You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Any chance you can upload the file or a part of it?

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

If you're referring to the Superscript option in the Typography settings, that would only affect a few letters, such as n, and some digits, and exactly which are affected would depend on the font you're using.

Did you turn the Superscript option on? If so, just turn it off.

Did the file behave this way in V1, too? If not, can you provide us with both your V1 and V2 file?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

If you're referring to the Superscript option in the Typography settings, that would only affect a few letters, such as n, and some digits, and exactly which are affected would depend on the font you're using.

Did you turn the Superscript option on? If so, just turn it off.

Did the file behave this way in V1, too? If not, can you provide us with both your V1 and V2 file?

No, I have not turned on Superscript, and if I had, wouldn't that affect letters other than 'n' and some numbers? I created this index in V2, but when I tried creating one just now in V1 in an older version of the same file, there was no problem. The font is Garamond.

11 minutes ago, SheilaL said:

and if I had, wouldn't that affect letters other than 'n' and some numbers?

It might affect a few letters other than n, but a very small number. The Typography Superscript settings uses the characters in the font itself, and most fonts provide very few true superscript characters.

It would really help if you'd upload a document that shows the problem. And if you have one that behaves differently in V1 than in V2, it would help to see both.

By the way, for Garamond on my system, the only superscript characters are 1, 2, 3, and n, just as we see in your screenshot:

image.png.c24bd52941d6d252f553537dc60ada47.png

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

Or, rather than uploading a sample file, please try this:

1. Double-click in one of the index words that's showing a superscript. Say, "alienation", the first word in the index.
  2. Go to the Character panel, scroll down to the Typography section, and see if you see something like this (I've marked the Superscript option):
    image.png.fa79f6921a02b0220b4805479d46a2e9.png

-- Walt
PC:

12 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

Or, rather than uploading a sample file, please try this:

1. Double-click in one of the index words that's showing a superscript. Say, "alienation", the first word in the index.
  2. Go to the Character panel, scroll down to the Typography section, and see if you see something like this (I've marked the Superscript option):
    image.png.fa79f6921a02b0220b4805479d46a2e9.png

Okay, yes, it does show as your screen shot, and when I click it, 'alienation' goes back to normal. I don't know how that got turned on. Where can I turn it off for the entire index, including numerals? I tried updating the Text Style, but that didn't work.

@SheilaL

Check the Typography.... "thing". View > Show Typography. or click on the tiny ellipsis in the screenshot from Walt, it is under the red line he drew.

There may be some Alternate settings for that font and the language. Make sure you have your cursor in the text while you are looking in the Typography panel.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

3 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

@SheilaL

Check the Typography.... "thing". View > Show Typography. or click on the tiny ellipsis in the screenshot from Walt, it is under the red line he drew.

There may be some Alternate settings for that font and the language. Make sure you have your cursor in the text while you are looking in the Typography panel.

Okay, got that, changed it to Normal, but it only changes the one word

38 minutes ago, SheilaL said:

Okay, that works. Thank you. As a "casual user" I really appreciate the help. 

It would still be good to see how it got turned on. It seems unlikely you could have done it with a simple click somewhere.

The Index is formatted using a pre-defined Text Style, and you would have to have edited that, or used the Character panel to set the option on.

-- Walt
PC:

2 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

It would still be good to see how it got turned on. It seems unlikely you could have done it with a simple click somewhere.

The Index is formatted using a pre-defined Text Style, and you would have to have edited that, or used the Character panel to set the option on.

Seems pretty strange. I rarely use the character panel. And why would it happen just in the index?!

42 minutes ago, SheilaL said:

Seems pretty strange. I rarely use the character panel. And why would it happen just in the index?!

That's why it would be good to figure out how it happened.

-- Walt
PC:

3 hours ago, LondonSquirrel said:

One small question. What is the difference between "Miscellaneous Symbols" and "Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows"? They show different things, but it seems quite a small difference.

Those are standard Unicode blocks, not categories selected by Affinity.
Miscellaneous Symbols: 2600 to 26FF
Miscellaneous Symbols and Arrows: 2B00 to 2BFF

As Unicode grows organically a lot of stuff ends up in odd places (blocks).

17 minutes ago, LondonSquirrel said:

Thanks. I noticed afterwards there is the Arrows category too. It's a nice Venn diagram of intersecting names.

Also: Supplemental Arrows-A, Supplemental Arrows-B, etc. It's crazy.

The latest Code Charts (all characters by blocks) is always at this link:
https://www.unicode.org/Public/UCD/latest/charts/CodeCharts.pdf  (103MB)

5 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

I had not edited either. I was waiting to finish the index before formatting, and this is just 1/3. Should I upload the file (again)? 

22 minutes ago, SheilaL said:

Should I upload the file (again)? 

I don't think you've uploaded it at all; only some screenshots.

-- Walt
PC: