You must now use your email address to sign in [click for more info] ×

Affinity Designer Keeps Crashing

• Staff

Hi Dreatern,

Looking at the crash report, I can also only get one to open. However the one I do open from the 16th April looks like its related to some Compound Boolean operations in a document. I presume the crashes you're getting are not restricted to occurring in one document? 

I'll get the crash report passed on to development however.

Thanks for letting us know.

11 hours ago, Sean P said:

Hi Dreatern,

Looking at the crash report, I can also only get one to open. However the one I do open from the 16th April looks like its related to some Compound Boolean operations in a document. I presume the crashes you're getting are not restricted to occurring in one document? 

I'll get the crash report passed on to development however.

Thanks for letting us know.

12 hours ago, Komatös said:

Hello @Dreatern

I can't open the .dmp file from today, 22.04.2021 because it has no valid information.
And the analysis of the dump from 16.04. shows libpersona.dll as the culprit.

@Sean P  will be able to help here 

In the meantime try to run the beta of designer

Thanks for the answer

So, the crash is not happening with the same document.
When Designer crash, it saves a "backup" but with those crashes that restart the computer, there is no option to restore the last session.
I remember crashing once when I tried to move a layer up, and when I placed the second point of a line using the pen tool, it is not just boolean. As I said before, it's random. the computer freezes for a few seconds, the mouse stops working, the keyboard does not respond, and then the machine restarts. This happened several times, each time in a new document.

As suggested in this thread, I turned off the hardware acceleration. When I had the first crash that restarted my computer a few days ago, the first thing I did was to look for similar cases of crash and I have been following this thread.

I'll try the beta build to see if it works. I particularly think that my problem was caused by the windows update (it was an update that restarted the computer and stayed a long time installing everything), it was the only different thing that happened on the computer.

Can you provide me with the information that comes if you press WINDOWS key + R and type winver and click OK button?

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

Affinity Suite V 2.4 & Beta 2.(latest)
Better translations with: https://www.deepl.com/translator  
Interested in a robust (selfhosted) PDF Solution? Have a look at Stirling PDF

Life is too short to have meaningless discussions!

On 4/22/2021 at 5:59 PM, Komatös said:

Can you provide me with the information that comes if you press WINDOWS key + R and type winver and click OK button?

I typed in my first post here. here a screen attached

2Dsb0711_22-21_26.jpg

Edit 1:

Working in a document with basic grid (no grid at all) nothing happens.  If I work with the isometric grid, edit in plane, and snap enabled, at some point it crashes. It may have something to do with snap and/or the grid

Edit 2:

A new windows update appeared ( 20H2 ). I will install this update and see if the problem goes away.  

Edit 3:

After the windows update 20H2 I'm using Design for for several hours and no crash, even doing heavy things with several artworks and other software running in background

Dear Affinity Team,

The application continues to crash (turns monitor fully black and then goes to the desktop). I've tried to capture it while recording but it didn't seem to happen (over 4 hours of use). The only applications I routinely have open while working is Discord, or iTunes; not sure if that helps in any fashion.

Sincerely,
EC71PZ

64a88e02-f6d3-4ffb-81c8-4b299c83de0d.dmp e3037bf9-6936-4306-99ea-dd8c730403d7.dmp

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Affinity Team,

The application continues to crash on me time and time again. I'm sure I have the latest updates from Windows 10 and on AD (bought on Affinity store) 19.2.

It does not matter if I start a new work from scratch or if I import a picture, the result is still the same. With a somewhat regular timeframe, AD Always crashes. Some work is simpler, some more intricate but the crashes still keeps on coming ("program not responding"). This has been going on since day 1 of use. For the moment I'm not to happy.

Reading here on the forum it's obvious you've known about the problem for some time. My guess is that we all are asking the same question - When can we expect a real solution to the problem?

Hello @Tiina

There can be many reasons why an Affinity programme stops responding. One possible reason is that the graphics card of the pc/laptop does not support hardware acceleration. As an immediate remedy, I recommend deactivating the hardware acceleration under Edit -> Preferences -> Performance.

If this does not work, information on the hardware used (CPU, GPU, RAM) would be useful.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | INTEL Arc A770 LE 16 GB  | 32 GB DDR4 3200MHz | Windows 11 Pro 23H2 (22631.3296)
AMD A10-9600P | dGPU R7 M340 (2 GB)  | 8 GB DDR4 2133 MHz | Windows 10 Home 22H2 (1945.3803) 

1 hour ago, Komatös said:

Hello @Tiina

There can be many reasons why an Affinity programme stops responding. One possible reason is that the graphics card of the pc/laptop does not support hardware acceleration. As an immediate remedy, I recommend deactivating the hardware acceleration under Edit -> Preferences -> Performance.

If this does not work, information on the hardware used (CPU, GPU, RAM) would be useful.

Thank you for your reply, I will for sure try that 🙂 

A question about the graphic card, is there a minimum card you need to have to stop the "not responding" ? I'm in the process of getting a bigger laptop and then I will be sure to have the right requirement gadgets on the new one. If several components on a PC/Laptop need a minimum for the program to work flawless it might be useful to post a list somewhere her on the forum?.

As I had already written, there are many circumstances that can lead to an unresponsive programme. Third-party anti-virus software can also cause programmes to lag. Or, what is relatively exotic, the timings of the RAM.

Sometimes it also helps to install Windows clean, i.e. without the crapware that is installed by the system manufacturer. 

I would recommend a system with at least 16 GB RAM and dedicated graphics card (e.g. NVIDIA RTX 2060), with its own memory. A system without a dGPU always uses the main memory as well.

• 5 months later...

Hi to all,

My first post... I have similar challenge (see video attached 6.67MB, poor resolution to save bandwidth for you guys.Original video if you need: 73.1MB),

Affinity Photo and Designer both crashed the same way... just moving the mouse a bit when a scare is opened in affinity Designer made it crash.

Windows 10 Pro, MSI GE76-Raider-11UE, GeForce RTX 3060, 64RAM.

Hardware acceleration disabled.

I uninstalled both of them... clean all traces, in the registry too. Restarted, reinstall Affinity Designer only without any add-Ins... still crashing...

Need your Expertise...

9 hours ago, ZenMo said:

Need your Expertise...

Welcome to the Serif Affinity forums.

'Such problems are often caused by video driver problems. Frequently, completely removing them and installing the latest version from the manufacturer will help. Or sometimes switching from the Gaming version to the Studio version of the drivers.

You might also check the list of third-party software that can cause problems:

-- Walt
Designer, Photo, and Publisher V1 and V2 at latest retail and beta releases
PC:
    Desktop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 64GB memory, AMD Ryzen 9 5900 12-Core @ 3.00 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 

Laptop:  Windows 11 Pro, version 23H2, 32GB memory, Intel Core i7-10750H @ 2.60GHz, Intel UHD Graphics Comet Lake GT2 and NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3070 Laptop GPU.
iPad:  iPad Pro M1, 12.9": iPadOS 17.4.1, Apple Pencil 2, Magic Keyboard 
Mac:  2023 M2 MacBook Air 15", 16GB memory, macOS Sonoma 14.4.1

Thanks Walt...

... I changed GeForce NVIDIA gaming driver v. to Studio v. ... still blk/freeze...

All drivers are up to date from device manager... Windows up to date... all others too...

I did new video: started Designer / opened new Document / I moved the mouse pointer just a bit on the document, blk out/freeze...

Really need your help...

Dunno if this helps....when I bought a new desktop(Acer NITRO), I basically MAXXED out the RAM capability of the computer(64GB). Yes it's definitely overkill, but funnily enough...a LOT less crashes, even with brush changes, color changes etc. Stuff that normally wouldn't even make AI blink. It does crash still sometimes, but a lot less rarely...I also keep the internet/wifi/ethernet disabled.

• 1 month later...

So, I finally bought a new laptop about a month ago, no overkill, a Lenova Legion gaming laptop: 

• AMD Ryzen™ 5 5600H-processor
  • Nvidia GeForce RTX 3060-grafik
  • 16 GB DDR4 RAM, 1024 GB SSD

Good News: Now when having all 3 Affinity programs open at the same time, switching back and forth in between them, "everything works like a charm". It's quick and easy and there's No crashes 🙂 The only difference with my old lap, besides the upgrades to the lap it self (incl. Windows 11) is that the new one don't have any of the old Serif programs in it, the rest is just the same. I wonder if the old Serif could have disturbed the new Affinity?

Affinity Designer Keeps Crashing

Sometime to evade incompatibility issue, drivers must be updated to the latest from the manufacturer site.

We found out that an old driver version of the mouse will behave erratically with Affinity.

Try updating your mouse driver. In addition, make sure all your drivers are up to date by the Manufacturers.

We are still monitoring & making some test…

As Walt farrell said, outdated drivers are one of the main cause of problems…  👍 Walt.