You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I bought affinity photo for my iPad, so I have to pay again to have it on my Mac??

Not long ago I brought affinity photo and designer on my iPad Air. I recently treated myself to a MacBook but it seems as thought I have to purchase the forward again to be able to use it on my laptop? Is this true or is there a way for me to transfer that purchase onto my Mac? 

Just as a side note, the iPad apps are less than half the price of their desktop counterparts. If we could transfer the licence from tablet to desktop, iPad owners would have an unfair advantage over other customers.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

13 minutes ago, Alfred said:

If we could transfer the licence from tablet to desktop, iPad owners would have an unfair advantage over other customers.

Or everyone could buy the iPad version and just transfer it to their desktop! 😉

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

12 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

And as far as I know the iPad/Tablet-versions have totally different GUIs. So it wouldn't work anyway. Or am I wrong?

Quite right - the iPad versions also lack some of the features in the desktop versions. (I assume that's one reason why they are cheaper!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

1 hour ago, Alfred said:

Just as a side note, the iPad apps are less than half the price of their desktop counterparts. If we could transfer the licence from tablet to desktop, iPad owners would have an unfair advantage over other customers.

1 hour ago, PaulEC said:

Or everyone could buy the iPad version and just transfer it to their desktop! 😉

That’s exactly what I meant, Paul, so not really an either/or. :)

58 minutes ago, iconoclast said:

And as far as I know the iPad/Tablet-versions have totally different GUIs. So it wouldn't work anyway. Or am I wrong?

The iPad software won’t work on desktop systems (although I think it could have worked on a Mac if Serif had chosen to allow that) but I was really just talking about the licences that we purchase. Much to the annoyance of a segment of the customer base, Serif doesn’t offer multi-platform licences.

Alfred spacer.png
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for Windows • Windows 10 Home/Pro
Affinity Designer/Photo/Publisher 2 for iPad • iPadOS 17.4.1 (iPad 7th gen)

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

That’s exactly what I meant, Paul, so not really an either/or. :)

I suppose so, I was just thinking that it would not actually be that iPad owners would have an unfair advantage, but that everyone would be able to pay the same low price. Of course, as you say:

26 minutes ago, Alfred said:

The iPad software won’t work on desktop systems ... but I was really just talking about the licences that we purchase. ... Serif doesn’t offer multi-platform licences.

so it's all moot anyway! 😁

@Alfred, @PaulEC, @iconoclast

Or even better — maybe one day Serif will make the iPad versions just as expensive as their desktop counterparts so all this nonsense talk to disappear.

And with all due respect — it’s not us iPad users’ fault that Serif has to apply to a certain price model to be competitive on a platform where a $10 drawing app such as (erased) has become the industry standard for artists and studios around the world, or where apps like etc etc erased, I don’t want to be perceived as promoting other vector apps.

Saying that iPad users like me don’t deserve the full desktop version because I was asked to pay less feels a tiny bit ‘disrespectful’ unfair. If we purchased M1 devices just as powerful as latest Macs I’m sure we would pay the full asking price “for the full experience” without second thoughts.

So I respectfully disagree with this gross oversimplification of facts.

StudioLink 256gb 11’ M1 iPad Pro

iPadOS 17 Public Beta 1

iPad Magic Keyboard

On 4/23/2022 at 2:03 PM, iuli said:

Saying that iPad users like me don’t deserve the full desktop version because I was asked to pay less feels a tiny bit ‘disrespectful’.

I don't think anyone said, or meant, that!

Basically, you get what you pay for. You can't just install the iPad version on a desktop computer. There are significant differences between the iPad and desktop versions of the apps, (they are effectively two different products,) and that (along with market forces) dictates that there will be a difference in price. If iPad users could get the full/desktop version (by virtue of the fact that they had already purchased the iPad version,) without paying the same price desktop only users had paid, would hardly be fair to desktop users who had paid more than twice as much!