You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Rename... added to layers menu & tab behaviour

On the iPad, it only works with the Apple Pencil. I think it should work with the trackpad too, because renaming the artboards with the Magic Keyboard next would come naturally, especially if dealing with documents with tens of artbords. 

Regards.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• Staff
20 minutes ago, iuli said:

I think it should work with the trackpad too

Are you talking about double click on artboard label to rename it? That is working for us with iPad trackpad / mouse - or did you mean something else?

Managing Director

Help make our apps better by joining our beta program!

MacBook Pro (16-inch, 2021) / Apple M1 Max / 64GB / macOS 12.0.1

iPad Pro 11-inch 3rd Gen / iPadOS 16.2

1 hour ago, Ash said:

Are you talking about double click on artboard label to rename it?

Yes, this is what I meant; double click with trackpad on arboard’s label does not work here with M1 iPad Pro 11 + Magic Keyboard; only the Apple Pencil works:

Edited by iuli

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/15/2023 at 5:22 PM, Intuos5 said:

This doesn't seem to work for me then, I removed the F2 assignment from the Rename Layer function and left it for the outline view mode. In this case, if I select a layer and hit F2, it does nothing.

Windows 10.0.19045.2486 (22H2) Affinity Designer 2.1.0.1706.

Reporting that I still cannot rename a selected layer with F2 even though I did select a layer in the layers panel and I do already have a shortcut assigned to F2.

I tested it on Designer 2.1.0.1742, Windows 10. Would really like to be able to hit F2 for this, because I dislike double clicking with a pen tablet to rename.

25 minutes ago, Red Sands said:

I also agree that double tap with pencil on a tablet is a very cumbersome method for renaming multiple objects, so if you could use F2 on a connected keyboard, that would clearly be preferable. It would be great if you could at least configure this shortcut yourself.

Well, you can if you set the new rename function to F2. But what I want is to keep the F2 functionality for on canvas work and have F2 for renaming when I am in the layers studio. That's the nuance to my request.

10 hours ago, Intuos5 said:

Well, you can if you set the new rename function to F2. But what I want is to keep the F2 functionality for on canvas work and have F2 for renaming when I am in the layers studio. That's the nuance to my request.

A problem with that is that we would then need the Layers panel to do any renaming, if I understand you correctly. If I toggled off the UI to paint without any distractions this new feature would become inaccessible until activated again.

1 hour ago, Frozen Death Knight said:

A problem with that is that we would then need the Layers panel to do any renaming, if I understand you correctly. If I toggled off the UI to paint without any distractions this new feature would become inaccessible until activated again.

So my proposal is to not take away the shortcut to always rename a layer with F2 (if that's what you assigned the shortcut to in this case), but to merely add this functionality with F2 for Windows users within the layers studio.

Demonstrated with Krita, no double clicks and renaming with F2, for this purpose imagine I create a new layer with F2 as well when I am in the canvas:

10 hours ago, N.P.M. said:

Yes the F2 for renaming is a good one but the new popup menu makes it bad as one can only rename one object at the time.
I think the popup should be gone.
If one selects a layer in the layers panel and one uses F2, the (text)focus should be on the current layer name field in the layers panel.
This way one can use the tab key, like it is now, to edit the next layer in the stack.

That's what batch renaming is for, which is something I think should be supported at some point. For renaming single layers however this feature is fine as it is. Your suggestion would just remove the ability to rename anything unless having the Layers panel available, which would be a downgrade in my book. As someone who uses Blender the current iteration of this feature works exactly the same.

image.png.42ba44b7a0ccbbaa6c94e8b425a3ed35.png

Batch renaming could support multi-select, not to mention other features that would help with projects that need more specific naming conventions.
image.png.9a6bef00776707a6d899a6e23530a240.png
image.png.d2269c05b524078e5e4be38e91069662.png

I really love this new feature, such a time saver for my work which can involve renaming hundreds of layers.

I've noticed a bug where using SHIFT+TAB to quickly jump between layers does not work when the layer you are moving to is outside the visible layers in the layer stack. By 'visible' I don't mean the visibility of the layer has been deactivated, I just mean that you need to scroll up in order to see it. See below screen record where I rename some layers when they are all visible, then I do the same when I scroll to hide some.

I can repeat this consistently on multiple documents. I seems that you can SHIFT+TAB onto one layer immediately out of sight, but any further and it will select the layer but not automatically allow you to rename it.

EDIT - to add version of AD I'm using:

Beta version - 2.1.0.1742

2021 14" M1 Pro Macbook Pro, 16GB RAM

Affinity Designer 2.4.0 | Affinity Photo 2.4.0 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.0 | Current Beta versions.