You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Publisher seems to suffer from low refresh rate

It seems that my affinity publisher suffers from low refresh rate.

To best describe it, it really looks like i was playing a game and Vsync was off, it's most obvious when i move a picture around.

this picture, even though it's about a game, looks very similar to what i see on my screen in publisher:

What is Vsync and should I have it on or off?

I tried messing around with the performance settings, but didn't manage to find a solution.

i also turned on vsync in my nvidia control panel but still no solution.

can you please help me?

• Staff

Hi Coque.regis,

Welcome to the forums :)

It sounds as though this is a redraw issue If you go into the apps preferences under performance and try setting the View Quality to nearest neighbour this issue should stop occuring. Please could you also tell me if you have Open Cl enabled in the apps performance preferences?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

Unfortunately, all Affinity apps have awful tearing issues. This is one of my main complaints about Affinity suite.

In these apps canvas is being redrawn in smaller square tiles without any synchronization.

We've been told multiple times here on forums that it is a performance optimization.

Unfortunately, there is currently no way or setting of fixing or improving this. Nothing in Preferences helps.

What we see — simply unacceptable. Serif needs to make some global changes in canvas rendering pipeline.

Can you upload a screenshot of your Preferences > Performance dialog?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@coque.regis Another and well known reason for Affinity apps which causes refresh rate drops is your mouse polling rate. If you have it set to 500Hz or 1000Hz, try lowering it to 250Hz or 125Hz. It will greatly improve your canvas redrawing performance. At least it did for my Logitech G102.

It won't let you completely get rid of these tearing artifacts as they are integral part of how Affinity apps render the canvas. But it can greatly improve an overall visual feedback and performance.

Edited by Alex M

@coque.regis It's way more advanced mouse than mine and it should be configurable as well. You should look for polling rate (it might be called – report rate) not sensitivity.

You can check your current polling rate here — https://www.clickspeedtester.com/mouse-polling-rate-checker/

Edited by Alex M

From your screenshot I see that your Geforce is listed as the renderer. You can look into setting application specific settings in the Nvidia Control Panel to override standard behavior on a per app basis. I have a G-SYNC monitor and experienced similar issues where the framerate started tanking in Affinity products a year or so ago as I have G-SYNC enabled for both f ullscreen and windowed apps. The solution was to change the Monitor Technology from G-SYNC (in my case) to Fixed Refresh. I did this for both Designer and Photo and everything is back to being buttery smooth.

Here are the steps to give this a shot.

1. Right-click the NVIDIA icon in the notification area and select the NVIDIA Control Panel.
  2. Click on Manage 3d settings
  3. Click on the Program Settings tab.
  4. Look for your Affinity apps in the list. If not there, you can click Add to add them.
  5. Change the Monitor Technology option to Fixed Refresh.
  6. Click the Apply button that will appear near the bottom right of the window to save your changes.

image.png.081581fc5d87b68f7b15839adbf43dfe.png

image.png.37d641e64a739ef370891c19d8ef68a3.png

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/26/2022 at 6:08 PM, coque.regis said:

sadly i don't have that setting:

But do have an 'info' note saying that Windows OS now manages selection of the GPU & a link to Windows graphics settings.

What happens if you open that app? Is there anything relevant in that? (I'm not a Windows user so I do not know what if anything that might be.)

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

• 1 year later...