You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Designer Crashing A Lot Since iOS 15.0.2 Update?

Anyone else experiencing this?

It's just crashed on me 3 or 4 times this afternoon - luckily I didn't lose too much work. Haven't noticed any problems with this until the recent update.

I still haven't figured out how this app saves my work. Sometimes it offers me to save it - and sometimes it saves it, sometimes not. I save it as a new file, but then it still shows up as the previous title in the main interface on Designer. Other times Ican only "Save a copy" I can't figure this out at all and I need a system whereby I can be sure I'm not suddenly going to lose a load of work! What's wrong with plain and simple, easy to understand Save and Save As?

iPad 9th Gen user

So that was a total of 8 times today. In the end I was saving every 2 minutes to get what I wanted finished. Will pull out my XP-Pen drawing tablet and use this tomorrow until I can get to the bottom of why the app keeps crashing. 

I have a lot of layers in this design I'm working on - but it was also happening a lot on simpler files I was creating to add new content to the main design. Still shouldn't be do this though.

• Staff

Hi Awakenedbyowls,
Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you tell me which version of the app you are using and if possible provide a screen recording demonstrating the crash.

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

6 minutes ago, Callum said:

Hi Awakenedbyowls,
Welcome to the forums :)

Please could you tell me which version of the app you are using and if possible provide a screen recording demonstrating the crash.

Thanks
C

How can I screenshot a crash when I don't know when it's going to crash? I've noticed the layers panel becoming unresponsive just before it vanishes off the screen, the icons don't show up. I'm not sure if it's exclusively occurring then and that's something to do with what's causing it.

I'm using version 1.10.2

• Staff
3 minutes ago, awakenedbyowls said:

How can I screenshot a crash when I don't know when it's going to crash? I've noticed the layers panel becoming unresponsive just before it vanishes off the screen, the icons don't show up. I'm not sure if it's exclusively occurring then and that's something to do with what's causing it.

I'm using version 1.10.2

This is why I said if possible, without a screen recording or steps to reproduce this issue it will be difficult to investigate. If you save any files you currently have open in the app and then try reinstalling it does this issue persist?

Thanks
C

Please tag me using @ in your reply so I can be sure to respond ASAP.

1 minute ago, Callum said:

This is why I said if possible, without a screen recording or steps to reproduce this issue it will be difficult to investigate. If you save any files you currently have open in the app and then try reinstalling it does this issue persist?

Thanks
C

I don't know if there is a way to record my progress while I work on the iPad, if it starts doing it again today. I can maybe set up my phone to record a video and wait - this is a whole new set of skills I need to learn in order to do that.

I'll restart the device and see how things go. Then reinstall the app if it persists and see how that goes and get back to you.

So it crashed twice today. This time I managed to record it - but there's nothing to see really. I seems to become irresponsive then just disappears. I did this just then so I turned on record and filmed a few seconds of it, but as I say there's nothing to see really so no point in uploading it. 

Going to try reinstalling the app.

I am having this same issue iPad Pro 2018 OS 15.02 Affinity Designer 1.10.2 (i tried on my iPad mini OS 15.02 -AD 10.1.2 ) and it did the same thing eventually.

For me it occurs when I am dragging an object up or down in my layers studio. Much like this last user mentions the app just disappears and does not save any of my last iterations. This did not occur until this last update. I don’t have a video but I have seen it enough times that I have narrowed it down to moving objects within the layer studio. (ie. Tap hold and drag a curve or object up or down in the layers studio and this is when it will intermittently crash on me).thank you for looking into this. 

4 hours ago, Graphicdesignz5 said:

I am having this same issue iPad Pro 2018 OS 15.02 Affinity Designer 1.10.2 (i tried on my iPad mini OS 15.02 -AD 10.1.2 ) and it did the same thing eventually.

For me it occurs when I am dragging an object up or down in my layers studio. Much like this last user mentions the app just disappears and does not save any of my last iterations. This did not occur until this last update. I don’t have a video but I have seen it enough times that I have narrowed it down to moving objects within the layer studio. (ie. Tap hold and drag a curve or object up or down in the layers studio and this is when it will intermittently crash on me).thank you for looking into this. 

1 hour ago, Studiob said:

I have the same issue since I have updated to the latest version of the app. It happen when I just tap the layer then the app disappears and does not save anything. I used the app for almost a year but this just happened with the update. Please help

This is exactly my experience! It freezes and crashes while moving objects within the layers panel.

I hope the developers can fix this soon, otherwise I just forked out for an iPad and now can't use it for the main purpose I bought it for.

Funny, I remember years ago iOS updates on my old MacBook used to create problems rather than solve them - right from the start as well. Windows updates rarely seem to create issues OTOH. I'm going to complain to Apple and consider claiming a refund under consumer rights if this persists. Apple suck! Get an Android version. 

My designer on ipad pro 4th gen is crashing all the time,its always in the area of the layers studio, either touching a layer to dosomething on, or opening the drop down list to be able to lock a layer or anything in these areas is causing the crash.

it happends nearly all the time, its the only thing i have to work with .

Is there any answers as to why ipad designer crashes? All i see is all of us saying what is going on but no corective action given out.

please advise

To follow 0n i have tried all the usual, deleted the app, downloaded three times now, shut down everything then turned off ipad waited, still no change, its getting anoying, i may have to look around if this keeps going on.

i have all your software andvall your books, so i have paid out a lot for your programmes.

i would like an answer, not just reading compliants

17 minutes ago, Tony33 said:

To follow 0n i have tried all the usual, deleted the app, downloaded three times now, shut down everything then turned off ipad waited, still no change, its getting anoying, i may have to look around if this keeps going on.

i have all your software andvall your books, so i have paid out a lot for your programmes.

i would like an answer, not just reading compliants

I hear you. I've spent a lot of time familiarising myself with this software on both Windows and iPad and I really like it. I'm currently working on a massive project with it which is taking ages but coming together really nicely. 

But there was one other Abode competitor out there that I was looking into investing in until I saw Affinity and thought - that looks both really good and really cheap. 

I don't really want to have to fork out more money and refamiliarise myself new software.

I hope the developers can sort this out quickly. Maybe it's Apple's fault. Maybe Apple have done this on purpose because Affinity are competing with the Adobe suite? 

1 minute ago, Tony33 said:

Just to let you know the photo app is doing the same, as i thought i might be able to do some of my work on the photo app, but no nothing sorts it out?

am getting frustrated now

I was getting round this last night by saving every couple of minutes (and then checking it was saved)

I think the app autosaves work, but not sure how often. Is there a way to set this to autosave every minute or so - while this is getting fixed?

• Staff

I don't have an ETA for a fix yet but the developers are on it. Our QA team have found a potential workaround:

It looks like the thumbnail for the layer isn't being drawn after it's been scrolled in the Layers Panel. If you try to move or lock/unlock that layer it will crash. However, drawing something on the screen (or enabling 'Show unlocked') will redraw the thumbnails and prevent the crash, until the thumbnail disappears again.

Hope that helps.

It looks like the thumbnail for the layer isn't being drawn after it's been scrolled in the Layers Panel. If you try to move or lock/unlock that layer it will crash. However, drawing something on the screen (or enabling 'Show unlocked') will redraw the thumbnails and prevent the crash, until the thumbnail disappears again.

"..until the thumbnail APPEARS again" you mean I think?

Sounds like a useful workaround until this is resolved anyway maybe, cheers. Will have a look later.