You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Color Balance adjustment - Shadow tonal range bug

Whenever I drag the controller to left, the color tone gets into terrible error color tone. It was only happened with Shadow tonal range. I tested with several photos and got same problem. You can check the issue by watch the attached video. Is there a way to fix this or I should wait the upcoming update?

I just upgraded to V2 and I can't believe that V2 has some frustrating bugs 😢 A little bit disappointed :(

Update: Disable OpenCL compute acceleration will fix this.

Update: Disable OpenCL compute acceleration will fix this.

Why we always have to adjust much settings for stable using Affinity, not V2, even since V1.

I hope Serif would release some hot fixes soon. We just want install the app and use, not that: "need to config this, config that, change setting to this/to that, edit file .exe.config to fix this/fix that, etc..." 😢

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Sonny Sonny,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I'm not seeing the same issue here with OpenCL enabled/disabled - can you please confirm for me:

1. Does this happen in multiple files, or only the one shown in your recording?
  2. What colour format/ICC profile is in use for this document?
  3. It appears as though this image is from a stock website - is it only these stock images affected?

Are you able to provide a copy of this image/document for me to test further also?

Many thanks in advance :) 

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

Hello,

(First of all, sorry for my bad english)
I have exactly the same problem that Sonny Sonny with the tool : Color balance.
The problem is there whan OPEN CL is enable. 
When OPEN CL is disable in the Affinity's settings , i don't have problem. 

Here are 2 pictures about that: The setting in the tool color balance are exactly the sames.  
With Open CL actived :
prob.thumb.jpg.2a530b53e3705f10c1ba03604a92dfa1.jpg

Without OPEN CL actived :
548248617_probsansopenCL.thumb.jpg.15e84d705ee373da67eb4c3e3038b945.jpg

I use a RTX 3090 and my drivers are updated with Gforce XP. 
I don't have the problem with Affinity photo V1. 

I hope a update by Serif. 

On 12/9/2022 at 9:01 PM, Dan C said:

Hi @Sonny Sonny,

Thanks for your report and our sincerest apologies for the delayed response here. We are exceptionally busy following the release of V2 and we thank you for your continued patience and understanding here.

I'm not seeing the same issue here with OpenCL enabled/disabled - can you please confirm for me:

1. Does this happen in multiple files, or only the one shown in your recording?
  2. What colour format/ICC profile is in use for this document?
  3. It appears as though this image is from a stock website - is it only these stock images affected?

Are you able to provide a copy of this image/document for me to test further also?

@Dan C It happen with all kinds of photo files. But, Nvidia just released a new driver yesterday, and the problem solved. It's all about the Nvidia driver for sure. Thanks for your response.

@Nicolas.yax Update to the lastest Nvidia driver then we are happy. It's a driver issue.

• Staff
6 hours ago, Sonny Sonny said:

@Dan C It happen with all kinds of photo files. But, Nvidia just released a new driver yesterday, and the problem solved. It's all about the Nvidia driver for sure. Thanks for your response.

Many thanks for letting me know, I'm glad to hear this!

Can any users experiencing this issue please ensure your GPU drivers are fully up to date, and if you're still seeing this problem then please attach a copy of a RAW file that shows this issue :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

17 hours ago, Dan C said:

Can any users experiencing this issue please ensure your GPU drivers are fully up to date, and if you're still seeing this problem then please attach a copy of a RAW file that shows this issue :)

Sure thing. I always update to the latest driver immediately whenever new driver was released.

Hi, 

The lastest drivers can't resolve the problem for me. I have always the same things. 

The problem is in the color balance --> only for the shadows (cf. my pictures in my last post)
If a change the cursor from 0% to -1% to the yellows, magentas or blues, the whole picture becomes totaly yellow, totaly magenta or bleu.    

The problem is the same with all extentions files : PNG,JPEG, RAW, psd ...

I remind that this malfunction only occurs with OPEN CL activated.

Here is the problem : The first picture is without color balanced, and the second and the 3th are with this problem. 

252650827_2022-12-1413_34_00-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.34219eb6d57b6ab8bd433b8d1dbd2c07.png1513625488_2022-12-1413_31_39-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.ac633aaaa4e8883a1cadf03b621bdfc0.png

416555681_2022-12-1413_44_12-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.6302802c9d3afb3fc88dc627bd048c58.png

My drivers (Nvidia studio for RTX 3090) are updated and i don't have this problem with Affinity photo V1. 

(Sorry for my bad english)

13 hours ago, Nicolas.yax said:

Hi, 

The lastest drivers can't resolve the problem for me. I have always the same things. 

The problem is in the color balance --> only for the shadows (cf. my pictures in my last post)
If a change the cursor from 0% to -1% to the yellows, magentas or blues, the whole picture becomes totaly yellow, totaly magenta or bleu.    

The problem is the same with all extentions files : PNG,JPEG, RAW, psd ...

I remind that this malfunction only occurs with OPEN CL activated.

Here is the problem : The first picture is without color balanced, and the second and the 3th are with this problem. 

252650827_2022-12-1413_34_00-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.34219eb6d57b6ab8bd433b8d1dbd2c07.png1513625488_2022-12-1413_31_39-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.ac633aaaa4e8883a1cadf03b621bdfc0.png

416555681_2022-12-1413_44_12-NVIDIAGeForceOverlayDT.thumb.png.6302802c9d3afb3fc88dc627bd048c58.png

My drivers (Nvidia studio for RTX 3090) are updated and i don't have this problem with Affinity photo V1. 

(Sorry for my bad english)

After updated to Studio Driver 527.56 (Release date Dec 08 2022), my color balance adjustment works fine now (Both stable and beta version).

3 hours ago, Sonny Sonny said:

After updated to Studio Driver 527.56 (Release date Dec 08 2022), my color balance adjustment works fine now (Both stable and beta version).

Yes, i read your last post but unfortunely, this didn't work for me. Its worst now, with this drivers (527.56) i'm having the same problem with Affinity V1. 
I had to go back to the previous version (526.98) to fix the problem on Affinity V1

In summary, with the latest version of nvidia drivers I have the problem in affinity photo 1 and 2
With the previous version of Nvidia drivers I have the problem only in affinity photo 2

😔...

21 hours ago, Nicolas.yax said:

Yes, i read your last post but unfortunely, this didn't work for me. Its worst now, with this drivers (527.56) i'm having the same problem with Affinity V1. 
I had to go back to the previous version (526.98) to fix the problem on Affinity V1

In summary, with the latest version of nvidia drivers I have the problem in affinity photo 1 and 2
With the previous version of Nvidia drivers I have the problem only in affinity photo 2

😔...

Hm... So weird! I'm using RTX 3060ti, maybe you should try to switch to Game Driver, or clean remove the driver and clean re-install, update the Os to the latest release, update the dotNet, reset settings for Nvidia Control Panel, etc... And you should test on another computer with similar system specs and different system specs. Good luck mate.

10 hours ago, Sonny Sonny said:

Hum... Tellement bizarre ! J'utilise RTX 3060ti, vous devriez peut-être essayer de passer au pilote de jeu, ou supprimer le pilote et le réinstaller proprement, mettre à jour le système d'exploitation avec la dernière version, mettre à jour le dotNet, réinitialiser les paramètres du panneau de configuration Nvidia, etc. Et vous devriez tester sur un autre ordinateur avec des spécifications système similaires et des spécifications système différentes. Bonne chance mec.

Thanks you for your advices. I will try it. 🙂 

On 12/12/2022 at 11:14, Dan C said:

Hello,

I did all the updates (windows, nvidia graphics card driver, control panel reset) and I still have the problem.
This only happens with RAW and TIFF. I don't encounter any problem with .jpeg and .png
New information : This problem happens only in format : RVB/16.  (If a choice RVB/8 there isn't any problem.)
But, i need to work in 16bit.

I do not encounter any problem with other image editing software.

You can see an example of the problem encountered (in image) on my post above or with the video below

Thanks in advance for help

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

Hi @Nicolas.yax & @super_average_gunpla,

Sorry to hear you're both having trouble here - I've tested this using my GTX 1050 with both 516.94 & 527.56 using JPEG & TIFF files, in both 8/bit & 16/bit - unfortunately in none of my tests have I been able to replicate this issue, my apologies.

Firstly, I'd recommend reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers, using the 'Clean Installation' option, as outlined here - https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/57037

Secondly, can you please attach a source file that shows this issue, such that I can test with your files directly?

Thirdly, can you please confirm for me, do you have a custom screen ICC profile applied to your monitor, through the OS settings?

On 12/15/2022 at 6:21 AM, Nicolas.yax said:

Its worst now, with this drivers (527.56) i'm having the same problem with Affinity V1. 

This would certainly indicate that it's an issue caused by Nvidia, rather than Affinity directly - however I will also be sure to test this at home where I have access to a 3080tito ensure this is not an issue specific to 3000 series cards, for example.

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 1/4/2023 at 12:21 AM, Dan C said:

Hi @Nicolas.yax & @super_average_gunpla,

Sorry to hear you're both having trouble here - I've tested this using my GTX 1050 with both 516.94 & 527.56 using JPEG & TIFF files, in both 8/bit & 16/bit - unfortunately in none of my tests have I been able to replicate this issue, my apologies.

Firstly, I'd recommend reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers, using the 'Clean Installation' option, as outlined here - https://help.bethesda.net/#en/answer/57037

Secondly, can you please attach a source file that shows this issue, such that I can test with your files directly?

Thirdly, can you please confirm for me, do you have a custom screen ICC profile applied to your monitor, through the OS settings?

This would certainly indicate that it's an issue caused by Nvidia, rather than Affinity directly - however I will also be sure to test this at home where I have access to a 3080tito ensure this is not an issue specific to 3000 series cards, for example.

Dan C,

Thanks for the response. Since my post I was able to use the disable Open CL work around mentioned earlier in this thread to resolve the issue.  As requested, attached is the source file from the screen capture in my post.  However, after reading your comment, I went and took a look at my OS color profile which was set to sRGB virtual device model system profile.  After changing it to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and re-enabling Open CL the issue is resolved.  Thanks a lot for your assistance! Hopefully this also helps others that are having similar issues.

Regards!

20221231_02_AP2.afphoto

• Staff
1 hour ago, super_average_gunpla said:

I went and took a look at my OS color profile which was set to sRGB virtual device model system profile.  After changing it to sRGB IEC61966-2.1 and re-enabling Open CL the issue is resolved.

Many thanks for confirming that for me, I'm certainly glad to hear this!

With this Colour Profile set here, I'm able to replicate this issue in your file & therefore I'll get this logged with our developers now :)

For any other users experiencing this issue, changing your monitor colour profile should resolve this - if you're having trouble finding how to change this profile, please don't hesitate to let me know and I will be happy to assist further!

Please note -

Many thanks!

1 minute ago, Dan C said:

Merci beaucoup d'avoir confirmé cela pour moi, je suis certainement heureux d'entendre cela !

Avec ce profil de couleur défini ici, je suis en mesure de reproduire ce problème dans votre fichier et donc je vais le faire enregistrer avec nos développeurs maintenant:)

Pour tous les autres utilisateurs rencontrant ce problème, la modification du profil de couleur de votre moniteur devrait résoudre ce problème - si vous rencontrez des difficultés pour trouver comment modifier ce profil, n'hésitez pas à me le faire savoir et je serai heureux de vous aider davantage !

Thank you for your answer. 

Could I ask you to explain to me what is the procedure for handling icc profiles.

Personally when I change the icc profiles in the Affinity Photo software, the problem persists in 16 bits and in Raw, .TIFF or .PSD

Is it necessary to make a modification in the OS and if so, how?

Thank you so much.

• Staff
9 minutes ago, Nicolas.yax said:

Personally when I change the icc profiles in the Affinity Photo software, the problem persists in 16 bits and in Raw, .TIFF or .PSD

Is it necessary to make a modification in the OS and if so, how?

No problem at all, I can confirm we need to change settings in Windows OS, rather than the colour profile applied to the document within Affinity.

To do this, please do the following:

• Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste/type the following string and press OK:

colorcpl

In the window that opens, you should see something similar to this, (note you may need to tick the 'use my settings for this device' option to see the profile listed):
    image.png

• Please select the virtual profile listed here, and select Remove.

• Now, select the 'Add...' option, and in the list appears please select the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, and then click OK - such that this profile is now listed here:
    image.png

• Using the dropdown menu at the top, please repeat these steps for each of your connected monitors to ensure they are all using the correct sRGB profile.

• Restart Affinity & you should hopefully find this issue is resolved.

I hope this helps :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

32 minutes ago, Dan C said:

No problem at all, I can confirm we need to change settings in Windows OS, rather than the colour profile applied to the document within Affinity.

To do this, please do the following:

• Please open Windows Run (Windows Key + R) then paste/type the following string and press OK:

colorcpl

In the window that opens, you should see something similar to this, (note you may need to tick the 'use my settings for this device' option to see the profile listed):
    image.png

• Please select the virtual profile listed here, and select Remove.

• Now, select the 'Add...' option, and in the list appears please select the sRGB IEC61966-2.1 profile, and then click OK - such that this profile is now listed here:
    image.png

• Using the dropdown menu at the top, please repeat these steps for each of your connected monitors to ensure they are all using the correct sRGB profile.

• Restart Affinity & you should hopefully find this issue is resolved.

I hope this helps :)

Tkank you.
I'm going to try this. 🙂

Sorry to chime in. This doesn't collide/give a problem with having there a custom profile generated by a color calibration software, right? Like those generated (indeed, often, for those of us who calibrate the monitors every now and then) by software like iProfiler or Eizo's ColorNavigator, using them with a colorimeter (i1 display pro) to calibrate the screens. These apps will set a new profile with every calibration in various places of the system, this being  one of them. I was wondering if Affinity needs solely a sRGB color profile there to operate fine, as this would be a problem (I have sRGB there, but also two other wider range custom profiles, all as "ICC" not "WCS".).

Another question I have, maybe related... Is Photo doing the internal operations in sRGB? (Gimp and PSP do this, actually)  I say it as I am basing my workflows (not photography, so no develop persona, neither RAWs) in Adobe RGB color profile. Surely is unrelated, but I noticed that the color panel (color studio), in the foreground and background color samples' circles,  in v1.x was like using sRGB or something very similar, for files that actually were using Adobe RGB profile and had much richer color, so. Adobe RGB has much more intense greens (among other tones) that can't be reached in sRGB, which can be easily checked in a monitor capable of this range (ie, RGB color 0,255,0 on canvas will look very different to the foreground sample in color panel, being that also 0,255,0 RGB color, in V1 ). In files that are Adobe RGB, and being my default Affinity settings also Adobe RGB. But thankfully, version 2.0.3 is using apparently a wider range color profile in the color panel's foreground/background sample circles. I don't know if it's now (in V2) using Adobe RGB, or just my monitor color profile, but in v2 the color panel sample color circles make justice to the Eizo monitor's wide range, and there's no difference (or almost) between the circle sample in color panel, and the 100% color in the canvas (ie, filing a marquee with the tone). And so the color in the sample circle is identical or close to what is painted at 100% in the canvas, in V2. I have set Adobe RGB as my default color profile in both Photo versions. It makes me a little nervous to think stuff could be internally handled in sRGB. But I suppose that's not the case. Gimp and PSP do have  problems and limitations due to using sRGB for all internal operations. 

I have Open CL disabled in v1 and v2, though (due to other reasons).

Edit: I guess the problem is the "virtual" part, being there WCS, not actual ICC. Maybe it's not the sRGB thing, and just happens to be that this profile is the one only profile used in that particular system. If so, then having only the sRGB profile there would not be mandatory for Affinity to work well with color?

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11.