You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Help with this Portrait ?

11 hours ago, R C-R said:

I don't know of any built-in hair brush in AP so it might help if you explained which category it is in & its name. Also, there are 60 or so brushes in the brushlovers.com/ download, so which one(s) of those did you try?

I am talking about this one here.

Brushes.jpg

7 minutes ago, augustya said:

We are humble Mouse People !

You can get even precise strokes if you use the stabilise feature...
image.png.52113bd120daa8fe744e419a5252f55f.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

10 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

You can get even precise strokes if you use the stabilise feature...
image.png.52113bd120daa8fe744e419a5252f55f.png

But my problem is, in the Primitive stage, in the first stage, I cant even generate those Hair Brush strokes when I select the Brush and try to Paint over the desired area, I see nothing happening !

After a bit of playing about and trying several methods, one of the easiest and most natural looking methods was to use the smudge tool, this has a few advantages, you get a gradient effect to the hair follicles, the hair follicles are nicely faded, the colouration is close to the area you are working on and you get a nice layering effect giving a bit of depth.

image.png.f47f9f10bc1dae9639e66c68461c71b9.png

The settings I used were...
image.png.25afa656ff2739ac71a14ae6cbbc5729.png

...this gives a nice feather effect and I used the mouse not a tablet or a pen.

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

9 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

After a bit of playing about and trying several methods, one of the easiest and most natural looking methods was to use the smudge tool, this has a few advantages, you get a gradient effect to the hair follicles, the hair follicles are nicely faded, the colouration is close to the area you are working on and you get a nice layering effect giving a bit of depth.

image.png.f47f9f10bc1dae9639e66c68461c71b9.png

The settings I used were...
image.png.25afa656ff2739ac71a14ae6cbbc5729.png

...this gives a nice feather effect and I used the mouse not a tablet or a pen.

So Just select the Smudge Brush Tool, and Paint over the desired Target Area ?

25 minutes ago, augustya said:

So Just select the Smudge Brush Tool, and Paint over the desired Target Area ?

Just made a bit a video will upload when it's exported for you.

@augustya

Video deleted

23 minutes ago, firstdefence said:

@augustya

Well Thanks for the Video Explanation, though I am not sure I would have agreed to use the Photo on YouTube for explanation, If you can please delete it. I know it is Blured but still I am not Ok someone using it on YouTube. A short Personal Video is fine but not on YouTube please !

And what happens the white/blue area that was created by using the Eraser Tool ? 

7 minutes ago, augustya said:

Well Thanks for the Video Explanation, though I am not sure I would have agreed to use the Photo on YouTube for explanation, If you can please delete it. I know it is Blured but still I am not Ok someone using it on YouTube. A short Personal Video is fine but not on YouTube please !

And what happens the white/blue area that was created by using the Eraser Tool ? 

Deleted, as long as you got the idea of how to use the smudge tool, yes?

9 minutes ago, augustya said:

That was just a demo of how the smudge tool reacts when there is no background, only transparency. 

1 minute ago, firstdefence said:

That was just a demo of how the smudge tool reacts when there is no background, only transparency. 

So in this particular case when there is already a Fill Layer, in such a scenario using that Eraser Tool is not required right ?

Just now, augustya said:

So in this particular case when there is already a Fill Layer, in such a scenario using that Eraser Tool is not required right ?

Correct

8 hours ago, augustya said:

I am talking about this one here.

What you are showing is the Acrylics brush category. (The word "Acrylics" is partially covered by the red arrow you drew on the screenshot.) That builtin brush category does not include any 'hair' brushes.

The Acrylic brushes are intended to mimic painting with acrylic paints, so they would not generally be good choices for trying to paint in strands of hair.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

23 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What you are showing is the Acrylics brush category. (The word "Acrylics" is partially covered by the red arrow you drew on the screenshot.) That builtin brush category does not include any 'hair' brushes.

The Acrylic brushes are intended to mimic painting with acrylic paints, so they would not generally be good choices for trying to paint in strands of hair.

There are others aswell in that, it is a drop down !

3 minutes ago, augustya said:

There are others aswell in that, it is a drop down !

If you mean other brush categories in the dropdown menu in the Brushes panel, that appears when you click on "Acrylics," then yes, there are other builtin brush categories available, each with several brushes in them, but none of them are very well suited to drawing in strands of hair, particularly if you are using a mouse.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

11 minutes ago, augustya said:

Yes that is what I meant.

What I was asking about is if in any of those categories you have any brushes specifically intended for creating strands of hair.

Affinity Photo 

9 minutes ago, R C-R said:

What I was asking about is if in any of those categories you have any brushes specifically intended for creating strands of hair.

I don't know ! I am also exploring. As some other guys here pointed above they did use it.

4 minutes ago, augustya said:

I don't know ! I am also exploring. As some other guys here pointed above they did use it.

Use what? One of the built-in brushes or one that they downloaded from somewhere, perhaps as a Photoshop .abr file that AP can use?

For things like this, it really helps if you can be as clear as you can about what you are seeing, using, etc.

Affinity Photo 

Just now, R C-R said:

Use what? One of the built-in brushes or one that they downloaded from somewhere, perhaps as a Photoshop .abr file that AP can use?

For things like this, it really helps if you can be as clear as you can about what you are seeing, using, etc.

Yes inbuilt ones.

13 hours ago, augustya said:

Yes inbuilt ones.

There aren't any inbuilt hair brushes in Affinity photo (unless you use a small dot brush and start painting in single hairs). Try to import a brush set like the one I've mentioned in one of my previous posts. Select one of the brushes from that imported category and paint in hair with them.

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

On 11/28/2021 at 2:43 PM, Andy05 said:

There aren't any inbuilt hair brushes in Affinity photo (unless you use a small dot brush and start painting in single hairs). Try to import a brush set like the one I've mentioned in one of my previous posts. Select one of the brushes from that imported category and paint in hair with them.

Ok, So what you are saying is there are no inbuilt Brushes which come in Affinity Photo ? I dont quite remember how in the Brush Panel in my APP the Brush is showing so many Brushes? I do not remember if I imported before, I certainly imported the One's which you linked above in one your Posts here.