You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Errant Index cannot be found

Dennison

This is likely the same problem from V1 that has not yet been resolved:

"cannot insert multiple indexes"

FandR cannot fine ANY instance of ANY index formatting in all the available text options in F&R for the entire 288 page document.

I've searched through:

Character Style:

- index cross-reference

- index cross-references

- index entry page number

Paragraph Style:

- index

- index entry

- index entry 1

- index entry 2

- index entry 3

- index section heading

Am I missing something?   Is there another way to find an index that should not exist?

When will Go to Index be added? 

Thanks for any suggestions.  At the moment, book project completely stopped because of this.

Dennison

UPDATE:

Close file and re-open.  Index is inserted into Table of Contents - this is an on going issue.

Despite the greatest care to only place the TOC in a clean, new Text Frame and the Index in a separate, new, clean Text Frame.  The Index often suddenly appears in the TOC.  This has happened in multiple books.

7 hours ago, Dennison said:

FandR cannot fine ANY instance of ANY index formatting in all the available text options in F&R for the entire 288 page document.

Just guessing that it may not be any text, it may be a Text Frame. You'll need to delete the frame that had the index (even if you didn't add anything to it) and delete it and replace it with a new one. Most likely it will be on the last page.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Thanks for the feedback.

It may be that the default setting for a new Text Frame is an Index Text Style.  That would explain all the snafus.  Is there any way to fix a default Text Frame style so that an Index style has to be manually chosen?  This is important - given the consequences of even one emptyText Frame have any Index styling and the lack of a Go To Index.

I note the Edit - Defaults - Sync to Selection but this "default" only applies to the specific document currently open. Not ideal - and more work.

5 hours ago, Dennison said:

Is there any way to fix a default Text Frame style so that an Index style has to be manually chosen? 

No.

However, you can reset your default to something else. Draw a new Text Frame. Change the Paragraph style to something you want as the default. Then, from the menu:

1. Edit > Defaults > Synchronize from selection
  2. Edit > Defaults > Save

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1