You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Soft Proof Adjustment Layer

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Wait for your reply.

I refer to the explanation of ‘Gamut Check’ at the bottom of the quick help page. It states that the gamut check will display RGB colours without a CYMK equivalent as gray.

1.      Can you tell me what is meant by CYMK equivalent?

2.      When I select Adobe RGB, the images show the colours exactly as they should be. But as soon as I switch to a Photo paper profile, gray areas show up. Can you explain           what exactly is going on here?

@HerrBill, you may find it helpful to read https://blog.xmcinc.com/understanding-the-color-gamut to get a better handle on how color spaces & gamuts relate to each other, but in simple terms, the CMYK gamut is smaller than the RGB gamut so, for instance, your document may have RGB colors in it that are outside the CMYK gamut & thus have no CMYK equivalent.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

1) CYMK stands for Cyan Yellow Magenta and blacK, the ink colors used for printers. Monitors don't use CYMK but use Red Green and Blue light. SoftProofing tries to simulate on the monitor how this imagine  will look like if printed on a certain type of paper paper using CYMB ink. Not all RBG colors are possible to print with CYMK ink and these colors are  are shown in grey  as a warning. They have no CYMK equivalent.

2) I don't know the details from your image but if you select the adobe RGB gamut as softproof profile, the RGB colors from your picture will fit in the adobe RGB gamut and no grey is shown. Adobe RGB is not a paper profile for SoftProofing.

Thanks to both of you four replies.

I found the blog on the xmc web site very informative. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

To be honest, I don't think I will pay much attention to Gamut checks in the future unless of course I find colours in the final print are really off.

The CYMK colour space is much smaller than RGB and as editing in done in the main with RGB in conjunction with an ICC profile; it stands to reason that certain colours will always be outside the printers colour space. I will leave the rendering to perceptual. It has done a good job for me in the past.

My sincere thanks to all who replied.

On 9/29/2022 at 2:11 PM, HerrBill said:

as soon as I switch to a Photo paper profile

As far I understand there are currently known and logged limitations for softproof in Affinity. Compare:

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1