You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity won't be a professional software until it can process R3D, Arriraw, and Braw stills.

This software is still for amateurs and prosumers. It makes no sense to me that since 2015 people have been asking for support for R3D stills, and 7 years later there's still no support. This software will never compete against any of the adobe software.

Edited by dannm

I think not so many people use 3D, so why should Serif this develop. 
And as photographer can ask yourself Do I need 3D, then choose the software that can do that. 
But thats my opinion.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

3 hours ago, Studio97Visuals said:

I think not so many people use 3D, so why should Serif this develop.

This has nothing to do with 3D.  The formats that were listed are proprietary lossy-compressed RAW digital cinema (video) file formats (except BRAW which is technically not a true RAW format, but likes to pretend to be one by providing a useful subset of its advantages).  Some of the cameras which use these formats can capture pseudo-stills in these formats by recording them essentially as single-frame clips.

While the formats are proprietary, at least R3D (RED Digital Cinema) and BRAW (Blackmagic Design) have SDKs available for 3rd parties to support reading the formats in other software.  Not sure about Arri RAW, and personally don't really care.

While it would be perfectly reasonable for Serif to support using the available SDKs to open single-frame clips from these cameras, the notion that photo software is somehow less "professional" because it doesn't support reading these highly specialized digital cinema formats is so preposterous it is laughable.

oke, from that sight I understand this.

Windows 11 (Home)-build: 23H2- build 22631.2715
-  64 bits. 
11e generatie Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-11700K @ 32,60GHz.
Ram: 80 GB  DDR4 -3200 Mhz-  34" breedbeeld
GpuGeforce 3060 -12GB  OC-studiodriver: 537-58 - XP-Pen star03 -
mastodon.nl /@digitalvisuals - website:  digitalvisuals.nl

Affinity Photo2 - Designer 1.10-  Publisher 1.10 - ArtRage 6 - Lumina Aurora - ArtRage.

Been paid for work done in Affinity.  You can't get more professional than that.  While I am all in favor of supporting these file formats, There are plenty of us who do not use those formats and are quite happy.  

Do 'professional photographers' who only shoot stills on the Nikon/Sony/Canon/Olympus /Leica platforms somehow not qualify as 'pro?'    I mean RED, Blackmagic, and Arri are video centric cameras who can take the occasional still, and there can't be that many people running around with a RED Dragon doing street photography, can there?  :)  

Sorry, the metal picture just made me laugh.