You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I can't sign into affinity photo v2 after installing getting error "there was a problem connecting" to the server what should I do?

I can't sign into affinity photo v2 after installing getting error"there was a problem connecting" to the server what should I do?

Lenovo IdeaPad 5 Ryzen 7 5700U Rx Vega 8 graphics 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Acer KB202 27in 1080p monitor

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

Beta builds as they come out.

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

1. http://affinity.serif.com is where I was trying to connect to

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Affinity photo 2 2.4.2 Affinity Designer 2 2.4.2 Affinity Publisher 2 2.4.2 on Windows 11 Pro version 23H2

canon 80d| sigma 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Tamron SP AF 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD | Canon EF-S 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 IS STM Autofocus APS-C Lens, Black

after typing in my email address and password it says that "we were unable to verify your license". 

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

it still has not been resolved.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

I still can't use the software.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

Not sure where to post this, but I just solved a bunch of my frustration related to not being able to sign in.

I purchased the V2 license using my iPhone and saved the password to my password manager… it auto saved to the account serif.com but I didn’t notice that until today.  I then tried to sign in on my iPad and went to fetch the password and there it was right at the top of the list Affinity.store.com (from 2017, but I didn’t notice that date until today either.).

I kept updating the password on the web and saving that new password over and over to the serif.com entry, and then failing over and over because I was trying the same password from 2017 over and over.

i didn’t figure it out until I deleted all references to affinity in my password manager, then reset the password on the website, then went to sign in again on my iPad and the familiar serif.store.com entry was missing.  Ugh.

Maybe that helps someone else.

• 1 month later...

I get a message "There was a problem communicating with the server." when attempting to activate in Win 10. I am working through a proxy. Is there someway to do an offline activation similar to uploading a request code and then logging into Affinity to get a response code?

I don't think so. I myself had issues verifying my license because the software connects to the website and the filter on my computer was man in the middling the connection to the affinity store.

16GB RAM (15.3 usable) 

Affinity Photo 1.10.6

On 12/24/2022 at 1:33 AM, tomca8 said:

Is there someway to do an offline activation similar to uploading a request code and then logging into Affinity to get a response code?

No. The proxy will need to allow the connection, or you will need to put the computer on a different network that doesn't use that proxy.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 1 month later...

I have the same problem. I am not using a proxy, I have tried different networks, I have reset passwords and double checked that they work on the affinity store website. I have also reinstalled the programs and tried installing directly from the Windows store. I cannot login to activate my licenses on any affinity v2 product.

• Staff
On 1/28/2023 at 11:45 AM, migel said:

I have the same problem. I am not using a proxy, I have tried different networks, I have reset passwords and double checked that they work on the affinity store website. I have also reinstalled the programs and tried installing directly from the Windows store. I cannot login to activate my licenses on any affinity v2 product.

Do you have any 3rd party Firewalls installed or are you just using the basic Windows Firewall?

I feel like it must be a firewall issue, but no, I am just using the basic windows firewall and have completely disabled it when trying to validate the license. On another PC connected with ethernet instead of wifi on my home network it works fine for some reason, no need to turn off firewalls.

Just got around to trying it, and it works! Thanks so much, dns slipped my mind and it makes sense since it was a brand new PC that was having issues. I'd recommend putting it in the activation tutorial page, since I have seen a lot of others with the same issue and not seen this method of fixing it.

Thanks again.

• Staff
21 hours ago, migel said:

Just got around to trying it, and it works! Thanks so much, dns slipped my mind and it makes sense since it was a brand new PC that was having issues. I'd recommend putting it in the activation tutorial page, since I have seen a lot of others with the same issue and not seen this method of fixing it.

Thanks again.

That's great to hear. Will add it to an FAQ asap.

• 3 weeks later...

HI,

Have installed Affinity Photo 2 onto my macbook Air and i'm getting error message "There was an problem communicating with the server".  I have reinstalled and disabled the firewall before installing but still getting the error message.  Any idea how I can fix the issue, using McAfee total protection for mac. 

Thanks

7 hours ago, GlenGriffo said:

Have installed Affinity Photo 2 onto my macbook Air and i'm getting error message "There was an problem communicating with the server".  I have reinstalled and disabled the firewall before installing but still getting the error message.  Any idea how I can fix the issue, using McAfee total protection for mac. 

Does the fix in this post help?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• Staff
On 2/22/2023 at 12:53 PM, Mikkel Barfoed said:

I am having this same issue on a corporate Win10 PC. 

My IT operations dept. has confirmed, that both proxy and firewall allows me to connect to:
https://affinity.api.serifservices.com
https://affinity.serif.com

I've also tried the ipconfig/flushdns fix, but nothing works.

What to do?

@Mikkel BarfoedOne of the main issues we're seeing relating to activation is the user's time/timezone being incorrect. Not sure if that's the issue in your case because you're on a corporate machine but worth checking.

Did you guys all use a pfSense Firewall? For me I was able to reproduce the error while using pfSense as Firewall. Within another network it works without any issues. Don't know whats going on there - but I do not have blocked any of the serif.com domains 🤷🏼‍♂️