You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Where do I find the Publisher "My Presets" presets so I can copy them?

I'd like to copy the presets for Publisher that I made on my other system so I can copy them and put them onto my new system. Is this even possible. I've got quite a few on the old Mac, but they don't populate into the new iMac installation. Apparently not in the cloud.

Does anyone know where they may be?

Thanks

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

Publisher. Designer. Photo for Mac, PC & iOS 

@Affinity-Inspiration

It's not clear which presets you're asking about, because lots of things in each of the Affinity applications have presets.

However, you'll generally find them in the "user" folder (at least that's what it's called on Windows). This FAQ article tells where to find it, for both Mac and Windows, and depending on which Store you purchased from:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

In Publisher, when you create a new document, you can create your own page/layout and it’s then stored under the Tab, “My Presets”…

So it’s not something imported, but created when you create the new document.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

I've just created a new file preset and it appears to be stored in C:\Users\DavidChill\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Publisher\1.0\user

as a file named doc_spread_presets.propcol

I doubt that a windows path will be of any use but hopefully the filename is common. Good luck finding it

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

1 minute ago, David in Яuislip said:

but hopefully the filename is common. Good luck finding

That's the name given in the FAQ article. Thanks.

-- Walt
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.

@walt.farrell I didn't read the article but created a dummy preset then looked for a file that had changed. A quick nose with a hex editor and I saw the title amongst the gibberish

Microsoft Windows 11 Home, Intel i7-1360P 2.20 GHz, 32 GB RAM, 1TB SSD, Intel Iris Xe
Affinity Photo - 24/05/20, Affinity Publisher - 06/12/20, KTM Superduke - 27/09/10

Well, I found it on the Mac, in the app directory. Contents->Resources

But it’s not the container.. both the old one on the first Mac, and the new one on the new Mac are both the same size.

Replacing the new with the old makes no difference. 
so the actual presets are held somewhere else. Probably pointed to by the propcol file.

hmmm

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

1 hour ago, HarryMcGovern said:

in the app directory. Contents->Resources

On windows there are two versions of doc_spread_presets.propcol. The one in User, not Resources, shows the new preset. Are you sure you've located the correct version?

PresetPropcol.png

44 minutes ago, David in Яuislip said:

The one in User, not Resources, shows the new preset.

Good point. The files in Resources provide the "factory default" values.

1 hour ago, HarryMcGovern said:

Well, I found it on the Mac, in the app directory. Contents->Resources

No. As the FAQ states, it's in

• ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/
  • or ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitypublisher/Data/Library/Application Support/user/
  • or ~/Library/Containers/Affinity Publisher/Data/Library/Application Support/user/

depending on where you purchased and what version of macOS you're running.

-- Walt
PC:

FWIW, I bought Publisher from the Serif store & the 'my presets' items are stored in a file named "doc_spread_presets.propcol." it is located in the ~/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/ folder.

I bought AD & AP from the MAS & they also store 'my presets' in files named  "doc_spread_presets.propcol" but the enclosing folder is ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinitydesigner/Data/Library/Application Support/user/ & ~/Library/Containers/com.seriflabs.affinityphoto/Data/Library/Application Support/user/ respectively.

Note that the tilde & first slash denote the current user's home folder. ~/Library/ is a normally hidden folder. It is not the same as the root level Library or System/Library folders.

All 3 1.10.8, & all 3 V2.4.1 Mac apps; 2020 iMac 27"; 3.8GHz i7, Radeon Pro 5700, 32GB RAM; macOS 10.15.7
Affinity Photo 
1.10.8; Affinity Designer 1.108; & all 3 V2 apps for iPad; 6th Generation iPad 32 GB; Apple Pencil; iPadOS 15.7

Ok, found it.

Same on both systems, apart from size.

The old one - the one I want. 12kb, the new install, 2kb.

/Users/robertchalmers/Library/Application Support/Affinity Publisher/user/doc_spread_presets.propcol

I replaced the new install with the old protocol file from the original, and there's my preset layouts.

Nice

Thanks for the pointers folks.

iPad Mini 6.  256GB.

@Affinity-Inspiration

• 2 years later...

I came here to find this information.  I am now using version 2, which has a different location.  For me it is -

C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Photo\2.0\Workspaces\Custom\Photo
C:\Users\~\AppData\Roaming\Affinity\Designer\2.0\Workspaces\Custom\Vector