You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

PDF for print disappears with include printers marks

Hi 

What is the reason when I chose pdf for print and check include printers marks but I can't check include bleed? - under preset pdf for print disappears and it's not possible to chose include bleed but only preview export when complete?

What is the best way to export at document for printing book, covers etc? I guess pdf for print is the best way, right? 

Under 

Hope someone can tell me the best way to export and save for print. I am using v2. V1 one this wasn't a problem as I remember it. 

pic v2 2023-01-29 kl. 12.47.52.png

Have you set a bleed in Document setup?

The reason I ask is I can have bleed checked with printer marks as long as a bleed has been set.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

I can't be sure, but if you're asking why the name of the Preset disappeared, it's because a Preset embodies a specific set of options. And if you change those options you are no longer using that Preset, so the name is removed.

But that would not affect the processing that follows. Just ignore the lack of a Preset name. (Edit: Or save your own Preset with the options you want.)

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I can't be sure, but if you're asking why the name of the Preset disappeared, it's because a Preset embodies a specific set of options. And if you change those options you are no longer using that Preset, so the name is removed.

But that would not affect the processing that follows. Just ignore the lack of a Preset name. (Edit: Or save your own Preset with the options you want.)

I suppose pdf for print preset was to make sure you get the best printing results

When I ignore it I still can't include bleed. The printing compagny wants bleed and printer marks to make sure it is done right. 

Otherwise it would be helpful if there was a way to export documents to be sure it works for the companies.

The preset option works for pdf export but when I check printers markers or try to check bleed it disappears. 

This worked in V1.

4 minutes ago, MEMO said:

The preset option works for pdf export but when I check printers markers or try to check bleed it disappears. 

What "it" disappears?

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Can you share share an Affinity document (.afdesign, .afpub, or .afphoto) that demonstrates the problem?

Also, what OS are you using, and which of the Affinity applications?

-- Walt
PC:

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Can you share share an Affinity document (.afdesign, .afpub, or .afphoto) that demonstrates the problem?

Also, what OS are you using, and which of the Affinity 2 publisher applications?

MacOs 13.1 Affinity2 publisher V2 2.0.4 Eula. Attachment 1 where you see pdf for print and 2 where you don't see it when I chose printersmarks, bleed.

1  2023-01-29 kl. 17.53.35.png

2 2023-01-29 kl. 17.54.05.png

Thanks. But can you share an actual document, not a screenshot of the export?

Something odd is happening, and often having a document will help explain it.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Thanks. But can you share an actual document, not a screenshot of the export?

Something odd is happening, and often having a document will help explain it.

I can'r upload my whole document here. Not sure what you mean.

Just now, MEMO said:

I can'r upload my whole document here. Not sure what you mean.

If you can't share the complete document, can you share part of it? Just the first few pages, perhaps?

Or, can you create a new sample document that you can share, and recreate your problem? If so, sharing that one with us may help.

-- Walt
PC:

7 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

If you can't share the complete document, can you share part of it? Just the first few pages, perhaps?

Or, can you create a new sample document that you can share, and recreate your problem? If so, sharing that one with us may help.

Here is an empty doc - It's the same problem even with empty txt. If it helps I don't know. Hopefully it will soon be fixed :-) 

doc.pdf

25 minutes ago, MEMO said:

Here is an empty doc - It's the same problem even with empty txt.

No, we need a native doc (.afpub). We need to see what you're working with to figure out why you can't specify "include bleed" in the export.

-- Walt
PC:

Only time I see bleed greyed out is when there is no bleed set.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

Same as N.P.M on mac bleed and printer marks in tandem A'OK.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hey @MEMO apologies on the late reply,

This isn't something I've been able to replicate either using your document, the inclusion of printer marks has no effect on the include bleed tick box.

Out of interest, what happens if you create a new doc with a bleed area > Go to the PDF export menu and tick 'Include Bleed' whilst printer marks is unticked > then Tick 'Include Printer Marks'? Does the document then export with both printer marks and bleed?

If it doesn't, in this unusual circumstance it may be helpful if you could provide a screen recording which demonstrates you creating a new document with bleed and then trying to export it to PDF with bleed and printer marks included.

Screen recording guide: https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT208721