You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

This file was destroyed, emptied by Affinity Designer v2.0.3! (see earlier post). Thank you for that. Stunning and jawdropping.

Version 2 claims the file type is "not supported" - then your customers think that there is actually some content in the file that Affinity cannot read. So better to tell them that the file contains significantly less content than expected...

image.png.429ab7cebb8d96c045b40c7edf913697.png

You might add "It's not unlikely that Serif Software lost all your content and work, perhaps distracted by 'setting new standards', yet we remembered the filename! You could say we saved a percentage of your work. Zero is also a percent."

Lost file thread:

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

Confusing, you linked to a thread based upon end of life Windows 8.1 and problems with anti virus ransomware protection in Affinity Photo V1 to a problem with macOS and iCloud in Affinity Designer V2. I think it is a bad idea to associate anything to do with macOS to Windows 8.1 and much preferable to provide sample files, screen recordings and a clear description of your workflow to assist the forums in trying to find a solution to your problem.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help

Relinked to clean new thread:

Workflow: made document with simple shapes and curves, one embedded jpg from same folder and try out brushes from default, saved to iCloud not too many times, Bang! Cannot write to file in standard macOS setup anywhere.

Nothing spectacular but a very known issue.

1) You have completely wrecked the layers panel, Serif.

2) I recommend Reddit groups instead of this forum. Not the same few bot-like users replying to everything, a wider representation of users, fewer fanboys, more qualified users. In short, better!

3) I was here to report bugs and submit improvement requests for professional work professionally in a large setup and to bring a lot of knowledge from the world, i.e. professional product development, web- and software development, usability, user experience design and accessibility. I actually know what I am talking about!

BUT! We are phasing out Designer and Affinity in 2022 Q1 - and replacing it with feature complete and algorithmically competent alternatives.
Publisher is unsuitable for serious use, and was never adopted.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Staff
On 1/1/2023 at 7:28 AM, François R said:

Version 2 claims the file type is "not supported" - then your customers think that there is actually some content in the file that Affinity cannot read. So better to tell them that the file contains significantly less content than expected...

I can confirm that the warning message shown will vary, depending on the state of the corrupted file.

If some information is present, but not all, you may see a 'File appears to be truncated (shorter than expected)' warning, however I can see you've confirmed in your thread linked that the file being saved/opened is 0kb in size.

With no information saved to the file, the Affinity app can't determine the type of file being opened, and therefore this error message is shown.

However of course we're certainly sorry to hear this occurred with your file, and we offer our sincerest apologies for any work lost due to this.

Our team are aware of issues caused by saving/opening files from Cloud locations and we have been investigating this further internally, however I believe this issue stems from the way that Affinity loads and retains files, prioritizing speed - meaning a fix may require changing the file i/o for all apps, on all platforms - which as you can imagine is unfortunately no small task.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Has there been any movement on this? I have many files saved in OneDrive with the V1 version that I can no longer open (I've tried some of the legacy versions). I'm worried that relying on this software (all 3) to do projects in the future is a bad idea.

18 minutes ago, DSal said:

I'm worried that relying on this software (all 3) to do projects in the future is a bad idea.

Hello @DSal,

Did you try to copy a file to your computer first and then open it from your hard drive?

You can also attach one of those files here (if you can) so we can try to open it from our end.

2017 27” iMac 4.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 • Radeon Pr 580 8GB • 64GB • Ventura 13.6.4.

iPad Pro (10.5-inch) • 256GB • Version 16.4

Hello @Seneca

Thanks for your reply

I’ve tried opening the files from my Mac desktop, changing the file ext, changing the permissions, opening .afpub files in Designer, downloading the files to a Windows desktop, opening a saved copy of the files from an external SSD…

Unfortunately nothing has worked. I’ve been holding out for a fix since I noticed this about 6 months ago. I can live without the files but I’m not confident about the future now.

Edited by DSal

• Staff

Hi @DSal,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble.

This issue is still logged with our development team, I will be sure to 'bump' this with your report now.

I would be happy to look into the specific files that are failing to open for you, to see if these can be recovered, however unfortunately I can't provide any further information regarding the resolution of this issue at this time.

I certainly understand how critical this issue can be, our team recommend only saving and working on files locally, then creating a copy of the document to backup in OneDrive to reduce the frequency of this happening. We offer our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused in the meantime.

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

7 hours ago, Dan C said:

Hi @DSal,

Welcome to the Affinity Forums & sorry to hear you're having trouble.

This issue is still logged with our development team, I will be sure to 'bump' this with your report now.

I would be happy to look into the specific files that are failing to open for you, to see if these can be recovered, however unfortunately I can't provide any further information regarding the resolution of this issue at this time.

I certainly understand how critical this issue can be, our team recommend only saving and working on files locally, then creating a copy of the document to backup in OneDrive to reduce the frequency of this happening. We offer our sincerest apologies for any inconveniences caused in the meantime.

Out of curiosity (for my own purposes), does it matter when Files on Demand is disabled in Onedrive? (And anyone else is welcome to answer this question...)

image.png.9c5ae2c85632bc99c5334dce1988b2ca.png

Effectively, it is a local copy on my machine and this is where I actually work. I don't see how the data would change unexpectedly on my machine unless I'm working simultaneously across machines. Maybe linking files could present an issue, but those are also locally stored as well. I think OD only really syncs up (to the cloud) after a complete save. I guess, if Affinity is streaming to the file while it is working with it, then that is very different and could cause major issues...

I installed new drives, so moving things to another location is feasible. A pain. But feasible. OD is convenient for me because I can look at my references when I move to my other table, including peaking at files I was just working on... so yeah, kind of a bummer.

• Staff
On 2/18/2023 at 12:57 AM, debraspicher said:

Out of curiosity (for my own purposes), does it matter when Files on Demand is disabled in Onedrive?

In all honesty, I'm not 100% certain - however I can find previous user reports of issues between OneDrive and Affinity which were resolved by disabling this option, so if you are able to work with this option disabled it absolutely could improve the stability of Affinity and these semi-cloud files :) 

Please note -

Many thanks!

• 8 months later...
  • Staff

The issue "Saving Failed increasing frequency of reports" (REF: AFP-4826) has been fixed by the developers in build "2.2.1 Release".

This fix is in the current customer release.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us