You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

macOS Mojave 32 bit compatibility when updating from Affinity 1.9.3 to 1.1.x

Does Affinity 1.10.x retain 32 bit compatibility , as v. 1.9.3 does ?  The reason I choose to remain with macOS  10.11.14  MOJAVE  is 32 bit compatibility . I have manyolder Mac  apps that are 32 bit only , including the older free Nik Software bundle of plug-ins for Affinity Photo.

Will updating to the Affinity 1.10.x series from 1.9.3  affect my 32 bit usability, specifically the Nik plugins? ( I refuse to buy the DxO Nik bundle that costs 3 times as much as the software it plugs into .... )

Both 1.9 and 1.10 (in fact, all the Affinity applications since the beginning, as far as I know) have been 64-bit applications. So I'm not sure what you mean by "32-bit compatibility" in that context. It's MacOS that has the 32-bit compatibility, or not, I think.

Here's what the Affinity Store says for Designer; the other 2 apps are the same:

image.thumb.png.fab144e9dca5ddb05b622147f5602cbf.png

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Let me rephrase the question:

IF while using macOS Mojave , I upgrade my Affinity Photo 1.9.3 - currently using old Nik 1.2 plugins  - to Aff Photo v.1.10 X ... will those older  Nik plugins still work ?   Mojave was the last OS that still runs both 32 and 64 bit code.

I have never even heard if it is worth it to upgrade to 1.10 from Affinity photo 1.9.3 to get the promised speed and performance gains. I've seen arguments both way on that.

Sorry, no idea on that question. Why not install a 1.10 beta from the beta forum here and try them.

Or maybe someone else will know.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

7 hours ago, DWright said:

The Nik collection will work on 1.10 version of Affinity Photo as we have not changed how we link to the collection since the previous version 1.9

Followup questions:   when upgrading to AffPhoto 1.10.x  from v1.9.3 , is that a rolling update of existing Affinity codebase  1.9.3 ---> 1.10.x , or is it basically a clean install of 1.10 ?  Would it require reinstalling the Nik plugins all over again , or are they retained ?

32 bit plugin circular arguments aside, my MAJOR question about moving up to version 1.10  from my existing 1.9.3 on Mojave macOS is whether the promised speed and performances features actually do occur. (My Mac Mini 2012 runs an Intel i7 quad core SSD, with 16 Gb of RAM). I see posts from users who claim 1.10 didn't deliver the promised performance, and in fact graphic performance got slower, not faster. ( Intel Mac Mini's do not have a separate GPU and the video card has no dedicated memory, it robs  from the system  RAM ).

I'm quite OK with existing performance and version 1.9.3 on Mojave. Who can tell me with certainty that updating to 1.10 makes good on the performance promise on an Intel/Mojave system ?  I'm too old and financially famished to even think about moving up to all new Mac Silicon , and the DXO - Nik bundles are not affordable to me, either.

@Dewey,

Something to be cautious of is that Apple normally provides security updates for the current and two past major versions of MacOS.

With the introduction of macOS 12, this means that Mojave is no longer supported.

I am also on Mojave for my main computer at the moment, but as time goes on it will be more and more vulnerable to security threats while browsing the web, etc., as new issues are found and the fixes are only made available for newer versions of the operating system, so I know I can't keep it this way indefinitely.

If your Mac Mini is on the internet and you need to keep it that way, for the moment you are probably ok if you are careful, but as time goes on you might want to rethink sticking with that system, or pull it off the internet and use something else to do your web browsing and the like.