You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

picture frames can have outlines but no fill(?)

When placing logos (which have often times transparent backgrounds) inside a picture frame I want to have control over the readability. Especially if placing them over an image. So if the logo designer did not include a white background (paper is always white, so why bother...) and I don't want to risk altering the logo, I usually assign a white fill to the picture frame which then provides the opaque background for the logo.

I'm not able to do this in AfPub. Which is weird because a stroke is possible...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);
  • Keyboard layout: german apple extended keyboard (aluminium);

1 hour ago, woefi said:

I'm not able to do this in AfPub.

Disable the "Clear fill on populate" button.

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

1 hour ago, woefi said:

the logo designer did not include a white background

I will never include white background unless it's an actual part of the design.
And vice versa, I always want to bang my head against a wall because of designers who do, and who are thus wasting my time having to remove it.

But that's likely just me. :P

MacBookAir 15": MacOS Ventura > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // MacBookPro 15" mid-2012: MacOS El Capitan > Affinity v1 / MacOS Catalina > Affinity v1, v2, v2 beta // iPad 8th: iPadOS 16 > Affinity v2

Just now, loukash said:

an actual part of the design

… as in – let's not look too far – my own logo.

2 hours ago, loukash said:

I will never include white background unless it's an actual part of the design.
And vice versa, I always want to bang my head against a wall because of designers who do, and who are thus wasting my time having to remove it.

But that's likely just me.

+1

No, we are 2!

Logos shouldn't be put on white square or rectangle unless it's part of the design. It's usually not allowed, and you need to check the graphical charter for the logo/brand. They'll provide examples, it can be using a white/grey/black logo depending of the background color, or other colors if allowed, or it can be completely forbidden to use the logo on something different than white, or solid color, etc.

13 minutes ago, Wosven said:

It's usually not allowed

To be fair, placing a logo on white background is usually allowed, no matter what…
But so are often light tints, and that's where a built-in white background gets in the way.

12 minutes ago, Wosven said:

parts of the logo should be used as mesurements for margins between logo and the top/bottom/left/right sides

Sometimes there's a transparent bounding box included which may (or may not, in some situations) be useful.

At the end of the day… as long as a logo is vector, I'll always find my ways to deal with it. :)

3 hours ago, woefi said:

When placing logos (which have often times transparent backgrounds) inside a picture frame I want to have control over the readability. Especially if placing them over an image.

Additionally to the notes above: Any change, not only background transparency or white, may cause harm and risks unwanted results. Once a colleague opened a client's Logo.AI file and renamed a certain Pantone spot color to "Gold" - just to make the name appear more "logical" in the color palette (InDesign). Unfortunately, a newspaper that had previously successfully printed ads from this client/logo had set a default 4c value in their RIP software for spot colors named "Gold" and as a result, the color that was finally printed was different than the actual logo color. The customer was not amused and demanded a refund from the graphics company. It was a tricky investigation for everyone involved to figure out what had actually happened because initially none thought of a possible and entirely unnecessary manipulation on the clients data (logo file).

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

5 minutes ago, loukash said:

To be fair, placing a logo on white background is usually allowed, no matter what…

Not always if it's only around the logo, without part of an article on the white too.

I even had 2 versions for a logo, depending if it was on the left or the right side. The logo was meant to go in the bleed area (out of the page), but it seems few read the charter, since I saw it few times 5 mm inside the page!

We're drifting mighty off topic, folks…

13 hours ago, loukash said:

Disable the "Clear fill on populate" button.

Thank You very much!! 

Wow, have to say, I had to google your exact phrase for a screenshot, otherwise I would NEVER in a million years found this... It is NOT described in the help under "picture frame"! I append my screenshot for others like me:

377796546_Bildschirmfoto2021-05-20um09_18_36.png.89de1d47f0daf68cbd6861243283770c.png

This looked to me more like a scaling-relevant icon until I hovered over it. Should be moved over to the right, next to "Fill" if you ask me...

• Main machine: iMac 2019 (21,5-inch 4k, 6core), 64GB RAM, 1TB nvme + 2TB ssd, running on Mac OS 13;
  • Display setup: 28" 5k Display (primary) + 21,5" iMac4k-Display for studio panels (secondary);

While I appreciate any button to customise everyones workflow, I would strongly propose to change the default to (OFF). 

Reason:

• If I set a fill, I want to see a fill even with an placed image/logo.
  • If I don't want to have a fill, I usually set the fill to NONE 
  • This is my expected behaviour as it is in line with other DTP-programs (although OK to be able to turn it on if one likes so.)

1 hour ago, woefi said:

change the default to (OFF)

It should theoretically respect Edit>Defaults>Save but it doesn't. (A bug?)

But it does respect "Synchronize defaults from selection" for the currently open document. So if you select your frame with fill enabled and "synchronize defaults", the next frame you create will match that.

2 hours ago, woefi said:

would strongly propose to change the default to (OFF). 

41 minutes ago, loukash said:

It should theoretically respect Edit>Defaults>Save but it doesn't. (A bug?)

It did work for me a few weeks ago to save it as default in OFF state for new Picture Frames, created via Tool or Convert command.
(But it did not work to save a default fill color for new picture frames, too.)

macOS 10.14.6 | MacBookPro Retina 15" | Eizo 27" | Affinity V1

3 minutes ago, thomaso said:

It did work for me a few weeks ago to save it as default in OFF state for new Picture Frames, created via Tool or Convert command.
(But it did not work to save a default fill color for new picture frames, too.)

That would confirm my Big Bug Theory…