You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Publisher crashes every few minutes (so does photo)

Daley

I have an issue with publisher (and photo) crashing every five to ten minutes. I have worked through all the crash resolution techniques several times. I have removed any apps that in the past have caused issues with other programs. I have uninstalled the program and installed on a different computer. Same exact issues. Once it crashes, I have to shut down my desktop or laptop and restart it. I assume you can imagine what a time waste that is. I really like these programs and hope that you can suggest something  - either than Adobe - to solve this issue. 

Did you try to disable Hardware Acceleration in Preferences....

-- Window 11 - 32 gb - Intel I7 - 8700 - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
-- iPad Pro 2020 - 12,9 - 256 gb - Apple Pencil 2 -- iPad 9th gen 256 gb - Apple Pencil 1
-- Macbook Air 15"

Possibly: 

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• 2 weeks later...

It crashes when changing fonts, when correcting spelling, when adding or deleting pages, when using master pages, when changing font sizes. SOmetimes it will restart and sometimes I have to completely shut down the computer and reboot. 

8 hours ago, Daley said:

It crashes when changing fonts, when correcting spelling, when adding or deleting pages, when using master pages, when changing font sizes. SOmetimes it will restart and sometimes I have to completely shut down the computer and reboot. 

Did you check for the Windows updates in the FAQ article I linked to above?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

I am having crashing issues as well. I have uninstalled Windows 11 and tried to hide it as was suggested when I first asked about this. Windows updated it anyway back to Windows 11. I am not sure what to do now since I am unable to go back to Windows 10. Is there any other options to get Publisher to work without crashing with Windows 11? Thank you

I followed walt's instructions and it has improved greatly on my laptop. My tower is still on Windows 10 and his suggestions did not work for that. I'd put 11 back on and see if Walt's suggestions help. Then save, save, save.

I'm also having a lot of crashing issues. Like I-can't-work-anymore lot.

-I tried to uninstall the updates but my computer doesn't have none of those (I'm on Windows 10, Publisher ver. 1.10.5.1342 Spanish)
-I've stopped writing the font's name, just scroll
-I choose the font size by mouse scrolling or writing
-Now I drag&drop the images instead of using the menu
-Hardware acceleration is disabled

And after all, after loading the file, the app closes as soon as I interact with anything that visually changes the file in any way -preview, click a layer, select something- so frequent saving is not an option. In this case, is a three-page default-style A4 with some text boxes, images, and a chart (the images are not inside the chart, but in a group above). No master pages, elaborate edition or too many elements, just to avoid crashing.

Is there a way I can still use the app? Thank you...

captura.jpg

Hi @MercurioBebop

Try the following solution approach:

Open the directory in which the Affinity programmes are installed. As a rule, C:\Programme\Affinity\(Desinger ...Photo ...Publisher)
Search and open the .exe.config file (for example Designer.exe.config) with a text editor.
Search for "<add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="true"/>"
Replace the value true with the value false.
Save the file (administrative rights are required to overwrite!)

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

@Peppicko

That's not Serif's fault. The rotten nut lies with one of Microsoft's dotNET components.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

On 10/30/2022 at 10:07 PM, Komatös said:

Hi @MercurioBebop

Try the following solution approach:

Open the directory in which the Affinity programmes are installed. As a rule, C:\Programme\Affinity\(Desinger ...Photo ...Publisher)
Search and open the .exe.config file (for example Designer.exe.config) with a text editor.
Search for "<add key="IsVirtualizingStackPanel_45Compatible" value="true"/>"
Replace the value true with the value false.
Save the file (administrative rights are required to overwrite!)

@KomatösYes! Thank you! It worked in my computer too!

Let's hope Microsoft stops changing things without telling developers.

On 11/2/2022 at 11:23 AM, Peppicko said:

@Komatös Thank you! This did the trick :5_smiley: 

Too bad Serif doesn't provide such a workaround so that people can keep working. 

Thank you. I have wasted a couple of days due to this problem. I totally agree Serif should be publicising this fix or re-issuing the software with this value. I was trying to demonstrate the software to a new potential user and it was crashing everytime we added a new section. It looked really bad!

@JeffJeffreyJeff

Serif is not to blame here. Microsoft has had a problem with their virtual stacking function for command sequences since the last cumulative .NET updates. My solution disables stacking, which can cause parallel command chains to be delayed or stalled in processing.

Should Microsoft provide a fix for this in the near future, it is advised to reset the changes to the configuration files.