You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I've been having plenty of corrupted file issues lately can you recover this one.

@dustin255

Recovered
Do Backups
Not all files are recoverable

1208627525_COVID-19Talisman2-recovered.afphoto

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

Thank you. How do you recommend I do backups? When the software doesn't do it automatically? Is there any secrets to recovering files you can share?

I also check my hard drive too there were bad sectors and my computer repaired it so hopefully this stops happening.

Edited by dustin255

11 minutes ago, dustin255 said:

How do you recommend I do backups?

At the very least, invest in proper backup software (some are free) that does it automatically once a day to another drive or to the internet, also do incremental saves to new file names as you work on a project

Is there any secrets to recovering files you can share?

If you have Affinity Publisher, you could have used that to recover this file but that does not work for all files.

I also check my hard drive too there were bad sectors and my computer repaired it so hopefully this stops happening.

Nope, it will happen again so do backups

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

I have the first version of Affinity Publisher but, I won't work for the new files from Affinity Photo I image. I get a back software going as you suggest. I'll probably get the 2 version because it would be worth the money since I was hesitant before plus they are having a sale.

Edited by dustin255

@dustin255

If the HDD has sector errors, it is a good idea to think about a replacement device. Bad sectors are the harbingers of a creeping death of the HDD/SSD.

A viable backup solution is for example Macrium Reflect Free

Backup and recovery software for home PCs [Source]

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

49 minutes ago, Komatös said:

A viable backup solution is for example Macrium Reflect Free

Macrium Reflect Free version will be retired as of 1st January 2024 and there will be no more security updates after that date so you may want to consider something else

I'm not sure why they don't clearly tell you that when you visit their website

@carl123

I didn't know that, thanks for pointing it out. I myself use another software that is not free of charge 

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

7 hours ago, dustin255 said:

How do you recommend I do backups? When the software doesn't do it automatically?

Here's one approach:

1. File > Save As under a new name. For example, if you're working on x.afphoto, save it as x1.afphoto. At this point your active document is saved, and named x1.afphoto.
  2. Repeat step 1, using another new name, say x2.afphoto. At this point, your active document is saved, and named x2.afphoto.
  3. However, you do not know if either step 1 or 2 saved it properly. So, Open x1.afphoto (which should be in your Recent list).
  4. If it Opened successfully, you can close the document tab for x2.afphoto.
  5. Continue working. At some point, repeat steps 1-4. This time you might Save As x2.afphoto for step 1, and x3.afphoto for step 2. Reopen x2 for step 3, and if successful close the tab for x3.

But if you're having bad sectors you have a hardware problem to address, as @Komatös mentioned. 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I use Allwaysync (https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/profile/184740-dustin255/) There is a free version for pesronal use or a Pro version for a lifetime payment of $25.95 which is what I use. I have it setup to automatically backup image files to 2 separate HDDs whenever an image is added, changed or deleted from the watched directories when the PC is idle.