You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

How to apply transformations on multiple objects

On a project im working on, i am making a vector illustration of a Commodore 64 computer. I made the entire keyboard, but i forgot to bake in the rounded edges on the original template key i made, and not i am unable to scale it because the edges will go completely round if i scale down. is there a way that i can select the whole thing and apply the rounded edges? it would be a gratuities process to go through and apply this on each individual key.

image.png.d816d21189d80ff8c529b92d4577dc12.png

This is the keyboard at its full size

image.png.12c6a36d5fa51ce9ed5d28b253aeb0e3.pngThis is what happens when i scale it down.

Edit: I feel i should also specify that each individual key is a group and i am looking to apply the corner tool, and for future reference the outline tool ect ect, to the items within the group without having to ungroup everything.

Edited by narfwin

1 hour ago, G13RL said:

@narfwin,

Select all the keys, ungroup (right click on one of the layers in the layer panel). Take "Move Tool", activate "Transform Objects Separaly" (in the contextual bar). Then take "Corner Tool", select all the nodes, adjust one of them, the others will follow the movement.

is there no way to just mass bake in the corner tool without ungrouping?

@narfwin

I gave this answer because I thought you wanted to "catch up" after forgetting to bake the corners.
To bake the corners before changing the size of the design, select the set, take "Corner Tool" and click on "Bake Appearance" in the contextual bar.

1 hour ago, G13RL said:

@narfwin

I gave this answer because I thought you wanted to "catch up" after forgetting to bake the corners.
To bake the corners before changing the size of the design, select the set, take "Corner Tool" and click on "Bake Appearance" in the contextual bar.

yes, i know. But if i have a group of items, is there a way to bake appearance of all the items within without having to ungroup the whole thing and individually bake appearance of each component, throwing off all the layer organization i have already set up.

Hmm, afterwards on that initial made setup as is now, it's difficult to apply/alter it to all related at once. - If the initial design would have be done instead via Symbols for the keycups, that should now be overall easier to handle.

See therefor:

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

37 minutes ago, narfwin said:

yes, i know. But if i have a group of items, is there a way to bake appearance of all the items within without having to ungroup the whole thing and individually bake appearance of each component, throwing off all the layer organization i have already set up.

If I understand correctly... Yes.

Use the Move tool. With nothing initially selected, CMD drag around your whole design. This should select all the individual pieces regardless of being in groups or layers.
Then hit Convert to Curves OR switch to the corner tool and hit Bake.

1 hour ago, JimmyJack said:

Use the Move tool. With nothing initially selected, CMD drag around your whole design.

Thanks for the reminder! I keep forgetting that using CMD with a Move Tool drag selects all the individual objects.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

On 3/9/2022 at 1:48 PM, JimmyJack said:

If I understand correctly... Yes.

Use the Move tool. With nothing initially selected, CMD drag around your whole design. This should select all the individual pieces regardless of being in groups or layers.
Then hit Convert to Curves OR switch to the corner tool and hit Bake.

This is exactly what i was looking for, thank you so much!

On 3/9/2022 at 1:36 PM, v_kyr said:

Hmm, afterwards on that initial made setup as is now, it's difficult to apply/alter it to all related at once. - If the initial design would have be done instead via Symbols for the keycups, that should now be overall easier to handle.

See therefor:

I didn't know that affinity was capable of this. thank you for showing me this