You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Re: Newbie frustration on use of Inpainting brush etc.,

Hi curiousgirl,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

You seem to have the Undo Brush Tool selected, not the Inpainting Brush Tool.

You have to click on the small arrow in the Healing Brush Tool button to access it. See the screenshot below. 

attachicon.gifinpainting_brush.jpg

Hi MEB,

That's so funny.... yesterday was my first try with Affinity Photo and there are so many more details than my previous editing software which was iphoto.  Sadly now defunct.

Thanks for the prompt help.  I look forward to exploring AP. It seems to a great piece of software.

Hello all, a positive update to say that after 5 days, I'm loving this inpainting tool.  Works a treat.

Its better if you zoom in to the area you wish to remove - as advised on video.  

And you have to remember to make sure the background layer is selected - again as advised on here.

And I've found getting the right size to the brush also makes a difference.

But I'm utterly amazed at how sophisticated it is and the kinds of backgrounds it can replicate when something is removed.  

Thanks for your support too.  :)

• 6 months later...

I am having serious issues. I have watched a couple tutorials and followed them to the letter. What the tutogerials shows does not happen when I do it. Yes I am a newbie to Affinity. However I have used Paint Shop Pro for many years, so I figured even this is much more advanced I could learn it pretty fast. But if it doesn't do what the tutorials show its going to get old fast. I do my inpainting tool brush exactly like the tutorial shows. I click on it, I right click on the part I want out of my image. it does not do the highlight red thing and it erases NOTHING! that is not what the tutorial shows. This feature is the main reason I bought Infinity as opposed to PSP!!!. HELP!!!! 

• Staff

Hi Danny Meazell,

Welcome to Affinity Forums :)

Make sure you have a (Pixel) layer selected in the layers panel an not a mask/adjustment or filter layer by mistake. If the layer you are working with is identified as an (Image) layer type - you can check this looking at the label between parenthesis after the layer's name in the Layers panel - right-click on it and select Rasterise... to convert it to a (Pixel) layer type. You can then use the Inpainting Brush Tool as described in the tutorials.

(Image) layers are considered objects, you can only transform them globally - rotate, scale, skew etc - but you can't change their content - the pixels. They retain all original image data. (Pixel) layers are simply containers for pixel operations, you can change/edit the pixels as you want. Note: when you convert from an image layer to a pixel image layer, Affinity uses the DPI set in the Document Setup to perform the rasterization.

Danny, do you have a pixel layer selected when you use the Inpainting Brush Tool? 

Also, I am not sure what you expect to happen if you right click with that tool selected. Just use a normal click & drag with it.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7