You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

In publisher V2, Table buttons are inactive

notabene34

This is not the case on my Mac - these options work fine. However, when I select a table, I no longer get the bar along the top and side with the row/column numbers. As such, I have no way to manually dragging rows and columns to be the size I want, which feels overly annoying.

I'm on Mac Catalina and when I create a table I get the column, row and cell reference bars

image.png.963ce5222a0048ac6b23d72eee703de3.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

@notabene34 the option buttons look greyed out but clicking on them should bring up the relevant panels.

406501692_Screenshot2022-11-10at11_18_44.png.9030f62c91311ec29658de2d2bceb1f5.png 

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.3.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

I'm on Mac Catalina and when I create a table I get the column, row and cell reference bars

image.png.963ce5222a0048ac6b23d72eee703de3.png

I'm on Montery and can't get those reference bars at all... unless I've toggled something off by accident that I can't find.

Just out of curiosity does this open with the ref bars showing?

Table with ref bars.afpub

We'll have to see if other OSX Monterey users have a similar issue but again take a look at the Performance tab in Affinity Publisher Prefs and see if OpenGL works and or disable metal HW Acceleration to see if that has an affect.

5 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

We'll have to see if other OSX Monterey users have a similar issue but again take a look at the Performance tab in Affinity Publisher Prefs and see if OpenGL works and or disable metal HW Acceleration to see if that has an affect.

OpenGL was already the selected default, however I have tried each of the 4 options, along with deselecting Metal and none of them did anything to resolve the issue.

I'll try upgrading to Ventura in a bit to see if it's a Monterey specific issue. 

1 minute ago, SubTric said:

OpenGL was already the selected default, however I have tried each of the 4 options, along with deselecting Metal and none of them did anything to resolve the issue.

I'll try upgrading to Ventura in a bit to see if it's a Monterey specific issue. 

Good luck 🙂

17 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

Good luck 🙂

So, they're actually there, but they are invisible. If I hover in just the right place outside the table, the cursor changes, allowing me to drag table width, and it I click in just the right location, I get the option to change the number of rows etc... I just can't physically see the reference bars!?

1 hour ago, firstdefence said:

Good luck 🙂

Upgrade to Ventura complete - still no table reference bars :(

No chance that this could be because I'm running it on the 
free trial (was just poking around with current projects before I jumped in for the upgrade) is there?

No, the trial is fully functional and there is no way to turn the ref bars on and off.

2 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

No, the trial is fully functional and there is no way to turn the ref bars on and off.

No idea what's going off then. Like I said above - they are there, but they are invisible, which implies some kind of graphical issue. I went back and checked V1 Publisher - still functioning perfectly for tables. No idea why V2 seems to dislike my machine!

In order to get the ref bars you need to have the table tool selected from the menu bar...
image.png.b63a3e99f5c13f8812b89f556c27064a.png

If I have any other tool selected the ref bars do not show.

image.png.22d5c73add9b719e8cd16a5172411b55.png

8 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

In order to get the ref bars you need to have the table tool selected from the menu bar...
image.png.b63a3e99f5c13f8812b89f556c27064a.png

If I have any other tool selected the ref bars do not show.

image.png.22d5c73add9b719e8cd16a5172411b55.png

Yep - I've been using Publisher for a few years now so I'm used to this behaviour, hence it seeming so odd. It's clearly a glitch though as they are actually there. I can over over where they should be and have the cursor change to drag the row width etc... I just can't actually see them!

12 minutes ago, MikeTO said:

I shared a workaround for the missing table column/row formatting bars that worked for at least one other person

Yep! This has fixed it immediately. But only until I close the application. On restart, I have to toggle that setting again to make them come back.

Still, it works for now!

1 hour ago, SubTric said:

Yep! This has fixed it immediately. But only until I close the application. On restart, I have to toggle that setting again to make them come back.

Still, it works for now!

Well done MikeTO and glad you got it sorted.

I'm on Mac Ventura 13.0.1 and don't have any problems with tables so don't see how it can be a software problem like a bug otherwise we would all have the same problem. Must be attributable to individuals specific system setups somehow. Anyway, I can confirm that on my Mac running Ventura all seems well...at the moment!