You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

locate missing fonts?

Based on that name I do not think there is any way for the app to find that font.

The font name is very odd.
I am not aware of any version of Open Sans which is named like this.
OpenSansRoman-SemiBold looks like what happens when a variable font's stat table is messed-up.
Or it could be the app used to create the doc messed-up the font embedding.

Is this from a document you created?
Do you have a font named like this installed?
Do you have a variable version of Open Sans installed?
There are some work-in-progress tests/demos which are available.

Is this from a document you are importing such as a PDF?
Can you attach the doc?

3 hours ago, abra100pro said:

I got this funny dialog - it smiled towards me in a quite a vicious way, as if it would want to say to me: "Ha, there is a font missing - but I won't show you, where it is in the doc - go find it yourself".

No, Designer does not have Find/Replace, nor the Font Manager, nor Preflight. All those would let you do it, but all are newer functoions only available in Publisher.

If you get that message when Opening a PDF, you have the opportunity to substitute a different font, but other than that I think you'll need to use some other application to find the text that uses the font.

Edit: Or you'll need to manually put the text cursor into the text and see what font is shown in the Context Toolbar.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

4 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

The odd font name is applied to the "Free trial" text on the Smartphone page.

And lots of other places in that document, too, when I looked at it.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

2 minutes ago, walt.farrell said:

And lots of other places in that document, too, when I looked at it.

Where else do you see it?

On the Desktop page I do see blocks of text with no font style applied.
Like what we see when some PDFs are imported.
The font family name is there, but the font style is blank.

4 minutes ago, LibreTraining said:

Where else do you see it?

On the Desktop page I do see blocks of text with no font style applied.
Like what we see when some PDFs are imported.
The font family name is there, but the font style is blank.

That's exactly what I mean - two experts and my humble self are supposed to check all text instances in a document in order to find the missing font text - not really, no?

My issue in this topic is not where the problem in my doc lies - it is about AD showing me a missing font but not locating it - that is really unpleasant.

4 minutes ago, abra100pro said:

That's exactly what I mean - two experts and my humble self are supposed to check all text instances in a document in order to find the missing font text - not really, no?

My issue in this topic is not where the problem in my doc lies - it is about AD showing me a missing font but not locating it - that is really unpleasant.

Yes, this should not happen.

But, I did open the doc in APub and using the Font Manager was able to locate the text.
So that would be the work-around.

Walt knows a lot more than I do and he may have other options.

1 hour ago, LibreTraining said:

But, I did open the doc in APub and using the Font Manager was able to locate the text.

That's the best one.

But in Designer, whatever text frame I double-clicked into, the Context Toolbar showed the missing Open Sans font.

-- Walt
PC:

If, as asked in a feature request, there was a "missing font highlight option", AP, AD and APub would help finding and replacing them, and we could avoid exporting files with Arial by error...

At least in QXD, the default replacement font was Courrier New, one barely used, so it was visually easy to spot without highlight.