You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

HSL adj hue target range selection not working

Affinity Photo 1.10.4.1198 on Windows 10 21H1

HSL adjustment layer has a hue wheel where I should be able to target a specific hue, the 4 dots on the wheel can be moved, but moving them has no effect.

I have a screen captured video to demonstrate, please see attached

(if you are wondering why I am using HSL adjustment and not defringe, this particular edge can't be removed with defringe for some reason, I tried)

• Staff

Hi Frank26080115,

I can't seem to recreate this issue here at my end. If you create a new file does this issue still occur or does this happen with all files?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

In your screen video, I never saw if you used the Picker in the HSL Adjustment. You need to use it to select a target. When you select your target Hue, you'll see the dots on the wheel move to the shades of the hue you've selected. Otherwise, it just uses the global hues/colors.

I know you selected the red color dot/well in the HSL, but to narrow it more, using the Picker works better.

Affinity Photo 2.4..; Affinity Designer 2.4..; Affinity Publisher 2.4..; Affinity2 Beta versions. Affinity Photo,Designer 1.10.6.1605 Win10 Home Version:21H2, Build: 19044.1766: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-5820K CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3301 Mhz, 6 Core(s), 12 Logical Processor(s);32GB Ram, Nvidia GTX 3070, 3-Internal HDD (1 Crucial MX5000 1TB, 1-Crucial MX5000 500GB, 1-WD 1 TB), 4 External HDD

7 hours ago, frank26080115 said:

This bug happened again with another file. And it also stopped happening when I closed Affinity Photo and re-opened the file.

Have fun with this ticket.

It would help if you could upload one of the files where the issue happens. 

And screenshot of Edit>Preferences>Performance.

There are too many variables like color model, color depth, OpenCL, View Quality etc which might be relevant to reproduce. If nobody else can reproduce the issue, nobody can help.

Please provide as much relevant information as possible.

I posted bug reports where certain combinations of filter lead to issues on alpha channel, and rendering issues. You case might be related. 

And please allow me a question: what is your intend reporting this error:

• getting a workaround? 
  • Getting the issue fixed, even if workarounds are available?
  • others?

If you really want this issue to be fixed, we might need more support from your side to make it reproducible.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Ok sorry that probably sounded like I'm being a difficult jerk but I do want this fixed (well... I want a better defringing workflow) and in my head, I am 99% sure that just uploading a file isn't going to help and probably waste time leading somebody down the wrong direction.

I just got a 50MP camera (I'm noting this because I'm seeing a correlation between performance hit and the occurrence of this bug) and I'm seeing this repeatedly and once I figure out the common pattern between these incidents I'll report with something actually useful.

The last clue I got was that it doesn't matter if the image was originally from a ARW, DNG, or TIFF (I'm working with a wild mix of Luminar, DxO, and Topaz), or a previously saved afphoto. So far the best clue seems to be "I've made Affinity do something very cycle intensive", and the best way to make Affinity sweat is multiple layers of defringing. But I can't be sure how to reproduce the exact steps because it never happens with a clean fresh start. I can do a fresh start and just load many many many other large files but that doesn't make it happen either.

At this point I need either always-on screen recording or test automation software to generate random edits for hours.

Do i understand you correctly?

• You want this fixed
  • you are the only one able to observe the issue
  • one moderator and 2 forum user were unable to reproduce despite some effort
  • you do not want to answer request for additional information and data which might help to get the issue reproduced
  • you understand that being able to reproduce the issue is an essential precondition to fix the issue 

If this all is true, It is not very likely that anybody will waste his personal time to investigate deeper.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

Yea I don't expect the general public to do anything here, it's not an open source product.

And for QA/developers employed by Serif, they should keep this bug in their head and maybe hopefully some other problem later on correlates and it gets fixed by sheer luck.

If they are working on it, they are not expected to notify me... Usually these kind of people keep a tight lip about upcoming fixes just in case they can't actually figure it out.

If I encounter it again I will try to replicate the entire history.

• 4 months later...

Hello everybody,

I am new to this forum but I am using Affinity Photo on an irregular basis. I love the product and even if I am not a (semi-)professional I really use the HSL feature a lot. I was looking for a bug report when I came by because I can repeateadly reproduce the issue frank26080115 mentions. His video shows exactly what I am encountering, too.

When I use the HSL layer, I used to select one of the color dots to narrow the color range down first. Then I would decrease the saturation to 0 % and drag the four dots on the wheel until I think the correct color (gray tone) is selected. Then I would increase the saturation back to 100 % and change the color using the hue slider. So for my workflow it should not matter with which color I start, since I change the position of the four dots on the color wheel.

I am running Affinity Photo on Windows 10 Pro 21H1 (x64) with a current patch level.

I encountered the issue the first time with Affinity Photo 1.10.4 but recently updated to 1.10.5.1342 and nothing changed.

I can reproduce the issue with the following steps:

1. Start Affinity Photo.
  2. Go to "File" --> "New...".
  3. Create a new file with the following properties:
    174947826_NewFile.png.f28e09bb80c1609c987d9c2abaf1d263.png
  4. Place a new image (from file) by going to "File" --> "Place..." on the background.
  5. Add a HSL layer. The work area should look like this:
    619142057_WorkareawithHSL.png.00d2c61d10ebde6e52c64f997c537f93.png
  6. Now open the HSL tool (not sure how to call it correctly) and pick one of the six predefined colors. Since I want to change the red and yellow colors I pick the red dot. Now I decrease the saturation to 0 %. First of all, it seems everythings works fine:
    679288569_WorkareawithHSLDecreasedSaturation.png.77036715653d74d2894815803e6ac145.png
  7. Now drag the four color dots to another color like blue. The expected behaviour would be that the red colors get saturated again and the blue colors get gray. Since there are no blue colors in the picture the picture should look like the original again. But what is happing actually is, that the red colors are still unsaturated and although the outer ring of the color wheels shows gray "blue" colors nothing has happend in the picture:
    304482357_WorkareawithHSLDecreasedSaturationIssue.png.14fbcdcd58f34b5044a33411182d5979.png

My pictures should show the same behaviour as the video above. It does not change anything if you try to use the "Pipette" instead of draging the four dots.

I cannot tell since when the issue is part of Affinty Photo since normally I just open a picture ("File" --> "Open") and apply the HSL layer. This way the wheel behaves as expected. So, when I open the image I used for this demonstration straight away and do not place it on a newly created file everything is fine.

Feel free to ask me for more information. I hope my findings provide some information on how to deal with this issue and find a solution to it for me, as well.

Hi,

thank you for reporting the issue,

looks like you are using RGB/32.

This bug has been already reported and logged 

Thank you very much for this tip.

I can confirm that the problem immediately resolved as soon as I changed the color format of the new file to something other than RGB/32 (HDR).

So now we know that the bug not only occurs on macOS, but on Windows as well.