You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Hi,

anybody aware of a method to remove motion blur in Affinity?

Having an image of night sky with star trails of e.g. 7px length resulting from long exposure, assuming all are perfectly parallel and in the same angle. Every star (of 1-2px light color) is stretched over 7px, and clearly different from much darker sky.

My idea would be to replace any 7px trail by the 1px having the sum of all light pixels (3 to the right and left, custom filter), and letting the dark background untouched (fill in 3px to every side of trail with average of background pixels, similar to inpatient or dust & scratch removal).

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

What you describe is similar to an approach called "Deconvolution". As far as I am concerned it is not implemented in Affinity. Smart Deblur has a motion blur deconvolution (I have no experiences with it).
You can find implementations of deconvolution in RawTherapee and gmic (plugin collection that also works in Affinity Photo) but as far as I am concerned these can only be applied to circular blurs, not to motion blurs. In general, you are very quickly in advanced math space with deblurring.

Edited by d_jan
clarification

Just now, d_jan said:

these can only be applied to circular blurs

But are star trails not circular? The pole may be out of frame but they would be curved.

Regardless, I expect the use of much heavy math(s).

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

30 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

But are star trails not circular? The pole may be out of frame but they would be curved.

Regardless, I expect the use of much heavy math(s).

Yes in general. But depending on some factors like focal length / field of view, exposure time etc, you might use linear as approximation to simplify.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

35 minutes ago, d_jan said:

What you describe is similar to an approach called "Deconvolution". As far as I am concerned it is not implemented in Affinity. Smart Deblur has a motion blur deconvolution (I have no experiences with it).
You can find implementations of deconvolution in RawTherapee and gmic (plugin collection that also works in Affinity Photo) but as far as I am concerned these can only be applied to circular blurs, not to motion blurs. In general, you are very quickly in advanced math space with deblurring.

I experimented a bit with gmic (when on Windows), need to re-install again on M1 Mac where should be available now.

Thanks for all your replies. I don't intend spending extra money or using other apps, just curious if this is possible with any kind of workflow directly in Affinity. 

19 hours ago, NotMyFault said:

anybody aware of a method to remove motion blur in Affinity?

Probably one of the most difficult problems to fix.

One method you can try is using the Emboss filter (Filters > Colours > Emboss) in soft light and try to shift the pixels in a direction opposite to the motion blur.
If you start with a little motion blur, you might be able to see some improvement.

And then there are the deconvolution algorithms.
There is a free software called "Image Analizer" for windows that you can try.
Unfortunately there is not enough information on how to use this "Restoration by deconvolution" filter and requires some processing power to estimate the parameters.

Ive never used Topaz Sharpen Ai, but based on the examples Ive seen so far, Id say its the best method to fix motion blur problems.