You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

lost toolbars since moving to M1 iMac

Hi, I have Affinity Photo, Designer and Publisher. I bought Photo and Designer when I had my Intel iMac. I migrated my files from the old to the new mac then bought Publisher. My problem is that the Context toolbar is missing in Photo and Designer when I'm in Separated mode, even though 'Show context toolbar' is ticked. Grateful for any help : )

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums, @sandraseal.

Did your old machine have a different monitor setup (more monitors, windows arranged on different monitors) than your new machine?

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

• Staff

Hi @sandraseal :)

In addition to Walt's question, could you please provide a screenshot showing this view option ticked and the Affinity app in separated mode?

As mentioned above, if you have a different number of monitors from your previous setup where you've migrated settings from, this could certainly cause the issue you're seeing.

Please navigate to View > Studio > Reset Studio - does this return the context toolbar for you?

Many thanks in advance!

thanks so much for the replies :) screenshots attached. The View>Studio>Reset Studio didn't bring back the bar.

I think you're on to something with the monitors idea. Although I don't have any extra monitors, my old imac was a 27" and my new one is 24", is that the issue do you think? Is it perhaps best to somehow re-download the apps and reinstall? or delete a preferences file or something?

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 1.53.33 pm.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-11 at 1.53.07 pm.png

Edited by sandraseal

From your screenshots, you are missing both the main & the Context toolbars. If you disable Separated mode, do you see both those toolbars at the top of the screen, below the Mac menu bar?

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.2 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

13 hours ago, sandraseal said:

Is it perhaps best to somehow re-download the apps and reinstall? or delete a preferences file or something?

You could try resetting the app, but if you're not careful you could also lose assets, brushes, styles, etc. that you've added. The easiest next step is probably to open the application Preferences, switch to the Miscellaneous section, and Reset User Defaults. This will reset Tools and Toolbar preferences, and settings from the Preferences dialog. But it should preserve everything else.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

thanks for the replies and ideas! :) ok, so I reset the user defaults in Photo and Designer, quit and reopened the apps, but no change. I haven't added any custom styles etc as I'm quite new to using these apps, so they're as they were out of the box and I could reset the app (if you please tell me how?) without losing anything. I've attached two screenshots of what I see if I disable Separated mode, does that shed any light?

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 10.34.34 am.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-12 at 10.34.52 am.png

Edited by sandraseal
wanted to upload new screenshots which show an open file

9 hours ago, sandraseal said:

I've attached two screenshots of what I see if I disable Separated mode, does that shed any light?

Those look right.

To do a full reset to the Factory state:

1. Press the Ctrl key and hold it until step 3.
  2. Click on an application to start it. You will get a Clear User Data dialog.
  3. Release Ctrl, click Select All, and then click Clear.

-- Walt
PC:

• 2 weeks later...