You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher2: A frustration I have with using Publisher2

First off, I'm really quite pleased with the results I'm getting so far. So I hope it's okay for me to post this.

But, my frustration is with finding the specific tool I need to do what I need to do. I'm really having a lot of trouble navigating through all the options to find what I need. Perhaps it's because up until about a month ago, I was using PagePlus (needed footnotes and it wasn't available until Publisher2) and I keep trying to find certain things arranged like they were in the legacy software. Is there maps for the various functions--Paragraph in particular--that I can use as a guide to find the subfunctions without having to troll through random selections until I find what I'm looking for. I think a map would also show me the hierarchies, which is what I really need to wrap my head around this rather fantastic tool.

It's understandable to be a bit lost when you first use Publisher - it's a complex app and even if you are an expert with other page layout apps there are a few things that are done differently.

I suggest reading the help pages for these four key panels which will help you figure out where some of the options you're looking for are located. If you can master these panels you'll be well on your way.

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

Thank you Mike. I agree about going to help, which I have been doing and it has been very helpful. But, my first problem was (please don't laugh) not about reading what to do, but how to find the specific panel in the first place. That's why I thought a map would help. For example, after searching for the word paragraph on my Publisher window, it finally dawned on me to click the paragraph symbol--D'oh.

@Joansz. Iit may help when learning the app to set the tooltip delay slider in Preferences > User Interface almost all the way to the right so tooltips pop up quickly.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Here's another example of what I'm having trouble with:

I want to unlink the last page of linked text because I was able compress the document slightly so that the last couple of lines that flowed to this page are now with the previous page. So I looked up unlink in help and this is what I found:

Linked frame To unlink a text frame from the frame sequence: 1.From the Tools panel, select the Move Tool.
2.Select the text frame to be unlinked, then click the 'previous' and/or 'next' Text Flow buttons (top left or bottom right, respectively).
3.Click within the frame when the unlink cursor (Unlink test frame) appears.

Easy peasy, right? Except I can't find the tool panel. Here's what my topbar looks like:

TopBar.png

32 minutes ago, Joansz said:

Easy peasy, right? Except I can't find the tool panel. Here's what my topbar looks like:

The Tools panel is the vertical panel on the right left, the one in your screenshot that has the Move Tool selected, the one that looks like a black arrow. If you have the tooltip delay set as I suggested & you briefly hover the mouse pointer over it, "Move Tool" will popup. BTW, the top bar is the called the Toolbar. There is also a Context toolbar

If you open the Help window & select Interface Visual Reference from the User Interface section, you can roll the mouse pointer over the different items to get a popup naming each one.

Edited by R C-R
fixed brain fart

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Just now, walt.farrell said:

Um, perhaps you meant "left"?

Yes, on the left. Correcting my earlier post now.

Thanks!

Affinity Photo 

6 hours ago, Joansz said:

when I'm working on a publication, I can't stop for an hour or so to watch a video for the five minutes of information I need at the time.

Mastering new tools always requires investing time to learn how they work. File that under "higher education". ;) 
Heck, back in the day I was buying and actually spending a lot of time reading books on how to work with QuarkXpress 3, Freehand, Photoshop, and eventually I was able to quote whole chapters by heart…

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2