You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

After straighten image canvas resize and image are at rotated at different angle

Hello all,

I just bought Affinity Photo, so this may be my lack of understanding.

I edited a Nikon NEF file, straighten the image, and made various layer edits to it.  I wanted to add a white border, so I resized the canvas by a few hundred pixels.  But the image rotated inside the canvas counterclockwise by a few degrees, and top part of the image got truncated by the top edge of the canvas.

I have attached the clips of the 4 edges for reference.

What am I doing wrong.

af_top.png

af_right.png

af_bottom.png

af_left.png

Hi aamitab!

Are you sure that the image is rotated? Could it be that only the Preview of the document is rotated? Go to the "View" menu and click on "Reset Rotation" (or so), then you will see.

The Preview of the document can be rotated by holding Alt and scrolling the scrollwheel. Maybe you did it accidentially?

No, loos like single image layer is rotated.  Rotate canvas would rotate everything.

I think adding border area just revealed that image layer has tilted edges (=is rotated). As AP is nondestructive cropping canvas and after that adding area to canvas just reveals what was cropped earlier.

There are several possible reasons for this, and all are quite easy to correct:

• Layers can be moved, rotated, stretched etc with help of the Move Tool. After selecting the Move Tool, Use the Transform panel to inspect the values, and correct the value of rotation "R:" to 0 if required. As this is a non-desctructive operation, it can be corrected any time later.
    image.png.fa41787903c426f0dd24f93d903cf68b.png
  • If you have used the Develop Persona, and "Rotation" from the Lens Correction Panel, a rotation of 0 will be shown. Never the less, you can simply rotate using the move tool again. Or you can re-enter the Develop Persona and rotate in the opposite direction.

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

4 hours ago, aamitabh said:

straighten the image, and made various layer edits to it.  I wanted to add a white border, so I resized the canvas by a few hundred pixels.  But the image rotated inside the canvas counterclockwise by a few degrees,

Was the straightened image rotated by the same number of degrees as the image with the boarder?

I don't know how you straightened the image but I'll wager that what you are seeing is the original image's bits that were cut off by the canvas. Rasterize and Trim before doing the Expand Canvas and you should be fine.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Too blind to see.

• If you strengthen an image, it gets rotated.
  • You may have adjusted the size (Lens correction), or reduced the cropped size to remove the transparent edge pixels.
  • when you increased the canvas size, the formerly hidden edge pixels are getting visible again.
  • To get rid of unwanted edge pixels, you have 2 options
  1. Destructive:
    1. Crop again that no transparent edge is visible
    2. Rasterize and trim
  2. Non-Destructive 
    1. Create a rectangular shape, fill white
    2. duplicate it
    3. reduce size of lower rectangle by intended size of border
    4. Layer>Geometry>Subtract 
    5. Now you have a white border that covers the unwanted area
  3. instead of subtracting, you may use a compound object. This allows to resize at any time. Unfortunately the menu to create a compound is difficult to reach. On windows, press AltGr modifier while choosing “subtract”

Mac mini M1 A2348 | Windows 10 - AMD Ryzen 9 5900x - 32 GB RAM - Nvidia GTX 1080

LG34WK950U-W, calibrated to DCI-P3 with LG Calibration Studio / Spider 5

iPad Air Gen 5 (2022) A2589

Special interest into procedural texture filter, edit alpha channel, RGB/16 and RGB/32 color formats, stacking, finding root causes for misbehaving files, finding creative solutions for unsolvable tasks, finding bugs in Apps.

OP said:

8 hours ago, aamitabh said:

I edited a Nikon NEF file, straighten the image

Thus, image was rotated to get horizon level. Tilted image borders are revealed when canvas is expanded.

Either rasterize after straightening, or cover edges with white (if you really need the white border), or cut the extra area.

11 hours ago, Fixx said:

No, loos like single image layer is rotated.  Rotate canvas would rotate everything.

I think adding border area just revealed that image layer has tilted edges (=is rotated). As AP is nondestructive cropping canvas and after that adding area to canvas just reveals what was cropped earlier.

That's correct.

Wow, very responsive group. Much appreciated.  let me absorb all you guys have mentioned and try it.  But essentially, after I imported the raw, made basic exposure adjustments and then after going into develop persona, I used the crop tool to straighten the image, and trimmed the image to remove the newel exposed transparent images. 

Cheers.

Edited by aamitabh

2 minutes ago, aamitabh said:

cropped the image to remove the newel exposed transparent images. 

There is no Destructive crop happening. Those transparent parts are still there.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Okay, after reading you material and watching a few more clipping mask videos, I finally got it.  What I did on the current image, rather than starting completely afresh.

1. Grouped all the layers into one
  2. While still cropped I added a rectangle to cover the whole image.
  3. Resized the canvas to show more of the area, enough to get the border
  4. Then made the rectangle as a clipping mask for the group.  That did it.
  5. I just then added another rectangle the size of the canvas.  Dragged it to be the bottom layer, and filled it with the border color I wanted.

And viola.  It worked.  Many many thanks for guiding me in the right direction.