You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

File Export from .afdesigner as .png or .jpg getting poor result (not sharp)

Hi there,

I tried many times to export Affinity Designer documents as JPG or PNG files and always get very poor results every time I change the document size before or within export procedure, every way I try produces very blurry files. This effect is reproducable on my macbook, using the latest version of Affinitydesigner (1.10.1) and OS Version 10.14.6.

Additionally did I try different document sizes and resolutions and I tried to execute the export via AffinityDesigner and AffinityPhoto, always getting the same poor result.

Enclosed please find the original file, which I need to export into 175 x 87,5 px and please also find one of my results.

I am looking forward to receive help, because this is really wasting time and effort on my side.

kind greetings,

Holger

2021-09_Logo_dfB_final-200x100.png

2021-09_Logo_dfB_final.afdesign

P.S.

... the smaller image version is supposed to be used for digital purpose.

- I tried different document settings with mm and px as well, without any other result.

- different document sizes in order to prevent resizing within export didn´t provide a better result.

- increasing the number of pixels with smaller document size didn´t change anything as well.

@Holger S. Welcome to the Affinity forums...

3 hours ago, Holger S. said:

the smaller image version is supposed to be used for digital purpose.

If the intention is to use the logo as part of a website then ideally use an svg file but if using a jpg or png your best bet is probably to make either a @2x or @3x version and scale using css...

https://www.theartisticaardvark.co.uk/

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi Hangman, thank you for your response.

The image is unfortunately not supposed to be used in context of HTML, it supposed to be used as image without any option to be resized where it is used and it should at the same time be as small as possible. do you have any other idea? - one example: to be enclosed in eMail footer.

Do you have any other idea?

4 hours ago, Holger S. said:

...which I need to export into 175 x 87,5 px ...

37 minutes ago, Holger S. said:

...it should at the same time be as small as possible. ...

You can't have 87 and a half pixel for a dimension. It can be 87 or 88 pixels. So 176 x 88 or 174 x 87 would be best.

This is a perfect example of designing for the smallest size and scaling up. That size means you have to choose the typeface carefully, there will be only 7 or 8 pixels of height for the line of text at the bottom. I can't read that. 

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

12 minutes ago, Holger S. said:

Even 200 x 100 didn´t work out. thanks for teh advice regardign the smal typaface, I´ll check that. Deside that, the dots are unfortunately not working as well.

At the size you want your logo your dots end up being approximately 5px in diameter, they are not whole pixels sizes (4.8123 px x 5.0113 px) and neither are they pixel aligned which means the antialiasing makes the png or jpg look increasingly blurry so as @Old Bruce says if thie logo is primarily for digital use then consideration needs to be given to these things along with legibility at such a small size and most likely needs to be simplified to be effective.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

You can see the result before exporting, using Pixel view mode, but the document must be in export size.

You can also use the Preview option though I'm not convinced it's totally accurate... For me this feature is missing the ability to show say 2 Up or 4 Up so you can compare different compression settings side by side...

Preview.thumb.jpg.f36d6a37a1026ab8fe6b3ad28238b2fc.jpg