You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Opening RAW Photos in Affinity Photo First Timer ?

Hi Guys,

Facing an issue, This is the first time i have clicked some RAW Photos they are in the .dng format and surprisingly when I try to open it on my windows computer they by default only open directly in the Affinity Photo Software. Can RAW Photos not be viewed like a normal JPEG or a PNG file on your computer ?

second my question is, so when the photo opened with Affinity Photo Software it went in a strange mode, and said it is  developing the RAW Photo what does it mean ? Should I let it convert ?

Third, so the first time when I opened one RAW photo in Affinity Photo Software and it was developing it, I tried to close the Software it gave me a pop do you want to cancel the developing I clicked Yes. I hope this does not tamper or harm or mutilate the original RAW Photo file that I had ? Does it ?

Can someone please tell me about this ?

Thanks in Advance !

• Staff

To view RAW files directly in Windows you will need a Windows plugin such as the free Microsoft Raw Image Extension.

Affinity Photo does not allow you to directly edit the RAW file and you will need to develop the file into memory and then you can ether export the photo or save as an .afphoto file once you have finished your edits.

As we do not write back to the original RAW file cancelling the develop process will not cause any changes to be made to the original RAW file.

5 minutes ago, DWright said:

As we do not write back to the original RAW file cancelling the develop process will not cause any changes to be made to the original RAW file.

That is you are saying if I abort the Develop process half the way in Affinity Photo that will not harm the original file right ? That is what you are saying.

So to work on any RAW File in Affinity Photo I need to first let the Software Develop it right ?

34 minutes ago, DWright said:

That is correct RAW files need to be developed in Affinity Photo to allow full editability 

My other question is, what do I do let it develp fully. I have the image opened in Affinity Photo and it just shows a corner of the image lit up rest is dark. So how do I know it is ready to be devloped ? Do I need to click any button anywhere in the devleop persona ?

50 minutes ago, augustya said:

I have the image opened in Affinity Photo and it just shows a corner of the image lit up rest is dark.

A couple of possibilities (there may be more):

1. Your camera's RAW format is not supported by Affinity Photo.
  2. On Windows, you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled in Photo's Preferences, Performance, settings. Try disabling it.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

13 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

A couple of possibilities (there may be more):

1. Your camera's RAW format is not supported by Affinity Photo.
  2. On Windows, you have Hardware Acceleration (OpenCL) enabled in Photo's Preferences, Performance, settings. Try disabling it.

I am on Windows 7 :( 

17 minutes ago, augustya said:

I am on Windows 7 :( 

Then perhaps it is an unsupported camera.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

3 hours ago, walt.farrell said:

Then perhaps it is an unsupported camera.

As I understand it, the OP said the RAW file was in the .dng format, which I thought was a so-called "universal" format, not related to any specific camera  model. 

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

20 minutes ago, R C-R said:

As I understand it, the OP said the RAW file was in the .dng format, which I thought was a so-called "universal" format, not related to any specific camera  model. 

Correct. .dng is one of the RAW Photo File names. Not related to any camera.

41 minutes ago, augustya said:

Correct. .dng is one of the RAW Photo File names. Not related to any camera.

How did you create it? 

Do you have one you can share here?

-- Walt
PC: