You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Perlin Noise Filter crashes Publisher

AlanH

Affinity Publisher 1.10.4.1198  on Windows 11 (for my sins)...

Select a plain coloured rectangle in a Master page in Publisher, then select Photo persona.

Immediate crash when Perlin Noise Filter selected.

Standalone Photo (same version/platform) does not crash with the same function.

Cheers,

Alan

1 hour ago, AlanH said:

Select a plain coloured rectangle in a Master page in Publisher, then select Photo persona.

Small point here. If the rectangle is made from a shape then it would need to be rasterized first. Still and all though, Publisher shouldn't crash just because there is no Pixel layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

10 hours ago, Old Bruce said:

Small point here. If the rectangle is made from a shape then it would need to be rasterized first. Still and all though, Publisher shouldn't crash just because there is no Pixel layer.

Why would an explizit rasterize be needed?

• The OP did not say if destructive or live filter is used. Live filter work on any layer type.
  • In case of destructive filter: There is an assistant option where you can choose to automatically raster shapes if filters get applied. Otherwise no filter effect, of course.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

1 hour ago, NotMyFault said:

The OP did not say if destructive or live filter is used. Live filter work on any layer type.

I'm struggling to find a Live Perlin Noise Filter!

The crash only seems to happen if you put the shape on a Master page that isn't applied to a normal page. eg If you have a single page document, with a facing page Master page, and put the shape on the left page, it crashes, if you put it on the right side (which is applied to the single page) it doesn't crash. If you add a second page, so that the Master page with the shape is applied to a normal page, it also doesn't crash. (I haven't tested this extensively, but it seems to be how it works!)

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

47 minutes ago, PaulEC said:

I'm struggling to find a Live Perlin Noise Filter!

Got me, didn’t noticed Perilin noise. It’s always a bit difficult for me to remember details only mentioned in the thread title, and not in the post itself.

Never the less, Perrin noise is available as live filter when using procedural texture filters. But it seems now clear that the OP was using the destructive filter. Auto-Rasterization may come to a limit in case of master pages.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

• Staff

Hi AlanH,

Thank you for your report I have logged this with our QA team to be fixed in a future update :) I will update this thread once I have more info for you.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

• 2 weeks later...