You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Is there any way to replicate "glazed" brush effect?

I just bought AP yesterday and I'm having lots of fun so far.

But I have encountered a problem when creating my own brushes from scratch.  I can't find a way to make my brush non-overlapping itself when using the tablet pressure for flow control...

I know it makes little sense said that way ha,ha... but I have attached a picture to explain it better.  Any idea? Is this possible in AP?

Thanks!

post-7300-0-28711700-1449252018_thumb.jpg

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

Follow us on Instagram  |  Follow us on Twitter |  Like us on Facebook

I don't use a tablet right now, so I can't say if this applies to your need, but..

If you brush in one stroke it won't overlap. If you use several strokes it builds up colour.

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Hi Madame!

Both examples are made with just one stroke. I've been a couple of hours trying to figure this out... but I think it is not possible to reproduce the clean build up effect. 

• Frankentoon Studio - Tutorials and Resources for Designer, Photo and Publisher

I might be wrong but it looks to me like the opacity is set differently on the Photoshop brush than it is on the Affinity brush.

Hi, jmac!

Nope, they both share equivalent settings. I think this feature unfortunately doesn't exists in AP yet :(

Hi, jmac!

Nope, they both share equivalent settings. I think this feature unfortunately doesn't exists in AP yet :(

You can change the opacity here:

post-14034-0-20716100-1449310896_thumb.jpg

- Affinity Photo 2.3.0
- Affinity Designer 2.3.0
-Affinity Publisher 2.3.0

MacBook Pro 16 GB
MacOS Sonoma 14.1.2

Madame: I think this dosn´t do the trick, does it?

Maybe you can send Paolo Limoncelli a kind message with a link to this thread

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/user/2042-paololimoncelli/

I hope he´s fine with it - I´ve given this advice once and he´s certainly not paid for spreading his knowledge but definitely has a passion for design and painting techniques so chances are that he answers this as well :)

These nice DAUB brushes are made by him ;)

• 1 month later...

I just bought AP yesterday and I'm having lots of fun so far.

But I have encountered a problem when creating my own brushes from scratch.  I can't find a way to make my brush non-overlapping itself when using the tablet pressure for flow control...

I know it makes little sense said that way ha,ha... but I have attached a picture to explain it better.  Any idea? Is this possible in AP?

Thanks!

Not yet. 

Will be possible when Opacity Jitter comes out.

In the mean time you can try these workarounds

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/11067-digital-painting-brush-opacity-pressure/?p=67292

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/topic/11067-digital-painting-brush-opacity-pressure/?p=68992

The white dog, making tools for artists, illustrators and doodlers