You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Fonts unavailable

Denny

I’m seeing various problems with fonts.

1. Some fonts that have been imported into the v2 apps do not work. I get empty placeholder boxes for each character. These seemed to work initially but then stopped.
  2. In other cases fonts that are already on the iPad and work in all other apps such as Pages, Numbers, and the v1 versions of Affinity Designer/Photo, show up as red colored as though they are not available for v2 apps. 
  3. Many fonts that do work, when selected, show in the toolbar as Chinese characters instead of the name of the font. In the v1 Affinity apps they show up properly with actual font names.

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

I can confirm this.

Fonts installed with the CreativeCloud app on iPad are available to other apps, but do not register properly with Publisher.

They are available in the menu, but seem to render as a substitute font, and the font name shows as red with a preceding question mark in the toolbar.

Hello World! I have a similar problem:

I wanted to pass over a IDML (Indesign file) with styles using BEBAS font (regular, bold, light) i went to settings and added the font .ttf (publisher doesn't accept .otf files) and the layout was not reading the font properly. What needed to be regular was bold and all caps. very frustrating. i thought i could finish the project on publisher on iPad but i guess not yet.

image.thumb.png.0e3d36b6e42c5804f5b070ba72af8069.png

Edited by celeo
typo

• Staff
On 11/11/2022 at 2:45 PM, Denny said:

Many fonts that do work, when selected, show in the toolbar as Chinese characters instead of the name of the font. In the v1 Affinity apps they show up properly with actual font names.

Could you name a few fonts that have this issue? I'm not seeing this issue here. Also, what iPadOS are you running?

I’m running iPadOS 16.1 and 16.1.1

A small sampling of the fonts where I’m seeing the Chinese description include: Helvetica Baskerville, Gill Sans, Berlin Sans, Arial, American Captain, Georgia, Snell Roundhand, Marker Felt, Chalkboard SE, Honey Script, Papyrus, Antique Book Cover. It seems to be a mix of default fonts, fonts that I have added via the Affinity import in settings and fonts that I have added with the app AnyFont.

It seems random.

Web & Graphic Design @ beardyguycreative.com

Kit: iPad Pro 12.9" and 2012 MacMini

I've just seen this too, with the font Canela Text - I guess that's a default iPad font because I didn't install it. It's in the list of fonts for the text tools, but shows up red in the toolbar in Publisher (and Designer) when I select it. iPad OS 16.1.1. 

On 11/15/2022 at 6:27 AM, celeo said:

Hello World!

Welcome to the Serif Affinity Forums, @celeo. :)

On 11/15/2022 at 6:27 AM, celeo said:

I wanted to pass over a IDML (Indesign file) with styles using BEBAS font (regular, bold, light) i went to settings and added the font .ttf (publisher doesn't accept .otf files) and the layout was not reading the font properly. What needed to be regular was bold and all caps. very frustrating. i thought i could finish the project on publisher on iPad but i guess not yet.

I don’t think Bebas Neue has ever worked with the iPad versions of the Affinity apps. Try Gobold instead.

(publisher doesn't accept .otf files)

It should do!

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

• 3 months later...

I have exactly the problems described here with a 12" Ipad and Ipad OS 16.3.1. I could partly solve the problems by importing the fonts directly into Photo 2.0.4 via .ttf or .otf. However, the error that displays the font name in Chinese does not go away. Font example is „widescreen“

D528EEC6-F172-49BD-ABDB-6498D9DAED95.jpeg

Edited by Xesc

• 2 weeks later...
  • Staff

The issue "[iPad] Fonts installed from creative cloud show on context toolbar with name in Chinese " (REF: AFD-6170) has been improved by the developers in internal build "2.1.0.1736".
This fix should soon be available as a customer beta and is planned for inclusion in the next customer release.
Customer beta builds are announced here and you can participate by following these instructions.
If you still experience this problem once you are using that build version (or later) please reply to this thread including @Serif Info Bot to notify us.