You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

A copy of an embedded PDF object is automatically linked?

Hello all,

I'm quite new to Affinity, loving its easy workflow, but struggle with automatically linked objects. I have a vector pdf design (a carpet print to use as a texture in 3d CAD) which I want to change in different variations. 

When I place/drag it in Designer, its embedded and that's, lets say, option 1.

For option two, placed next to option 1 on the same page, I do a copy/paste but it's always linked to the originally placed object. By making a colour variation to option 2, option 1 changes also... The only way to work without a linked object is to drag the original pdf file again in Designer, but then I have to do all the basis changes (like resizing & positioning) for each variation I want to make.

Is there a way to copy/paste an embedded pdf object without a link to the new object? Or can you unlink an object?

Greetings,

Sander

@sAnderO Welcome to the Affinity Forums.

If you Place the pdf each time rather than copy/pasting it, so Place the first instance of your pdf on the page and then repeat and Place the second instance of the same pdf of the page then both remain embedded but editable individually, so editing the second file won't affect the first one.

Affinity Designer 2.4.2 | Affinity Photo 2.4.2 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.2
Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

Affinity Designer 1.7.3 | Affinity Photo 1.7.3 | Affinity Publisher 1.10.8
MacBook Pro 16GB, macOS Monterey 12.7.4, Magic Mouse

Hi Hangman,

Thanks for your quick reply. I know I can avoid the 'problem' of linking by placing or draging the original pdf file each time again, but I'd rather use a copy withing Designer so it directly has the same size, position and changes as the previous variant. 

Hope there's an easy solution for that.

As far as I'm aware that isn't possible but using the transform panel would allow you to match placed image size easily perhaps along with snapping for position or a combination of the two. I appreciate that's not as simple as a copy/paste but equally there is also a case for actually wanting to be able to edit multiple copies of a placed graphic once so it affects all other copies.

Equally you could place multiple copies of your pdf, align them, group them and then transform the group so each instance is transformed in the same way prior to arranging all instances on the page? Again, not as quick as a copy/paste but I don't believe there is any way around it.

Affinity Designer  Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Photo Beta 2.5.0 (2415) | Affinity Publisher Beta 2.5.0 (2415)

One possible alternative would be to create a symbol from your initial opened pdf (depending on how complex it is). This would then allow you to transform the initial placed pdf so it is sized/transformed as you want it and then create a symbol from it. You can then drag multiple instances of the symbol onto your page which will match exactly the initial resized/transformed pdf.

You then have the option to edit any instance of the pdf to change all versions or you can also detach any instance of the pdf to make changes unique to that particular detached instance.

I don't know if that would be a better solution for you but perhaps give it a go and see which works best for your workflow?

https://affinity.serif.com/en-us/tutorials/designer/desktop/video/301628203/

Take a quick look at the video link I posted, that may help to understand how it works and to see whether it will give you what you're looking for...

2 hours ago, sAnderO said:

I'm quite new to Affinity, loving its easy workflow, but struggle with automatically linked objects. I have a vector pdf design (a carpet print to use as a texture in 3d CAD) which I want to change in different variations. 

What is the nature of the change you want to do to this Carpet Print. If it is just the colour that could be done with colour overlays or a Recolour adjustment layer.

Mac Pro (Late 2013) Mac OS 12.7.4 
Affinity Designer 2.4.1 | Affinity Photo 2.4.1 | Affinity Publisher 2.4.1 | Beta versions as they appear.

I have never mastered color management, period, so I cannot help with that.

Actually thinking about it further, a simple change to your workflow would actually give you exactly what you want. If instead of placing/dragging your pdf onto the canvas you Open the pdf instead, then simply group the elements and either resize your document or resize the opened pdf within your existing document so it appears at the size you need it then you can Copy/Paste or Alt Drag to your heart's content to create new instances all of which are independently editable.

The only caveat being, should the pdf you open contain fonts you don't have on your system you will potentially run into font compatibility issues but if no fonts are involved or you already have the fonts on your system then this would I think give you exactly what you want with a simple Copy/Paste solution.

29 minutes ago, Old Bruce said:

What is the nature of the change you want to do to this Carpet Print. If it is just the colour that could be done with colour overlays or a Recolour adjustment layer.

Potentially not so easy to achieve when the pdf is embedded since there is no easy way to change individual elements within the embedded file, unless @sAnderO is looking to change the colour of the entire pdf.

@sAnderO

Are you on MAC or Windows?

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

@Old Bruce I'm using a carpet in my interior design of a library. The pdf has three layers, a base colour, some spots/figures, and a layer with illustrations. I'd like to make colour variations on each complete layer. Like shown in the added image in this post.

@carl123 It's on Windows

@Hangman Opening the pdf does the job! Easy and quick! However creating a symbol shows me new ways to create patterns! I'm gonna use that function in the future to create seamless patterns! Very, very nice function!

Thanks to you all guys for your fast and quick responses, nice helping community!

2021-09-10 21_00_30.jpg

Edited by sAnderO

7 hours ago, sAnderO said:

@carl123 It's on Windows

After you copy the PDF, use...

Edit > Paste Special > Serif Persona Nodes

See if that does what you want

To save time I am currently using an automated AI to reply to some posts on this forum. If any of "my" posts are wrong or appear to be total b*ll*cks they are the ones generated by the AI. If correct they were probably mine. I apologise for any mistakes made by my AI - I'm sure it will improve with time.

On 9/10/2021 at 9:22 PM, carl123 said:

After you copy the PDF, use...

Edit > Paste Special > Serif Persona Nodes

See if that does what you want

Just as a side note, there is no Edit > Paste Special item in the Mac version. Anybody know if one of the Edit > Paste options available in the Mac version will work for this?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

@R C-R Only using the method mentioned in my 5th post, i.e., open rather than place the initial pdf, group it, transform it and then copy/paste it. You are then editing separate individual copies of the pdf rather than the same embedded, duplicated copy.