You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Monogram - Logo - Putting two letters on each other

Hey,

I want to create a Monogram - Logo, but I've got one big problem: I need a clear cut between the edges of those two letters and I don't know how to do it. I want the exact same thing as shown in the image below. Struggling for two days now... Please help me. :S

Sorry for my poor english. Hope you get what I mean. ;)

post-24717-0-89070800-1451343981_thumb.jpg

Does nobody have a clue on how to do that? Man I need to find out how to put two letters on each other with creating those spaces inbetween... Tried to cheat as best as possible and just tried putting shapes on the letters to achieve those gaps, but it's not quite accurate. There must be an option for that.

So If anybody knows how to do that, please let us know. :)

Hardouken,

You don't say which program you would like to do this with, Designer or Photo? I used Designer and I created a sample for you to look at. It is rather simple. Just create your letters and then, using your sample make sure the "Y" is above the "E" (also convert them to Curves or "Outlines"). Next copy the "E" and move one copy of it above the "Y". So now you should have 3 objects in this order a letter "E"-"Y"-"E". Using the pen tool draw around the area of the "Y" that you want to show up. Next using the boolean operations, subtract the shape that you just drew from the top "E". Next repeat the process for the lower part of the "Y" that you want to show up and then subtract it again from the top "E". This will give you the results that you are looking for.

Hokusai

Sample.afdesign

In addition, you can use a stroke around the Y in the same colour as the background.. only I don't know how an bolean operation agree with that?

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

I think you have to deal with an offset and use the offset with the Boolean operations (subtraction to get the gap) - but there is no offset-tool in the moment ;-)

here you will find a workaround for an offset: https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/16597-offset-path/?p=75199

MacOS Big Sur AD + AP + APub

Hey,

hmm unfortunately I'm back with my problem here. By using the method you guys showed me, I was able to create Monogram number 1. I did an early version (number 2) which looks a little bit more dynamic, I did this one by using additional forms in the same color of the background an just put them on the letter where I wanted the gap, but this seems way to ineffective and not precise eneough and my client wants the logo to look like number 2 (bad for me ;)).

I did the first Logo because it was much easier for me. the second one seems very difficult to do, especially what I'm struggling with is the gap which is skewed. Man I'm going crazy on this one ;/ How can I get the logo version 2? I was only able to get logo version 1 by using the tools you guys mentioned but I'm not able to get the "dynamic" one by using those tools. :(

Would appreciate any suggestion and help.

Thanks.

post-24717-0-68696400-1452351681_thumb.png

post-24717-0-94257900-1452351695_thumb.png

You can get perfectly uniformed exclusions with the instructions above with one (or two) additional steps....

Question first (only comes into play in the end steps): Do you have a preference in using masks or are booleans okay?

Basic process:

1) Convert your letters to curves

1) Stroke your letters ( :D....  sorry that sounded funny)... click "draw behind fill" just so you can see better.

2) Expand stroke and use a copy of each letter to boolean subtract the overlaps.

Now you have a perfectly uniform thick outline shape running around each letter.

3) use these shapes to either create masks or boolean subtract the areas to be removed.

You can do this a number of ways.... labor intensive or really quickly using booleans again.

A) Labor intensive: you can add points and cut up the shape into the pieces you need.

or

B )   B) Quick: use booleans again to get the pieces. BUT be careful here because the boolean will create pieces which are exact to the underlying letter shape. If you use these to mask, or for a final boolean subtract, they MAY leave tiny artifacts. To fix, add a point on the end of each piece and drag out a tiny bit.

--------

This might be coming across as confusing. Tell me if you get lost and I'll post some images :) .

Better still....

1: Convert a copy of your letters to curves

2: Isolate the bits of the curves that span the areas that need to be knocked out. This way you can easily build in the little extra you need and you won't have to contend with the tiny artifacts from the first method.

3: Now apply stroke, expand stroke, boolean subtract the overlap.

You now have the pieces in their final state to subtract or erase or whatever.

post-12544-0-57845500-1452383480_thumb.png

Thanks guys, but I have to admit I don't know much about AD and struggle a lot finding those features. It all seems so complicated and it's really frustrating.

Well, however I kinda managed to get what I wanted and I really don't know what I did exactly, clicked here and there and voila hehe. I know that's not supposed how it should be done but I was getting angry and just wanted to finish that logo somehow... Well, that's the result in the end.

The logo was made for a lawyer here in Germany, in case you wonder what the text above the logo is saying.

But I've got one more question left: Could yomebody tell me how I could allign every elemt of logo and text perfectly? So that everything is well balanced. How can I spot the exact midpoint of my circle, to place the monogram on it. (?)

Thanks again. Really appreciate your guys' help.

post-24717-0-03344800-1452522447_thumb.png

Turned out great :)

I´d center the circle in my document (via snapping or via the arrange button in the top toolbar) and then group the letters and also center this group via snapping or the arrange tool.

But honestly I don´t see an flaw in our current alignment so I´d probably keep it like this....

I´d probably only push the § symbol a bit to the left so that it does not sneak out under the bottom right edge of the E.