You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

afffinity wont open raw files

Welcome to the Affinity forums @drdan53!

6 hours ago, drdan53 said:

What am I doing wrong

Nothing I would say. Could you upload this RAW? Maybe it would help turning off hardware acceleration in Preferences >> Performance.

------
Windows 10 | i5-8500 CPU | Intel UHD 630 Graphics | 32 GB RAM | Latest Retail and Beta versions of complete Affinity range installed

7 hours ago, drdan53 said:

when I try to open raw files (NEF) I just get a black image I am using Nikon D780 What am I doing wrong

Which OS (operating system) and Affinity Photo version number are you using?

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

1 hour ago, Joachim_L said:

Welcome to the Affinity forums @drdan53!

Nothing I would say. Could you upload this RAW? Maybe it would help turning off hardware acceleration in Preferences >> Performance.

there isn't  setting to turn off the hardware acceleration with the version I am using

Looks Ok here on Affinity Photo 1.9.3 Mac for a D780 NEF file I fetched from here for tryouts.

d780_sample.jpg.646ef3d2c8b7fb95a525897d0fddc6df.jpg

If it doesn't work on your side for the NEFs, even you disabled OpenCL in the APh Windows performance settings, then tryout the latest Windows Beta ...

☛ Affinity Designer 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Photo 1.10.8 ◆ Affinity Publisher 1.10.8 ◆ OSX El Capitan
☛ Affinity V2.3 apps ◆ MacOS Sonoma 14.2 ◆ iPad OS 17.2

• Staff

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @drdan53, I'd like to first try updating your GPU drivers.

Our latest update implemented OpenCL Hardware Acceleration to Windows, which utilises your Graphics Card to help render the Affinity document.
A few users are experiencing issues with this enabled, the number one cause of which is outdated Graphics Card drivers. Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html 
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-driver-autodetect

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.

If this does not help, then I'd like to next try resetting your app to default settings - to see if this resolves things for you.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc.

If this does not help, can you please attach a copy of the RAW file you're opening here?

Many thanks in advance :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

15 hours ago, Dan C said:

Sorry to hear you're having trouble @drdan53, I'd like to first try updating your GPU drivers.

Our latest update implemented OpenCL Hardware Acceleration to Windows, which utilises your Graphics Card to help render the Affinity document.
A few users are experiencing issues with this enabled, the number one cause of which is outdated Graphics Card drivers. Please visit the manufactures link below to download the latest driver available -

- Intel: https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html 
- Nvidia: https://www.geforce.com/drivers
- AMD: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/gpu-driver-autodetect

Note: you may need to go direct to your PC manufactures website for the driver, if you see a warning regarding 'OEM drivers' when trying to install one from the above sites.

Once downloaded and installed, please restart your computer and then launch the Affinity app again.

If this does not help, then I'd like to next try resetting your app to default settings - to see if this resolves things for you.

You can reset your app back to its default settings by holding down the CTRL key while launching the app. When the Clear User Data window appears, click Select All and then Clear. The app will now open.
Be aware that resetting your app back to its default settings will lose any custom settings such as keyboard shortcuts and brushes etc.

If this does not help, can you please attach a copy of the RAW file you're opening here?

Many thanks in advance :)

D78_1944.NEF

• Staff

Thanks for your file, I can confirm this is also importing as black for me - whereas the sample image files I have tested from this camera model all opened correctly.

I will forward this file to our QA/dev team for further investigation. In the meantime can you please confirm for me:

Do you have any compression set for RAW files on your camera?

Do all of your .NEF flies open black, or only certain ones?

Although I don't believe it to be the cause, do you have any RAW files taken using a different lens? Do these open correctly in AP?

Thanks once again :)

Please note -

I am currently out of the office for a short while whilst recovering from surgery (nothing serious!), therefore will not be available on the Forums during this time.

Should you require a response from the team in a thread I have previously replied in - please Create a New Thread and our team will be sure to reply as soon as possible.

Many thanks!

22 minutes ago, Dan C said:

Thanks for your file, I can confirm this is also importing as black for me - whereas the sample image files I have tested from this camera model all opened correctly.

I will forward this file to our QA/dev team for further investigation. In the meantime can you please confirm for me:

Although I don't believe it to be the cause, do you have any RAW files taken using a different lens? Do these open correctly in AP?

raw files wont open no matter what lens I use I had the camera set on compressed files I have since changed the setting to lossless could that have been the problem ?

I haven't tried it yet as it is late night here I will try tomorrow

• Staff
4 hours ago, drdan53 said:

raw files wont open no matter what lens I use I had the camera set on compressed files I have since changed the setting to lossless could that have been the problem ?

Thanks for confirming that for me, it certainly may be the compression set on your camera - are you able to open RAW files that are not compressed by the camera?

For example, can you open the following RAW file correctly?

nikon_d780_07.nef

4 hours ago, PromptAttestation said:

you got any solution if yes please help me also. 

Welcome to the forums @PromptAttestation and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

What camera model do your RAWs originate from? Is your camera set to take RAW files in a compressed format? :)

Please note -

Many thanks!

On 5/5/2021 at 10:50 AM, Dan C said:

On 5/5/2021 at 3:28 PM, Dan C said:

Thanks for confirming that for me, it certainly may be the compression set on your camera - are you able to open RAW files that are not compressed by the camera?

nikon_d780_07.nef 26.03 MB · 1 download

Welcome to the forums @PromptAttestation and I'm sorry to hear you're having trouble!

What camera model do your RAWs originate from? Is your camera set to take RAW files in a compressed format? :)

The file you sent me opened  Hooray I just took some test shots and it is working Many thanks from a very grateful idiot  I have been trying to sort this out for a couple of months 

Danny

• 3 weeks later...
  • Staff

Thanks for your help with this bug "Nikon Z6 opens black in SerifLabs".

We have now resolved the problem and will make the fix available in the next official release of Affinity Photo on your platform.

We believe this issue has already been addressed in these betas, which you are welcome to try before the next version is officially released to all users

Patrick Connor
Serif Europe Ltd

"There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man. True nobility lies in being superior to your previous self."  W. L. Sheldon

On 5/5/2021 at 6:28 PM, Dan C said:

nikon_d780_07.nef 26.03 MB · 2 downloads

oh now i understood. I changed the saving mode. might i have kept for editing purpose.