed messages with placed linked image taken from Continuous Export Slice of Artboard

Designer 2.0.4 on Windows 10.

Note: The “Automatically update linked resources when modified externally” setting in Preferences/General needs to be ON to see this happening.

If I:

1. Create an Artboard;
  2. Go to the Export Persona;
  3. Select the Artboard;
  4. Export it via the button at the bottom right of the Slices Panel;
  5. Check “Continuous”;
  6. Go back to the Designer Persona;
  7. Create a new Artboard;
  8. Place the exported file into the new artboard and change it to a Linked resource…

The linked resource is updated continually even when the contents of the Artboard aren’t changing.
See attached video (the ‘wobbly mouse pointer’ is just to show that the video hasn’t ended).

The Help says: “Continuous—when selected, slices are re-exported automatically if the content within the slices are modified.” but I’m not updating the contents of the slice.

Is this expected?

Note: I only found this by accident, this process is not something I would normally do.

Edited by GarryP
Added note.

I would half expect this to happen. Linking a slice from the document I am working on in the document I am working on.. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

If I was changing the layers within the artboard, or the artboard itself, then I would expect the artboard to be exported and the linked resource to be updated and I wouldn’t have mentioned it but, as can be seen in the video, I’m not touching the artboard or anything in it.

There’s a possibility the something else is ‘modifying’ the file on disk, which would then cause the placed image to be updated, but I have plenty of other documents with linked images and this ‘continuous update’ doesn’t happen with those.

If other people can check this, on the various OSes, then that will help to get some more ‘data points’ for diagnosis.

My current feeling is that this is a bug unless someone can convince me otherwise.

I checked this, Win 10, and can not replicate it. In fact even if I make changes to Artboard 1, I do not get the message about it being changed/updated.

EDITED:

Ok, after not getting the message before, for some reason I now get that continuous message. I noted, after creating the new artboard, and placing the artboard 1 file in it, I had to return to the Export Persona for the message to kick in. Once it did, it would not stop. I also looked at the History tab, and it continued to update with Replace Image. This as you stated Garry, without making any changes. Like a stuck record on a phonograph..

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

Thanks for checking this Ron P.

At least it’s not just my machine.

I’ve added a note to the original post mentioning that the “Automatically update linked resources when modified externally” setting needs to be ON in Preferences/General to get this to happen.

• 2 weeks later...