You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

iPad: I cannot open *.afpub files stored on Google Drive. The option is greyed out

Sapaka

Good morning,

I switched from Affinity 1 to Universal Licence Affinity V2.

When I use Affinity publisher on my iPad I cannot open a file stored on google Drive. I just cannot tap on it to open it.

But if I move the file to the Affinity publisher folder stored locally, then it works! Why? 

Not being able to work on afpub files stored online defeat the purpose of working seamlessly between Mac and iPad

How can I solve that?

Thank you very much 

Sapaka

9 hours ago, Sapaka said:

Good morning,

I switched from Affinity 1 to Universal Licence Affinity V2.

When I use Affinity publisher on my iPad I cannot open a file stored on google Drive. I just cannot tap on it to open it.

But if I move the file to the Affinity publisher folder stored locally, then it works! Why? 

Not being able to work on afpub files stored online defeat the purpose of working seamlessly between Mac and iPad

How can I solve that?

Thank you very much 

Sapaka

This is a known issue with Google Drive. They are still trying to figure it out and find a solution (if not relay to Google for them to fix even).

‘All other Cloud Services like Dropbox, OneDrive etc are working fine without any issues.

3 hours ago, Sapaka said:

Thank you @StudioJason! Had no idea.

So basically, there is nothing that I can do, right? 😕

It's really sad, to be honest. I wish I knew before, but, well... that's life.

Have a good day every one!

Sapaka

Well…transfer any Files from Google Drive to your iCloud, as one option…or simply to your iPad, then create a Free Dropbox Account, for another. Heard that One Drive was useable. I use Dropbox all the time, have Google Drive…use several if free, use whatever works!

• 1 year later...

Any news on this topic? I have all my publisher files for a choir I belong to on that choir’s Google drive. I really don’t want to have to copy them, creating duplicates in the process. This runs the risk of using wrong versions at some point. I only bought the iPad version so I could make changes on the move. It seems I’ve wasted my money. 

Edited by DavidaK

On 4/11/2024 at 9:44 AM, DavidaK said:

Any news on this topic? I have all my publisher files for a choir I belong to on that choir’s Google drive. I really don’t want to have to copy them, creating duplicates in the process. This runs the risk of using wrong versions at some point. I only bought the iPad version so I could make changes on the move. It seems I’ve wasted my money. 

Google likes to track everything you think and everything you do so it can push advertising your way. It won't like that it can't open affinity files to inspect the contents unlike the more common data file formats hence greyed out. Because of this it is the worst cloud service, change to a proper cloud service like iCloud, Dropbox or Onedrive is the only advice I can give.

My dad always told me, a bad workman always blames their tools….

Just waiting for Ronny Pickering…..

Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on macOS Sonoma 14 on M1 Mac Mini 16GB 1TB
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 1.10 and 2.4 on Windows 10 Pro. Deceased
Affinity Photo, Designer, Publisher 2.4 on M1 iPad Pro 11” on iPadOS 17.4 

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityForiPad

https://www.facebook.com/groups/AffinityPhoto/

The hardest link to find https://affinity.help