You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Using SHIFT to force horizontal/vertical drawing "remembers" last position and draws line from that

5 minutes ago, patrick_h_lauke said:

@Michail yes, I know, but the point is that it shouldn't need to be done this way, no?

I agree with you there. Normally it should work like this:

• If you press the shift key before the mouse button, you get connected lines.
  • If you press the shift key after the mouse key, you get separate lines.

Maybe this problem has not yet reached the developers.

20 minutes ago, patrick_h_lauke said:

is this documented anywhere? i looked over the help files, but didn't spot anything about connected lines

I don't know.
I assume that the connected lines are intentional. Such connecting lines can be useful. So there must be another technique for the unconnected lines. There is still the possibility of the timing of the shift key. This is also how it works in Photoshop.

I think it's By Design. You can double-click for your end-point or release the Shift key.

Ok, went back and checked again, I'm so accustom to releasing the Shift key, I do it without thinking about it. This does work differently for the Pixel tool. With the Pen tool you can double-click to mark the end.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

40 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

I think it's By Design. You can double-click for your end-point or release the Shift key.

Ok, went back and checked again, I'm so accustom to releasing the Shift key, I do it without thinking about it. This does work differently for the Pixel tool. With the Pen tool you can double-click to mark the end.

Can you describe a little more precisely what you mean by the double-click?
What are you doing and what do you want to achieve with it?

Double-click when you want to terminate the stroke you're making and/or want to start a new stroke.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

36 minutes ago, Ron P. said:

Double-click when you want to terminate the stroke you're making and/or want to start a new stroke.

I had not read that you had written about the pen tool. But this thread is not about vector tools, but about painting tools!

I went back and crossed out the double-click. I also realized it was about the pixel tool, but I was thinking it should behave like the pen tool, but does not.

So, to sum up:

• the "drawing a line from the last point to the new point when pressing SHIFT before clicking" is a feature, rather than a bug, but it's not mentioned in the help/documentation. This aspect should be documented, rather than being a surprise feature.
  • the one part that *is* a genuine bug seems to be the very first shift and click, which draws a line from the 0/0 origin to the current position

• 4 weeks later...