You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Art boards break the integration with designer

CM0

I use art boards a lot because they significantly speed up my workflow and management.

However, when I need to do some more advanced work in photo, it often is painful due to how broken the art boards are in photo.  The root of most problems seems to be that photo ignores the boundaries of the art board and tries to perform all operations on the entire document causing lots of weird issues.

The better integration between apps is supposed to be one of the key advantages of the affinity suite, but it really falls flat in this area.

I really hope this could be fixed.

It would help if you could supply some specific examples of the exact issues you have. It will be difficult to investigate and log the issues otherwise. And difficult to know if your problems are the same as others already logged.

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

So I will list these starting with the most important per my use.

You can try these with the attached sample file.

1) Use the wand selection to select the sky in artboard2
  - refine selection
  - create new layer and mask
  - the mask and layer will do something weird.  It is different for every document.  It will appear in some strange place and much of the document will turn blank.
  - I often have documents with about 50 artboards.  When this happens I can't find where it went.

2) Create a selection using a sampled color in artboard2.
  - click apply
  - the selection will spread to the rest of the documents
  - the selection in this case seems to still somewhat work, but is very confusing at least.

3) These effects are broken as the center is misplaced
    Rectangular to polar
    Polar to Rectangular
    Vignette

sample-problem.afphoto

Thanks.

#1 is certainly interesting.

#2 seems to work for me (1.10 beta)

#3: I'm not what Rectangular to Polar and vice versa are. But the Vignette and other Live Filters are centered on the canvas by default. And when you have a document with Artboards I think the "canvas" is the area that encompasses all the Artboards. Thus, for example:

image.png.87c0f2580287d6be1a57df602a6ce327.png

The issues I noted earlier were all related to this interpretation of the canvas, I think. But I can't find the one I'm especially thinking of; only a couple of other threads I participated in that were related to that.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

This is what the selection looks like for me with #2

You can see there is a marquee that extends around both art boards.

image.thumb.png.5b0862399885a5e3d9b28d2d8841c3cd.png

#3 - yes many effects you can click in the canvas to set the location of effect.  However, for a few like vignette, I am not aware of any way to do this which makes them unusable with art boards.

10 minutes ago, CM0 said:

This is what the selection looks like for me with #2

You can see there is a marquee that extends around both art boards.

I didn't get that, but probably I didn't follow exactly your recipe.

-- Walt
PC:

I just clicked in artboard2.  It looks like this before I hit apply.

After clicking apply, the marquee then extends to cover both art boards.  Maybe it is fixed in 1.10 unless there is some setting or preference that might affect that behavior.

image.png.038f8092250a31f0314977376ec2a959.png

#1 - Thanks!

#2 - I will experiment more with this and get back if I figure it out

#3 - By design makes no sense.  Why would I want to apply an effect to an artboard that doesn't use the artboard as the context of the effect?  If this is truly by design, then these effects should be disabled when you have artboards in the document.

The problem is that AD lack some features or is bugged when using masks, but opening the same file in AP won't help since it isn't able to manwge artboards well...

It should be a bug, not by design, since the apps should be complementary. There are lot of problems with masks (and adjustements layers, since they are masks) in AD and APub. They can work on an image's area, but are at loss with pages' and artboards' area.

• Staff

It is by design because it hasn't been designed to work any other way. Ideally the app would know what the artboard is and focus the filters on the selected artboard but it just hasn't been developed that way yet. 

I have raised this with the developers and I'm waiting feedback.

#4 is a known issue so I've included your post in the bug report.