You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPadOS: external display support via Stage Manager

I think the Affinity Suite on iPad is THE predestined candidate for utilizing the external display feature via Stage Manager. In fact that is why I bought an iPad Pro, falsely assuming this just works.

No idea how tricky it is to implement the feature but I think it should have high priority going forward. I for one would love to work in Designer/Photo/Publisher on iPad seeing my designs in all 5k glory.

On 2/17/2023 at 10:37 PM, Matthias said:

I think the Affinity Suite on iPad is THE predestined candidate for utilizing the external display feature via Stage Manager. In fact that is why I bought an iPad Pro, falsely assuming this just works.

No idea how tricky it is to implement the feature but I think it should have high priority going forward. I for one would love to work in Designer/Photo/Publisher on iPad seeing my designs in all 5k glory.

I agree. This whole February I challenged myself to switch to 100% iPad Pro + External Display with Stage Manager. Many apps work without issues on the external display, but the entire Affinity Suite, after selecting what type of project on which one intends to work, all the menus and tools are gone. Move the window to the iPad screen, it’s all there. Move the window back to the external Display, and the menu and tools, buttons, and widgets are all gone.

20 days in, I’d really like to remain on this new iPad Pro workflow if at all possible. It’s a bit much to expect the Affinity team to fix this in the next 8 days, so returning to macOS is inevitable, but it’d be nice to know that it the near future this will be fixed.

Eddie

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/26/2023 at 3:31 AM, Red Sands said:

Are you sure you need the new stage manager for this?

With Stage Manager enabled an external monitor can be used as a true second display with its own content on display. Without Stage Manager external displays merely mirror the iPad screen, aspect ratio and all. It’s a whole new paradigm.

• 1 month later...

I am also very interested in this. Stage Manager is a requirement to make real use of the external display, and being unable to use the Affinity suite in this set up keeps me from using the whole suite more fully. 

Affinity in Stage Manager is the last piece in a fully iPad workflow. WIll pay again for the privilege. 

On 2/19/2023 at 9:30 PM, 3ddie said:

I agree. This whole February I challenged myself to switch to 100% iPad Pro + External Display with Stage Manager. Many apps work without issues on the external display, but the entire Affinity Suite, after selecting what type of project on which one intends to work, all the menus and tools are gone. Move the window to the iPad screen, it’s all there. Move the window back to the external Display, and the menu and tools, buttons, and widgets are all gone.

20 days in, I’d really like to remain on this new iPad Pro workflow if at all possible. It’s a bit much to expect the Affinity team to fix this in the next 8 days, so returning to macOS is inevitable, but it’d be nice to know that it the near future this will be fixed.

Eddie

I use the iPad Pro as my primary computer as well.  Go to the Settings menu within the Affinity apps, then under General there’s an option that says “present on external monitors”.  That setting will only show the image you’re working on on the external monitor.  If you toggle that setting off, you should be able to use the full UI on the external monitor.  I’ve used my iPad with an external monitor before, and it worked with the full UI before, but I originally had the same problem you’re describing until I toggled that setting off.

IMG_1217.jpeg

9 hours ago, Kaleb Cadle said:

I use the iPad Pro as my primary computer as well.  Go to the Settings menu within the Affinity apps, then under General there’s an option that says “present on external monitors”.  That setting will only show the image you’re working on on the external monitor.  If you toggle that setting off, you should be able to use the full UI on the external monitor.  I’ve used my iPad with an external monitor before, and it worked with the full UI before, but I originally had the same problem you’re describing until I toggled that setting off.

Thank you for this! Affinity can be used on the external display!

5 hours ago, Navian said:

Thank you for this! Affinity can be used on the external display!

Sorry but no, even with this option off it is not possible to have Affinity in full screen on the external screen. (There is even a bug with the toolbar that sometimes doesn't appear when you switch from one screen to another)

• 5 months later...

I just tried, once again, to extend my Affinity iPad apps to my external monitor under Stage Manager. I had given up a while ago. Tool bars, etc., kept disappearing. Anyway now they all seem to be WORKING right. When did that happen?? With the new versions 2.2 or maybe the latest iPadOS 17.02? Anyway keeping my fingers crossed. Now if you all can just get Publisher from shrinking all my letter-size prints.

Yeah, “full-screen” or smaller, until yesterday I simply could not get any Affinity app to work at all when using Stage Manager to extend my screen/display to my Dell Ultra Sharp. They would run ok when I had my Dell set to mirror my iPad display. I just did try to set Designer to full screen on my Dell, and that did not work, but right how I have Designer taking up most of my external display and overlapping another app. And I have another app running on my iPad display, and they all are working fine. Since they were not working at all, I have updated all my Affinity apps and my iPad OS to the latest versions. I suppose it could have been Divine intervention instead, but I would guess He/She has bigger fish to fry.

Edited by Garth O
Misspelling