You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity V2 is very very Slow

Hih.   I submitted this before but the discussion was hijacked and the title I used mislead some so here it is again......

Just about every action ends up with the program having to wait.  Even "placing" which takes a split second in V1 takes just about forever.

Please tell me how I have set it up wrong since I assume the developers would never let this program out to the public the way it is acting with me.

Also, it hangs on a whim and will not recover.  Version 1 hangs this way as well.

I have enjoyed Affinity Photo very much!!   Not V2 at the moment!!

I hope the problem is in my setup.

Thanks for looking into this.

ErnieAd

Desktop:   DT04/  Dell XPS 8930/ Windows 10 pro/ Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2 GHz/ 16GB RAM/ NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU 6GB        Laptop:  Laptop28A/  Dell XPS 15 9560/ Windows 10 pro/ Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8 GHz/ 16GB RAM/ NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU 

You need to mention which OS & which version of it you are using.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Yes, I had noticed the same thing here, at least with large files. I had to wait about 1 minute for each smallest change. Until I could fix or work around the problem by disabling all live distortions in the layers.
Maybe this is true for you too !?
In any case, this is not a good condition...

-

Win10, 64GB, RTX2080super

On 12/17/2022 at 4:32 PM, R C-R said:

You need to mention which OS & which version of it you are using.

Thanks for responding.   The OS is Windows 10 and the Version is 2.1.3

If you need other info, let me know.

Thanks!

ErnieAd

Desktop:   DT04/  Dell XPS 8930/ Windows 10 pro/ Intel i7-8700 CPU @ 3.2 GHz/ 16GB RAM/ NVidia GeForce GTX 1060 GPU 6GB        Laptop:  Laptop28A/  Dell XPS 15 9560/ Windows 10 pro/ Intel i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.8 GHz/ 16GB RAM/ NVidia GeForce GTX 1050 GPU 

On 12/18/2022 at 4:45 AM, tomaust said:

Yes, I had noticed the same thing here, at least with large files. I had to wait about 1 minute for each smallest change. Until I could fix or work around the problem by disabling all live distortions in the layers.

-

Thanks tomaust!   I will try this.  I am using it on two W10 computers with the same low speed.

I'll let you know how it goes.

Ernie

ErnieAd

52 minutes ago, ErnieAd said:

The OS is Windows 10 and the Version is 2.1.3

Do you perhaps mean version 2.0.3?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 12/18/2022 at 4:45 AM, tomaust said:

-

Hi tomaust,

I do not have any live distortions in my layers.  Is there a property that I should check/ uncheck?

If live distortions are not in my layers, I still have a very slow & unacceptable operation in both my computers which have Affinity 2.0.  It appears to slow down when any windows explorer operation (changing folders, etc. etc.) is going on.

Any further ideas?

Thanks!

ErnieAd

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I'm afraid I have to tie in with the theme. Since using APublisher version 2 for the first time, I have noticed that the work in the programme only takes place with delays. After each action in AP2, there is a pause of 1-3 seconds during which no action takes place. The action then takes place with a long delay. It is hardly possible to work productively. What can I do?
WIN 11, Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8400 CPU @ 2.80GHz  2.81 GHz, 32 GB RAM

• 6 months later...
3 minutes ago, MrMacvos said:

Affinity Photo 2.1.1 UI is still very slow ...

Tryout and update to v2.2, maybe (?) it offers some better performance now under Ventura.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

2 hours ago, MrMacvos said:

I was already in the App Store to do same updates, and these weren't there. After your post, the new versions showed up.... 

V2.2.0 is just as slow. Working on an image is just fine, saving and closing it too. But after it's closed, and I want to use the menu bar... slow cursor and rainbow spinner for a few seconds. Using CMD-TAB to switch applications is in these moments just as unresponsive.

5 hours ago, MrMacvos said:

V2.2.0 is just as slow. Working on an image is just fine, saving and closing it too. But after it's closed, and I want to use the menu bar... slow cursor and rainbow spinner for a few seconds. Using CMD-TAB to switch applications is in these moments just as unresponsive.

That doesn't sound very promising and more like things haven't been optimized for Ventura at all.

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

19 hours ago, MrMacvos said:

macOS Ventura, MacBookPro 2019 Intel 2.4 8-core i9, 64GB RAM

16 hours ago, MrMacvos said:

slow cursor and rainbow spinner for a few seconds. Using CMD-TAB to switch applications is in these moments just as unresponsive

10 hours ago, v_kyr said:

like things haven't been optimized for Ventura at all

Ventura itself doesn't seem to be an issue. More likely it's an individual combination of factors.

@MrMacvos have you tried to troubleshoot by excluding possible causes?
The best place to start is, for example, figuring out whether it's a global issue or if the cause lies in the user account. I.e. by trying the same steps to reproduce the issue by logging in your Mac as another user.
If you don't have a 2nd user account, create a "test" one (ignore all Apple prompts to log into your Apple ID and stuff). You can always delete it later if you feel like it's getting in your way.
If the issue doesn't appear there, then the culprit lives exclusively in your user account, be it a background process, some corrupt fonts, preferences, caches or whatever. 

Another easy place to start is to perform a "safe boot" which will check the drive for issues while cleaning system caches.
support.apple.com/guide/mac-help/start-up-your-mac-in-safe-mode-mh21245/mac

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

We are with V2.2 now and it is still the same shit. Slowing down randomly, hanging and lagging... it is terrible to work with!
I deactivated Open CL, I deactivated Retina, I made the undo limit smaller... nothing helped on Windows 10 and 11.

Is it maybe, because the apps always try to call the affinity servers in the background?

On 9/20/2023 at 12:24 PM, Hofnaar said:

We are with V2.2 now and it is still the same shit. Slowing down randomly, hanging and lagging... it is terrible to work with!
I deactivated Open CL, I deactivated Retina, I made the undo limit smaller... nothing helped on Windows 10 and 11.

Is it maybe, because the apps always try to call the affinity servers in the background?

Maybe I have to apologize... for whatever reason, it works fine today for hours. FINGERS CROSSED - hopefully it was only yesterday during the updates :)

On 9/20/2023 at 5:24 AM, Hofnaar said:

I know you said it is working properly now but the apps should not be continuously trying to access Affinity's servers, so if there was any indication that was happening, it might be a good idea to try to figure out why they were.

Affinity Photo 

On 9/19/2023 at 5:15 PM, MrMacvos said:

Just installed Ventura 13.6 and that helped quite a bit. The waiting for the UI to come back after saving and closing a document is much, much faster now. Also the fans aren't blowing as much as before.