You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

"Untitled" - A Suggestion

Often I create files or modifications of files to be used in the design process, but, I don't really plan on saving them long term.

In doing so, I, like many others likely, create temporary files all named "Untitled".  Next thing I know I've got several files ALL named "Untitled".  Now, one thing I can do is tap the top or the bottom file several times.  Because they recycle, the top or the bottom file will move ahead to the next in the list.  Eventually I can find the file I'm looking for.  But, then I have to figure out where I was.  Back to the same process.

I'm using a Mac.  And on it, I've got a program named Acorn (for graphics editing - bitmap).  And, whenever I create a new file, it's sequentially named:  Untitled, Untitled 1, Untitled 2, Untitled 3 and so on.  So, even if I build up a collection, it's easier to sort out one "Untitled" file from the next.

Would it be possible to implement something comparable in the Affinity Lines (Designer, Publisher, Photo)?

Pretty sure it would come in handy.

I assume it must be different on a Mac, but on Windows you can't have several files with the same name (unless they are in different folders). When you save a file it's very quick and easy to simply add a number after the name ("untitled" or whatever). Personally I prefer to actually name my files and, if I want several versions of it, give them sequential numbers.

It might be helpful if, when you try to save a file with the same name, the new file automatically had a number added to it (as happens if you download files with the same name,) but I'm not sure if this is something that can be built into individual apps, rather than being a function of the operating system.

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

"temporary files all named "Untitled" - not intended to be saved.  "Temporary" storage.  When you open a new file, it's name is untitled.  If you copy it and, on a Mac, create a new file from clipboard, since by default it's new and "unsaved", it's title is Untitled.

Maybe this will help:

image.png.cd2147e050f73b2485ba85ee69fbcd2a.png

All those <Untitled> files are just temporary files UNTIL they're saved.

As I said, it's different on a Mac to Windows. I can see that this must get a bit confusing!

Acer XC-895 : Core i5-10400 Hexa-core 2.90 GHz :  32GB RAM : Intel UHD Graphics 630 : Windows 10 Home
Affinity Publisher 2 : Affinity Photo 2 : Affinity Designer 2 : (latest release versions) on desktop and iPad

This feature would be useful for files and duplicated objects. Some apps seem to check existing names or remember last created files' name, and will automatically append the next number...

It would also be useful when opening embedded documents too, our memory remembering more easily embedded-2 as the spine, than searching if we opened the spine in second or if the fifth tab...

Here's an example from Acorn graphics editing software:

image.thumb.png.bfebe90e3878d4a54d1938f6706fae94.png

The original is on the left.  The "Untitled"'s are to the right.  There's also an option for "Merging" Windows, although I think it just merges all windows into one rather than preserving layers or allowing for selective merging of windows.

Each "Untitled" is numbered.  Affinity does a down view (much nicer by the way) than just this horizontal view.  But still, as shown "<Untitled>" as far as the eye can see.  

This is just to show that it can be done, is being done.  Now whether or not Affinity sees it the same way, or, as is prerogative, a different, equally worthwhile, useful, versatile way of doing it, time, cost, demand, all that stuff, remains to be seen.

The Affinity applications are in the (tiny) minority on my Mac, I will get an Untitled then an Untitled 2, Untitled 3 and so on sequentially numbered. These are unsaved documents. Paid and free applications. Apple and third party companies.

EDIT: Just to be clear, all three Affinity applications give me Untitled, Untitled and Untitled on and on with no numbers appended.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.