You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

InDesign compatiblity

Hi all,

I recently wrote a book using InDesign. However, I do not want to continue paying Adobe for someting I will rarely use. I understand if i save my InDesign files as an idml file, that can be opened in Affinity Publisher.

Is anyone able to tell my waht compatibilty / layout issues I may face if I use Affinity Publisher to work with idml files?

Regards,

Steve 

24 minutes ago, Steve_From_Oz said:

Is anyone able to tell my waht compatibilty / layout issues I may face if I use Affinity Publisher to work with idml files?

It depends on what features you were using in ID. Standard stuff translates pretty well.
Spreads with >2 pages will be merged.
Effects like feathered edges won't work well or will be ignored.
But even some stuff that's "officially" unavaliable in Publisher can actually work, like linked text on path:

apu_idml_linked_paths.thumb.png.3b998d2ee085b72408d18b143054fd32.png

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Thanks,

It is pretty standard. 2 page spreads only. interestingly, when I first finished this project I exported the InDesign file to PDF then converted to docx using the pdf to docx online function within Adobe reader and it did not work well. Today I did the same and so far the only issue seems to be text justification is mucked up, easily fixed. Why I don't know. I still need to do a thorough check though.

Pity I can't get a trial of Affinity.

Regards,

Steve

6 hours ago, Steve_From_Oz said:

Looks like because I have had a trial of V1 I can't get a trial of V2.

No, that shouldn't be the problem, as they are separate products.

What error are you getting? Can you show us a screenshot (with appropriate details like email obscured if they are showing)?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

On 1/27/2023 at 3:32 AM, Steve_From_Oz said:

layout issues I may face if I use Affinity Publisher to work with idml files?

(Aside the differences mentioned before): The layer hierarchy in APub works different and affects Master Page objects + ID's Global Layers.

Global Layers are converted to not-global layers on every spread in APub. Thus also global layers of Master Pages get converted to several, individual layers of type: "(Layer)" on each document page in APub. In APub master page layers get placed as separate layers of type "Master" by default at the bottom of the layer hierarchy while global layers may get duplicated, one representing the master, another the document pages.

This may alter your ID layout visually and also requires a different workflow when continuing in APub. – Compare below the different appearance of the blue rectangle: The position of its layer "global 1" at the bottom of ID layers on master & across the entire document gets split/copied in APub into a bottom layer within the master + a separate layer outside and above the master.

646840249_mastergloballayersID.thumb.jpg.d27d74bf903faa5f0ac3d998ee271de5.jpg

699070867_mastergloballayersIDAPubb.thumb.jpg.8596f30c35953303e7009c96290d4fbe.jpg

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1