You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Unwanted image outline in Publisher

Hello,

I am writing documents and found that many times the image that I place as Figures show up some ghost outline that should not show in the PDF. If I try to paint around it with white then the brush that is painted show its outline wher it moved around. How can I get rid of that.

See attached image with the gray lines around the magnified image

King regards,

Andrew

Screenshot 2022-03-13 195605.png

I assume you don't talk about the shelf board illustration within the blue circle but the light grey c-shaped rectangular hairline indicating the image edges, correct?

Can you upload a screenshot showing the layout with the affected object + the Layers panel with its possibly collapsed layers unfolded but no object selected + chosen "Large Thumbnails" in the Layers panel top right 'burger' menu? Also, uploading the affected image resource might help to detect a culprit.

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

That is correct, the light grey c-shaped lines are the problem. It appears sometimes with other images. Every now and then painting over the area with white solves the problem but not all the time. This is one of those times. I usually edit the image by switching to photo within publisher. Not sure if that would have anything to do. This image needed some white out masking around the blue circle to appear as a magnification.

Here are the selected and unselected images and the original images for the effected one.

Screenshot 2022-03-14 195602.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 195904.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 195931.png

Screenshot 2022-03-14 200340.png

1 - Main PSS Leg - 5-1.png

1 - Main PSS Leg - 5-3.png

Still hard to tell. The judgment of a situation it is easier for the community if screenshots aren't separate pictures of single areas of a screen but rather a shot of the entire screen. Also, widening the Layers Panel before screenshots is useful to make the layer type visible, e.g. "(Image)" or "(Pixel)".

The grey border could be caused by a stroke assigned to the image layer, or could be part of the placed resource file. Currently I am confused by the layer thumbnail of this image: it shows black paint on its right edge – different to the image you uploaded as "1-MainPSSLeg-5-3.png". So, I assume the process of this black paint is involved in the grey border around the image. I don't get it when using your provided images.

403399163_blackpaintnotmask.jpg.f530de10300506903f2843d20f66d0ca.jpg

Instead of painting on the image to mask unwanted parts of it a faster way in Affinity may be clipping the image, e.g. by using the Vector Crop Tool or nesting the image layer in a Picture frame. Where it should appear inside another shape you simply can use this shape object as the clipping mask of the image, for instance:

461614216_clippingmask.jpg.2e9ba9fbd7bacdba317c8192bb6c74df.jpg

I uploaded the entire file but this cannot be shared publicly.

Sometimes some of the frame edge lines show up even when the image is not edited only cropped. Sometimes when editing image like painting over with the white to make parts 'sappear' will generate that ghost lines where the brushes moved and shows all the brush strokes' edges.

BTW I am using the PC version of the Affinity suite in case it has something to do with it. On the original file there is no lines visible at all only in the PDF exported versions they show up.

Hi @thomaso

The image need to disappear on the outside of the circle to simulate the relevant style of technical drawings so cannot just put a circle on it. On the original image where the part needs to be 'magnfied' is normally circled, as you can see the small one but the actual 'magnified' representation must look the way I did it but perhaps there is a better way of making that happen. I erased it to transparent background initially but that did not make those ghost lines disappear so then I tried it to brush over with white.

I have all three of the affinity suits so I can switch between any of them within Publisher so any suggestions I can try to do as long as I can generate images the way they need to be shown.

26 minutes ago, Andrew S said:

I erased it to transparent background initially but that did not make those ghost lines disappear so then I tried it to brush over with white.

It is a bit confusing: What is the black paint stroke visible in your Layer panel screenshot? And what image did you actually upload, for what use or test? Obviously my reproduced layout does not show this rectangular border with your provided image. If you uploaded an image which you painted before at its border with white would mean, the border has been in your image and was not caused by its use in the layout.

Or maybe it occurs in your PDF viewer only? With the attached PDF I don't see the border in Acrobat or macOS Preview, how about you? If you get it, which app are you using? v1105 image border.pdf

Hi @thomaso

I haven't thought of tha PDF reader. I use Foxit PDF reader but it still should not be on the images as something then must have been written to the PDF by Publisher to show up like that. I do not have borders an any of my images. I generated them with tranparent background or captured them an white background screen.

I managed to get rid of the lines on that image by applying a circular mask on it but I need to see what I can do to eliminate this side effect where the stroke edges show up. Regardless of masking or paint brushing or even erasing, those ghost lines should not show up.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi,

I just had this issue of  irregular picture frame outline not hidden and finally found the solution staring me in the face....I assume it is what you are after.

With the picture frame selected, use the picture frame options in the top toolbar.  I was trying stroke options in the stroke panel previously and that did not seem to work before I found this. Just set to transparent, 0px outline and hey presto.  ( the stroke panel does seem to follow these setting so I wonder if there are insects lurking here?)

2 hours ago, Artworkzzz said:

I found this. Just set to transparent, 0px outline and hey presto. 

That sounds good! – What did you set to transparent, … the stroke colour in the Colours panel?

Could you upload a sample document with an embedded image that is affected from this 'edge issue' and your solution?

On 11/23/2023 at 2:37 PM, Artworkzzz said:

I made a frame with the pen tool, converted it to a picture frame, and pasted the image inside it.  There was the fine outline which I couldn't get rid of using the stroke panel.  When I tried the menu bar controls, it worked.  Bug maybe?

In V1 I don't get / can't reproduce the outline with your workflow. To me it needs a fill colour applied to the Picture Frame (with the button "Clear Fill on populate" deactivated) to make an outline occur, and then its width is a lot more subtle than in your screenshot.

However, your screenshot of the Context Toolbar shows the setting of a black stroke 0.1 pt, in this case I would expect a stroke to occur.