You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

limited usability of rotation cursor

RM f/g

When the cursor of the move tool is placed near one of the corners of a selection box, this cursor turns into the rotation cursor (bent double headed arrow). As expected.

Then when I click to rotate the selected object, most of the time the cursor changes into the scaling cursor (straight double headed arrow, 45 degrees angled).

I see some room for improvement here.

This occurs in all three apps.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2

Hi RM, I think you're a Mac user but I can't duplicate this on Ventura. It even rotates the rotation pointer to match the current rotation angle.

Which version of macOS are you having this issue with?

Download a free manual for Publisher 2.4 from this forum - expanded 300-page PDF

My system: Affinity 2.4.2 for macOS Sonoma 14.4.1, MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Pro)

• 1 month later...
  • Staff

Hi @RM f/g,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I can confirm that our team were made aware of a few cursor issues appearing in macOS Monterey and these were resolved in a previous update (2.0.3) - can you please confirm for me, is this issue still occurring for you in the latest update (2.0.4)?

Many thanks in advance :)

I can't say I've ever experienced any issues with this on Monterey but looking at the tolerance for cursor changes between scale, rotate and move, it is quite fine... the screen recording shows a one pixel grid but it's less of an issue when zoomed out...

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2437) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2437)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

• Staff
20 hours ago, Hangman said:

looking at the tolerance for cursors changes between scale, rotate and move, it is quite fine... the screen recording shows a one pixel grid but it's of an issue when zoomed out...

Thanks for raising this - I can see the tolerance is rather sensitive, so I'll be logging this as an improvement with our devs now :)

Thanks @Dan C for your response.

I believe it's somewhat better, though not perfect.

The rotation cursor works in a very narrow area, just where the arrow cursor turns into the rotation cursor. A little further towards the corner node and the rotation cursor turns into the scaling cursor when clicking.

But maybe I'm expecting too much.

I'm on Designer 2.0.4 now. I see no improvement in beta 2.1.0.1709.

Macbook Pro mid 2015, 16 GB, double barrel: MacOS Mojave + Affinity 1 (+ Adobe’s CS6)/ MacOS Monterey + Affinity 2