You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

I have download vector from paid Shutterstock account in EPS format. Already in thumbnail in Finder I have noticed that "background layer" is white and it shouldn't be. After opening that EPS with Affinity designer it didn't had white "background layer" anymore but it did have weird white lines over that "background layer". If you zoom in in that attached image you will see ti. I attached video from Affinity designer as well. 

After searching online for clues, best answer I found was from Reddit:
"Unfortunately, most stock pages offer "adobe EPS"-files (AI-EPS), which include stuff beyond the EPS standards. So, depending on the EPS file, some import flawlessly and some just have proprietary features implemented, which Affinity can't render.
"Illustrator EPS" are very often "cheating". They provide only a (small) pixelated preview, with full native and proprietary AI file format for the real image embedded.
That's also a problem the other way round. A lot of stock pages reject EPS files when created in Affinity, because they expect some features embedded in "AI's way"."

Is that true? Is there is something I can to about it? Do you know if there is any Affinity friendly stock photography website that large collection of photographs and vectors?

shutterstock_1.jpg

That was me replying over there at reddit. Unfortunately, especially when it comes to having gradients in EPS files, the stock pages are way too much focused on Adobe's methods of how to implement them. 

»A designer's job is to improve the general quality of life. In fact, it's the only reason for our existence.«
Paul Rand (1914-1996)

• Staff

Hi @jandorn,

On 4/15/2021 at 8:18 PM, jandorn said:

Is that true? Is there is something I can to about it? 

Unfortunately so, between EPS files from stock sites being .Ai files hidden within a 'EPS wrapper' and Affinity Designer not supporting all the same features as Illustrator currently (such as mesh gradients) there is not much that can be done to change the way these EPS files load in Affinity, my apologies.

On 4/15/2021 at 8:18 PM, jandorn said:

Do you know if there is any Affinity friendly stock photography website that large collection of photographs and vectors?

I recommend starting in our Resources section of the forums, many of our kind forum regulars and users alike share free vector resources for other Affinity users -

https://forum.affinity.serif.com/index.php?/forum/11-resources/

Such as:

I hope this helps :)

After Participating in the Artstation Challenge (Lightbox Expo-Box of Mystery) last year I built a tool for creating 'weird' background skies using vectors...it is in the resources section...see if it helps!:)

Affinity Version 1 (10.6) Affinity Version 2.4.2 All (Designer | Photo | Publisher)   Beta; 2.5 0.2449 (Build 5)
OS:Windows 10 Pro 22H2 OS Build 19045.4046+ Windows Feature Experience Pack 1000.19053.1000.0
Rig:AMD FX 8350 and AMD Radeon (R9 380 Series) Settings Version 21.04.01 
Radeon Settings Version 2020
20.1.03) + Wacom Intuous 4M with driver 6.3.41-1

• 1 year later...

My client has provided me with 20 vector graphics as files in the EPS format. When I open them in Affinity Publisher 2 I see a grid of thin white lines across some sections of the graphics. I need to find some way of removing the white lines so that I can use the vector graphics I've been given. Is there a workaround for this?

New CETC Image 33.eps New CETC Image 34.eps New CETC Image 35.eps

Best format would be Adobe PDF, EPS isn't the best format to get into Affinity. Had to open these in Illustrator and export them out as Adobe PDF.

New CETC Image 34 copy.pdf

New CETC Image 35 copy.pdf

New CETC Image 33 copy.pdf

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  
B| (Please refrain from licking the screen while using this forum)

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

As a fix instead of just converting to Adobe PDF You will notice the lines are formed because there is a grid of squares in a group with a mask, if you select all of the squares underneath the mask, you can Geometry: Add them together thus removing the lines. (Layer > Geometry > Add)

743607783_Screenshot2023-01-27at23_31_47.thumb.png.28b61988e1984519e45b23838bdcc3d2.png

iMac 27" 2019 Somona 14.4.1, iMac 27" Affinity Designer, Photo & Publisher V1 & V2, Adobe, Inkscape, Vectorstyler, Blender, C4D, Sketchup + more... XP-Pen Artist-22E, - iPad Pro 12.9  

Affinity Help - Affinity Desktop Tutorials - Feedback - FAQ - most asked questions

7 hours ago, Graham Clark said:

Thank you, firstdefence. Your suggested fix worked perfectly. In my defence (pun intended), I'm not a graphic designer. I'm a learning experience designer. Again, thanks, firstdefence. 

Glad to help Graham.