You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Linked Photo will disappear

I don't have the official 2.0 installed, but with the beta ( 2.03. 1670) I am finding no way to replicate it, sorry.
Doing the process described in the pdf, both from a new untitled file, the placing, as also a new file, saving first with a name, then placing. New document always having in settings in the "new" window "prefer linked". All in one page view, not two pages view, as I see it's one page in the PDF. 
I have tried adding an alpha channel (in case it's translating bad the alpha), with two layers empty, and going farther the page width. They all work.
The one doubt remaining... PSDs coming from Photoshop. As I have tried PSDs from (true that just very simple ones, just a image layer, in one case two more transparent layers) :

- Afinity Photo 2.03 1670 beta

- Clip Studio Paint EX

- PhotoLine

- Rebel 5 pro

- Corel Painter 22

- PaintTool SAI 2

- Krita 5.1.3. (latest)

- Paint Storm Studio

I have also tried in Publisher v1, the last updated, 1.10.6  1665 , and no problem there either, at all.

I see in the PDF that the object is there, we can see the blue borders (probably it will print fine the image with your printer), the image as an object is not vanished, but its pixels are not displaying, so, maybe a graphic glitch, makes me think of driver stuff or graphic stuff related with Windows. Probably you have a pristine system, but please, double check that your graphics card driver is well installed on Windows.

Do you set "maximize compatibility" when you save the psd in Photoshop (I know, if it comes from a third party, you don't know that).

Do you set LZW compression when saving them (not sure if this is still being done in Photoshop, or that was only with TIFFs...)

Question: Anyone yet having the problem, could make here a post just attaching one or two offending files (PSDs), that always produce this issue no matter what?

As it well might be it's some feature of Photoshop that is causing the  issue. It's a native format, and some features don't translate well, actually to any software. If we have this, maybe could test myself the file in  my 2 Publisher versions, as it seems nothing fails here, and also, would have a look at the file headers (if possible), in the hope to get some clue of what feature is giving the problem. And also, opening them on my apps, as I can see there -too- which elements are these files carrying (if x or y feature are compatible).

Surely, the ones posting here (among the thousands of Affinity users) have in common that are using similar files, that produce the  issue.
Also would be good to know the characteristics of the new files created in Publisher (cmyk or RGB, 16bits mode or 8bits if rgb, DPI, etc) , and well, all the info about  them that  you can give, makes it easier to replicate. Providing the file is surely faster, easier and more efficient.

Or that's my 2c.

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Even more, ideally, please, make a post attaching:

- 1 or 2 psds (not too big, try them to be small in MBs size, I don't desire to cause a forum server problem)

- One example *.apub  file that is  having the scroll problem. But please, do it having all in one folder, images and apub, so that we don't deal with paths issues.

In that line, I forgot to  mention that sometimes is just we move or rename folders, and as images are linked (not embedded), we forget, and it's actually not finding the file indeed, as is not embedded, but linked. I know this is obvious, but I have obvious mistakes often...

AD, AP and APub. V1.10.6 (not using v1.x anymore) and V2.4.x. Windows 10 and Windows 11. 

Well said (although I am not able to replicate it in v 1.10.6...).

Still, uploading one or two PSDs that always produce the problem would be cool to check if there's some psd's/Photoshop feature that causes this, so that the devs could be aware of it (imo).

1 hour ago, urbanphotographer said:

Just installed SerifEuropeLtd.AffinityPublisher2Beta-2.0.3.1670.msix, did a test with one linked psb, so far it seems to be working. Will be able to do in-depth testing with multiple linked psb files at the weekend. 

There is a later official version. Some of us aren't getting notifications.

You can download it from official site to update (2.0.3.1688). The instructions are in the announcement: